A Simple and Regulated NES

uknemesis

The Nemesis
Please read the sticky about NESs if you do not know what one is.

I am beginning a new NES(I know what you're thinking, not another one!) because I think that combat is unfairly regulated in others, as the decision maker usually plays a country.

In this one, the only countries I will control are those without players, and I will do this only in the capacity of defending themselves, and possibly limited diplomatic negotiations. While judging combat against these, I will be completely fair, a raid against a nation without a leader is very likely to succeed. But if you try a total invasion, then I will no longer make them a pushover, as a nation even if it hasn't got a leader will fight if it is invaded.

TECH LEVELS

We advance one tech level every Sunday at midnight GMT. For simplicity, your army is only made up of one type of unit, and your navy the same(until aircraft carriers), and as you advance, it automatically upgrades.

When you reach the atomic age, you receive an air force and aircraft carriers. The numbers of planes and carriers you receive will be posted by me when the time comes.

A nation with a more advanced army or navy has a better chance in combat, but start with 100 less ships or regiments. This is made up for by those who begin in medieval, instead of advancing into another age when those still in atomic upgrade to modern, get the extra 100 back, either as planes, ships or regiments.

ie; Britain advances to the modern age ahead of China. On the Sunday when China advances to the modern age, instead of advancing to another age(there isn't another one), the British instead get an extra 100 planes, ships or regiments. Which one they receive is their choice.

ANCIENT AGE
Army: spearmen Navy: galleys

MEDIEVAL AGE
Army: knights Navy: frigates

NAPOLEONIC AGE
Army: musketmen Navy: ships of the line

VICTORIAN AGE
Army: riflemen Navy: ironclad

IMPERIAL AGE
Army: infantry Navy:dreadnought

ATOMIC AGE
Army: tanks Navy: battleships and carriers Air Force: fighter-bombers

MODERN AGE
Army: modern armour Navy: AEGIS cruisers and supercarriers Air Force: jet fighter-bombers

When modern age is reached, the game stays in that age until the end. Those already there and waiting for those behind to advance get a 100 unit boost instead of advancing, as talked about above. You only get this boost once. Countries which begin in the ancient age never get this boost.

You may wish to name your type of unit something else, ie; samurai for Japan instead of knights, or panzers for Germany instead of tanks. These will be allowed, but they will still fight as if they were the unit they are replacing.

TIME

One year in the game is one real day. Every seven game years, you advance one age(as mentioned above).

This page will be updated every day hopefully, and have a big update once a week, on Sunday or Monday night.

UNIT COMPOSITION

Regiment= 1,000 men
Division= 10,000 men

COMBAT

When you invade somewhere, or fight a country, say what forces you will use. Then the enemy must say what forces they will use. If the attack is against a non-playing country, I will decide the opposing forces. These will usually be small numbers unless you specifically want to hunt down a large group or you are attacking their capital.

Also expect sometimes that there will be natives in places you colonise. If there is, and they are hostile, then I will tell you, and they will probably begin to attack your forces. However, they are usually primitive, and not much of a threat.

Men and ships lost are only replaced on Sunday midnight GMT, when you advance one tech level.

COUNTRIES

Apart from the boost of 100 in the modern age for the more advanced countries(see above) so that all are equal, no one may have a larger army or navy than is listed here for them.

Notice that those who begin in medieval have a total of 900 ships and regiments, and those who begin in ancient have 1000 in total. This is why the more advanced get the boost in the modern age.

Please note this is not based on actual world history.

GREAT BRITAIN
Leader: King Blackadder(Dexter)
Capital: London
Army: 15 divisions(150 regiments or 150,000 men)
Navy: 750 ships not including transports
Tech Level: Medieval

FRANCE
Leader: King Monrique de Bourbon IV(Toasty)
Capital: Paris
Army: 65 divisions(650 regiments or 650,000 men)
Navy: 250 ships not including transports

GERMANY
Leader: King Haakon Magnusson(wilboman)
Capital: Berlin
Army: 70 divisions(700 regiments or 700,000 men)
Navy: 200 ships not including transports

ROME
Leader: Caesar Augustus(Bill_in_PDX)
Capital: Rome
Army: 45 divisions(450 regiments or 450,000 men)
Navy: 450 ships not including transports

RUSSIA
Leader: Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov (Sulla)
Capital: Moscow
Army: 95 divisions(950 regiments or 950,000 men)
Navy: 50 ships not including transports
Tech Level: Ancient

SPAIN
Leader: Rey Juan Carlos II(Kwansn)
Capital: Madrid
Army: 50 divisions(500 regiments or 500,000 men)
Navy: 400 ships not including transports

OTTOMAN TURKEY
Leader: Mehmed Pasha(Das)
Capital: Istanbul
Army: 80 divisions(800 regiments or 800,000 men)
Navy: 200 ships not including transports

SWEDEN
Leader: Emperor Hans Hickthen(SKILORD)
Capital: Stockholm
Army: 60 divisions(600 regiments or 600,000 men)
Navy: 300 ships not including transports

EGYPT
Leader: ?
Capital: Cairo
Army: 85 divisions(850 regiments or 850,000 men)
Navy: 150 ships not including transports

AMERICA
Leader: President Al Gore(sealman)
Capital: Washington
Army: 40 divisions(400 regiments or 400,000 men)
Navy: 500 ships not including transports

INDIA
Capital: Delhi or New Delhi, player decides
Army: 90 divisions(900 regiments or 900,000 men)
Navy: 100 ships not including transports

CHINA
Capital: Beijing or Shanghai, player decides
Army: 98 divisions(980 regiments or 980,000 men)
Navy: 20 ships, not including transports

JAPAN
Leader: Shogun Nagasaki(Admiral Super)
Capital: Kyoto or Tokyo, player decides
Army: 35 divisions(350 regiments or 350,000 men)
Navy: 550 ships not including transports

PERSIA
Leader: King Darius the Great(The Troquelet)
Capital: Persepolis
Army: 70 divisions(700 regiments or 700,000 men)
Navy: 300 ships not including transports

SECRET SERVICE

Each nation starts with a powerful Secret Service, with agents in every country.

You can always get intelligence estimates from these agents by PMing me, saying whether you want a vague or specific report.

Vague reports are ones such as "If a division of mine fought a division of theirs, who would win?" or "What are their important military production areas?" etc. These reports have no risk factor, they are always safe to ask however many times you may ask questions, even it it is about the same country.

Specific reports are ones such as "Would I be able to take Ireland from Britain?" or "How much damage would a Secret Service raid on Portsmouth Harbour do?". One of these on a nation has a small risk factor of being discovered, with the risk factor increasing the more times you enqiure about that country.

The risk factor is the risk that the agent may be caught, or what you asked discovered. If an agent is caught, he may or may not tell what nation he came from, and he may or may not reveal the question that he was asked to find out the answer to. Caught agents are replaced easily, but if the captured agent had revealed the nation he came from, then there can be severe diplomatic problems arising from this, possibly even war. Knowing his mission can prepare an enemy for what is coming, and possibly even make them act first.

Be warned that estimates are just that, they're not always accurate.

The final way your Secret Service can be used is in sabotage. You can attack a barracks, shipyard, air field or storage dump of your enemy to destroy their weapons, ships, aircraft or stores, thus causing them to lose men, planes or ships until it is repaired. The length of time to repair it can vary, as can the damage done. Targets can be acquired by asking a vague question about that nation's important military areas. These sabotage missions carry high risk factors of the agent being discovered and of their mission being revealed. And be warned, if the agent is discovered and reveals where he's from, there's bound to be a war.

PUBLIC AND SECRET TALKS

Secret talks between countries can be had by Personal Messaging(PM) each other. Only public announcements should be posted here, and any reflection on your leader than you would like others to see("Alexander was crushed by the defeat. How could he have lost?! It didn't seem possible to him. But he would get revenge."), and of course your military actions. By military actions I mean those that are to take place, special service actions should be PMed to me, not posted.

MAP OF THE WORLD IN 1506(Please see the link below it for a map of the world in older times)

MAP OF THE WORLD IN 1500
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/uknesmap1.jpg

MAP OF THE WORLD IN 1501
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/uknesmap3.jpg

MAP OF THE WORLD IN 1502
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/uknesmap3.jpg

MAP OF THE WORLD IN 1505
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/uknesmap8.jpg

If anyone has any questions, or I have made any mistakes above, or would like to change/add rules, please say so!

Good luck and have fun!

Nemesis

I will take head of the Bourbon Monarchy as King Monrique D'esoleil! The first movement of my blue-blooded family will be to sail in exploration of a land called Africa and place some of our fine peasants there. Also, we will become the official cartographers for nations with the creation of your first map.

The world at the dawn of Medieval times:

Thanks Toasty!

Bourbon, which country is that?! France? I can't remember! :o

Nemesis

Found it now! I wasn't sure lol

Anyway, updating the list now

Nemesis

Confusion is understandable; the Bourbons later became kings of Spain as well. In fact, the current Spanish monarch, Juan Carlos, is a member of the house of Bourbon.

But yes, for this game, the House of Bourbon refers to France. :goodjob:

I was thinking of something similar, where the game starter is not really a player but more of a moderator. I may join in at a later date, having a bit of trouble following 3 games at once.

(I do feel a bigger sense of purpose having a thread deemed "sticky" worthy. more appreciation than I get at work:D )

Back to your concept. As the moderator of this thread, will you also be handling black ops? I have noticed in some threads, where I want to initiate some sort of clandestine operation against another state, to say so in the posts would tell everyone what I am doing. With the mod, one would be able to PM you and then you can post an 'intellegence brief' saying what the other player in doing. Just an idea.

King Ramses VIII
Tzar Alekzandr Romanov
King Constintine

What will your name be, sealman?

And as for PMing me, I had already planned on people being able to PM me and ask how well an operation might go against an enemy, as this kind of info would be secretly available to a ruler from his Secret Service.

But you idea of special ops is intriguing as well, and I think I will implement it. Basically, each nation will start with a powerful Secret Service, with agents in every country.

You can always get intelligence estimates from these agents by PMing me, saying whether you want a vague or specific report.

Vague reports are ones such as "If a division of mine fought a division of theirs, who would win?" or "What are their important military production areas?" etc. These reports have no risk factor, they are always safe to ask however many times you may ask questions, even it it is about the same country.

Specific reports are ones such as "Would I be able to take Ireland from Britain?" or "How much damage would a Secret Service raid on Portsmouth Harbour do?". One of these on a nation has a small risk factor of being discovered, with the risk factor increasing the more times you enqiure about that country.

The risk factor is the risk that the agent may be caught, or what you asked discovered. If an agent is caught, he may or may not tell what nation he came from, and he may or may not reveal the question that he was asked to find out the answer to. Caught agents are replaced easily, but if the captured agent had revealed the nation he came from, then there can be severe diplomatic problems arising from this, possibly even war. Knowing his mission can prepare an enemy for what is coming, and possibly even make them act first.

Be warned that estimates are just that, they're not always accurate.

The final way your Secret Service can be used is in sabotage. You can attack a barracks, shipyard, air field or storage dump of your enemy to destroy their weapons, ships, aircraft or stores, thus causing them to lose men, planes or ships until it is repaired. The length of time to repair it can vary, as can the damage done. Targets can be acquired by asking a vague question about that nation's important military areas. These sabotage missions carry high risk factors of the agent being discovered and of their mission being revealed. And be warned, if the agent is discovered and reveals where he's from, there's bound to be a war.

And thanks sealman for that idea!

Nemesis

If people in Boward County, Florida knew how to read their ballots, Al Gore would have been president so I will be him.:rolleyes:

Note: This is in no means a bashing of Gore, Bush or the people of Boward County. This is also no means an indication of my preference to who I would have rather seen in the White House. Just wanted to claify.:p

I realise I also forgot one very important thing.

Secret talks between countries can be had by Personal Messaging(PM) each other. Only public announcements should be posted here, and any reflection on your leader than you would like others to see("Alexander was crushed by the defeat. How could he have lost?! It didn't seem possible to him. But he would get revenge."), and of course your military actions. By military actions I mean those that are to take place, special service actions should be PMed to me, not posted.

Nemesis

(bump)

When are we gonna get this thing rolling? Come on people, this is the best NES there is!

Hello all,

If you will have me, and if the great uknemisis can keep this game under control, fleshing out anyone who tries to use multiple screen names, while including people who can write (at least better than I do! :crazyeye: ), then I would like to join.

Please give me Rome, and call me Caeser Augustus

Bill

Of course we'll have you! :p

I promise that when I reveal the results of combat, I will write it as if it were in one of my stories, maybe with fewer people mentioned, but still an action report rather than just statistics.

As for anyone who tries to use multiple screen names, well I can't actually judge whether or not someone is using them, as I'm not a moderator who can check IPs, but I promise if it appears that someone is cheating in any way, then I'll do what I can. If that means altering combat reports slightly in their enemy's favour, then I'll do it :p

Anyway, the game will begin as soon as we have one or two more players. The ages will begin from this Sunday, so next week you will all still be in the ages you start in, but then on the next Sunday you will begin advancing.

So we've got until this Sunday to get one or two more players, then I begin regardless :D

Nemesis

I would like to propose that only one of Jason/The Diciple/Radramon can join because they are at the very least close friends and if not they are the same person. I would also like to prohibit xtreamskier27 from joining for his 'xtream' lack of cooperation last game :mad:.

I'm dissapointed that this game isn't getting many players too; it seems by far the best way to regulate the very interesting concept of the NES. Perhaps I can get you some more publicity by posting a thread about it in some other forums.

Since I expect to have some more time on my hands soon, I may as well throw my hat into the ring as well. :) I will take the Russians since no one else has gone for them. I'll go with Mikhail (Michael) Romanov as the leader name to start, as he was the first Romanov tsar. :goodjob:

Thanks Sulla!

The game is due to start tonight(GMT), so hopefully we'll get more players before then. If not, then we will start regardless and others can join later.

Nemesis

I would like to experience a deeper level of play in CIV3, but i quite don't get the concept of a NES game. What is it about? Is it actually a CIV3 game, played within the game? It looks more like some variation of an RPG to me.

Can someone explain me the idea of it, how it work in a general way? Because merely reading the rules for this game didn't tell me much about how the concept works.

If i can get the info, it's preety likely that'll join it.

Thanx.

Rey Juan Carlos II. emerged as leader of medieval Spain at the age of 25. His father died fighting rebel peasants near Huesca. While being still young he already was a formidable knight and had won several important tournaments in France and Germany. One year into his reign he had defeated the rebels and consolidated his power.

Just in case i can't post more today:
Now the time is ripe to conquer the world!
Most of his knights are used to secure his lands and to maintain the "Ley Royal", the royal laws, in Spain, while the fleet does the same around Spain.
He sends out two expeditions:
- One south to Marrocco under command of Senor Cortez (one division of knights, along with several settlers) to meet any egypt expansion.
- One southwest to South America under command of Senor Ortega (two divisions of knights, along with several settlers) to secure the incredible riches that are most likely to be found there.

This sounds like a great idea!! I'll happily join-in.

King Blackadder of Great Britain. The mightiest and most reveared of men!

First Acts:
- Send 3 divisions of troops led by Lord Ducksworth with settler's to form colonies in Saudi Arabia.
- Send 3 divisions of troops led by Lord Ponsonberry with settler's to build colonies in Canada
- Send 100 ships led by Lord Gregory to monitor the sea's around Arabia.
- Deploy 3 divisions, 2 regiments and 200 ships to attempt to colonise South America.
Total forces deployed: 92,000 troop's, 300 ships.

That'll be all.
Long Live The King!!

(I hope I did this right, it's my first time!! thanx)

Top Bottom