A question for all you tech experts

Skwink

FRIIIIIIIIIITZ
I've got a 2009 Plastic Macbook, here are it's specs:

2.3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Nividia GEforce 9400M 256 MB

2GBs RAM

Now I can most Mac games, and most Valve Games, with some stuttering. If I upgraded to 4gbs of RAM would I be able to get better performance?

Ram is really only going to help with loading times and multitasking. The Geforce 9400m is probably your choke point. Extra ram will help out if your working with memory intense applications such as graphics or multimedia software, but its not going to likely give you any frame-rate performance in game. That said, its a good upgrade if you are bad about having 100 tabs open or running several different applications at once.

I'm not aware of the specific application for Mac, but it is possible to view your memory usage at any moment. Games and applications use just as much memory paused as they do when unpaused. So you can see the memory usage at peak load and see if it is very high.

Your system has virtual memory, physical memory, and paged memory. You want your paged memory to be less than your unused physical memory, and your total virtual memory to be less then your total physical memory (this is the same statistic counted in different ways). If that's the case, then Increasing the amount of physical memory will have no impact.

Few games are limited by memory. Most are limited by graphics cards, and some are limited by the CPU. So those are the parts that you should look to upgrade to have the biggest impact on performance. Also, for general purpose speedup, consider getting faster memory instead of more memory. There are a number of statistics for memory speed, but CAS latency is good one to judge by, and the others tend to follow it. Faster memory is not likely to be a significant speedup for most cases however, especially not graphics bound applications.

Ram is really only going to help with loading times and multitasking.
RAM won't help loading times. To decrease loading and startup times, you can upgrade your harddrive, possibly to a SSD.

RAM won't help loading times. To decrease loading and startup times, you can upgrade your harddrive, possibly to a SSD.

Should of been more specific. With regards to games in particular, ram does help with loading times, specifically for maps in FPS's and such. I'm not talking about boot up time here.

Moderator Action: moved to Computer Talk

Top Bottom