A question to warmongers...

macmert

Prince
I want to ask to warmongers, newbies and veterans alike...

I heard that veteran warmongers beat the game way before modern era... But doesn't it spoil all the fun of having nukes and marines and blitzing tanks and modern infantries? What do you think of that? Does any warmonger out there wait till modern era to wage war?

I personally dont play a lot of warmongering but I would like to wage war with gunships and tanks rather than trebs and cats...

I like my warring early. By the modern age there's a lot of unit types to keep track of, especially if you include air and naval units. Not to mention the lengthier turns fro managing a massive empire as well as a massive military. I play epic speed so I still have lots of fun. I just wiped out Portugal on my current game in the 1500s and it was immensely satisfying. ^^ Bunches of trebs, stack of macemen with a few leftover swordsmen awaiting promotion. Great fun.
Sure its fun to have tanks if you get them before your opponent does so you can steamroll them, but I tend to arrive at an enemy city and find all sorts of different units waiting for me with no real idea of what I should counter with. I'll get there eventually. :p

Personally I love to attack with Tanks and so but my favorite Warmongering is plunging into enemy territory with my hordes of Cossacks, my favourite (and I feel one of the strongest) UU ..

Best time so far to have them on Monarch was around 1350 ...

I really like to warmonger with modern troops since it may not be efficient but it is pure fun, I would like to see if people sacrifice fun for efficiency...

I'm warring modern on my island map and in the middle of the pack techwise. The US and others are maybe 4-5 ahead. Especially the US who could wipe me out if they so felt but oddly are going for a space victory leaving a huge military stockpile in Washington! I on the other hand have most of the world's uranium, an almost complete Manhatton, a set of waiting subs, landing craft (transports) with battleship & carrier cover and a cash pile to boot. :mischief:

I'm warring modern on my island map and in the middle of the pack techwise. The US and others are maybe 4-5 ahead. Especially the US who could wipe me out if they so felt but oddly are going for a space victory leaving a huge military stockpile in Washington! I on the other hand have most of the world's uranium, an almost complete Manhatton, a set of waiting subs, landing craft (transports) with battleship & carrier cover and a cash pile to boot. :mischief:

ahahahahahahahaha!!! Good luck mate, I personally love the mushroom effect on my screen... I guess you all guys remember the civ addict videos, the old lady who wage war with nukes :D I also love Broken Star mod too since the nukes are way overpowered...

I like playing with the two good sides:

I like early wars, wiping one enemies or two before even rifling.

But, some enemies (or "allies") are there in the map...

IN conclusion... I like finishing some enemies, and finishing the rest in post-modern ages. :)

I guess many people like to keep the balance to have fun and to beat the game, as you know there are certain guidelines to beat the game without breaking a sweat but it feels so... automated to me... It is good to set up a goal and try to reach it, but having a bit chaos, smoke, fire and brimstone is good too IMO :D

Also I feel for the AI... I am pathetic I know but if a civ is pleased or friendly towards me, I cant wage war to them or cheat them in trade... That explains why I cant beat AI in warlord difficulty right? :D

Personally I don't like quick domination victories. Civ is not that good as a classical/medieval war simulation game only.

I'm a warmonger... and I usually play on LARGE maps with multiple continents and large oceans...

I'm usually (more-or-less) in a constant state of war... from ancient times to modern times... the first half of the game is usually securing my continent and/or nearby islands, followed by an industrial-age expansion for overseas empire.

I wouldn't say I finish before modern times... in fact, it's modern times that I usually finish my games in... but usually it's early to mid modern times... aka: WWII tech that I finish my games in. Once I get airlifts, paratroopers and WWII tanks and aircraft, I can blitzkrieg my remaining opponents fairly effectively and fast.

So, it's EXTREMELY rare for me to reach late-modern units such as jets/modern armor and nukes... I'm usually done in a WWII tech-timeframe. But I do reach modern times before I'm done (and that's with more-or-less constant warfare from the start of the game).

Gamespeed and difficulty play a huge role. Smaller maps and slower speeds I'll tend to win in the renaissance and earlier. On quick or hard difficulties it's going into modern times. I play a wide range of settings now so it varies!

Well, I don't see any fun in postponing a guaranteed win only to let the AI twitch a little longer.

I never lost a game in which I was the first to found a corporation. With Mining.Inc, my conquered cities become production powerhouses fueling further conquest, and the whole thing snowballs. Sure, I could use my production edge for peaceful means and ride the advantage home to a comfortable Space win... but again that means I'm just disregarding the obvious and efficient route to victory.
The main reason to avoid corporations is that you're already winning and there isn't enough time left in the game for them to be worth the bother.

Immortal games and below are usually in the bag during the medieval age - at this time I usually know I can get to some game-breaker without any AI being close. Some are guaranteed wins the instant I no longer need to fear barbarian uprisings.

If I want to have the chance to get to the late game (without blatantly disregarding obvious wins), I need to play Deity... but there are so many things wrong with that difficulty that the game feels very artificial to me.

Along the lines of Wolfshanze's response, play huge non-Pangaea maps. I usually play huge Big & Small. In most games, I have plenty of nearby rivals to keep me busy until the industrial era or a bit before, and there are still overseas rivals to let me slake my industrial/modern warfare thirsts. I agree with you that modern warfare is really fun, and sometimes I'll hold out for a bit and build just so I can get a good modern war in, but most of the time it's unnecessary.

i like warmonger with trebs and maces (or knights)
and tanks and marines.
MARINE AMPHIBIOUS ATTACK OWNS.
especially on Big and Small MAp because the AI has colonies everywhere.

I am usually too late to wage war in medieval era, I manage to have enough troops in the modern era so I am kinda obliged to wage war late, cause I suck at balanced growth and military production :(

Question here: How exactly do most people wage medieval wars? I do them and I conquer cities, but they seem very costly compared to all the other eras. (including classical!) With my enemy having castles in every city, my catapults and trebuchets seem to only whittle down 4 - 6% at a time, meaning you either have to sit outside the city for three or four turns or attack with only some of the defense removed. Is this normal?

Also my city raider trebuchets don't have a perfect survival rate against longbows... they kill them, but not without losses. Which only compounds with my barrage problem at the next castle. Even when churning out trebuchets back at the home front... trebs don't grow on trees! They're freakin' expensive. :p

And no, I can't use spies to remove city defenses. At that point in the game I don't nearly have enough espionage for that costly mission.

Difficulty level is the key here.

Most people play on a difficultly level that's way below what they should be playing. IF they were playing a suitable difficulty level, the AI's would put up a better fight, and the game would last until the modern age.

Question here: How exactly do most people wage medieval wars? I do them and I conquer cities, but they seem very costly compared to all the other eras. (including classical!) With my enemy having castles in every city, my catapults and trebuchets seem to only whittle down 4 - 6% at a time, meaning you either have to sit outside the city for three or four turns or attack with only some of the defense removed. Is this normal?

Also my city raider trebuchets don't have a perfect survival rate against longbows... they kill them, but not without losses. Which only compounds with my barrage problem at the next castle. Even when churning out trebuchets back at the home front... trebs don't grow on trees! They're freakin' expensive. :p

And no, I can't use spies to remove city defenses. At that point in the game I don't nearly have enough espionage for that costly mission.
More trebs to begin with. I try to bring enough to get me through a couple of cities initially, recognizing that it will take a while, during which I can add more. My cities start building reinforcement trebs before I ever lose one, usually before the war is even declared. Then I do just what you said, sit outside the city, preferably on a hill or forest, and ding away at the cultural defense turn after turn, each turn checking the odds with my top city-buster.

This is the era where the 25% supermedic really starts to shine. With one of those in my stack, I can attack with my top city raiders when the odds are finally good enough, and let them heal for a couple turns of dinging the defense down before attacking again at full strength. This way one of two things happens. Either I whittle down the garrison along with the city defenses, or the enemy keeps pouring units in, which means more victories and XP for me, not to mention a bit easier time at the next city.

I like warring in the late game but my games are usually won far before that. Normally it either gets abandoned because it's all clean-up work or finished in medieval times.

@ Joshua368
Blitzkrieg. Use fast attacks to take a city or three then take peace. That gives to time to heal and replenish your stack.

Top Bottom