A Simple Poll: Pyramids or Colossus?

Pyramids. Nothing like doubling your growth rate for the entire game without having to build granaries in every city. Most importantly, it never expires!!

I fist build the Pyramids, they havepriority, and then later (if someone else hasn't built it already) I build the Colossus in a sea-side city. Pyramids go first.

------------------
I know it seem hard sometimes, but uh...
remember one thing:
through every dark night,
there's a bright day after that,
so no matter how hard it get, stick ya chest out
keep ya head up and handle it.

I try to go for both. I haven't been so lucky lately, but that's what I try to do. At Diety, I have to make doggone sure that I build the Gardens or the Oracle, because the last thing I need is to have my production stopped because my cities are in Disorder. Usually, I end up building the Colossus first because Bronze Working is one of the first techs that I go for.

------------------
"Shake the world beneath your feet up"
--Johnny Clegg

Pyramids are the best ... They never become obsolete.. they help u grow rpidly an they r essential for large worlds , I used to capture enemy cities and sell the granary for extra cash , The colossus is really useless wonder , only for one city and it expires soon.

and as I am egyptian MY CIVILIZATION MUST BUILD THE PYRAMIDS HEHEEH

we must build the great library too , and the light house anyway , i never build the light house .

I usually build the Colossus first. I never really have problems with growth in my games. My favortie wonders, of course, are the happiness inducing wonders.

No matter what, I always build every wonder possible anyway.

Somebody said something somewhere (duh) about building Colossus and then sending caravans from ALL his cities to that one. Is this cost effective? Once the Colossus city has 3 trade routes, each subsequent caravan produces only one trade route, not 2, and so is twice as costly, eh? I know this is off subject, but I'm too lazy to start another one.

posted June 26, 2001 04:49 PM by zozzo123:
Pyramids are the best ... They never become obsolete.. they help u grow rpidly an they r essential for large worlds , I used to capture enemy cities and sell the granary for extra cash , The colossus is really useless wonder , only for one city and it expires soon.

and as I am egyptian MY CIVILIZATION MUST BUILD THE PYRAMIDS HEHEEH

I've been to Egypt and Cairo many times, though not in about 5 years now. I usually stayed at the 40 Grand hotel, or the one across the street (in line with the Great Pyramid) whose name I can't recall. The first time I ever played clay-court tennis was in the shadow (not literally, though, but in view a few hundred meters away) of the Great Pyramid. Several of us once sat on top of the GP and enjoyed the awesome pre-dawn view of Cairo for about an hour... quite a spectacular sight.

The Pyramids are so impressive, even by modern standards... maybe that's why (subconsciously) they are my favorite wonder of the early wonders.

It is somewhat humorous, however, that the real Pyramids had nothing to do with food storage (as far as I've ever seen).

By the way, the Colossus is a long-lasting wonder... of the wonders that expire, it lasts the longest. Properly used, it can make other wonders, like the Great Library, pretty much a waste of shields. But to fully exploit it, you have to commit to trade and two other wonders: Copernicus and Isaac Newton.

And maximum benefits occur if you enter Republic and get your Colossus city to size 20 ASAP, with trade in every square. If so, you should have cavalry facing phalanx, and no AI civ will even complete industrialization in a "typical" deity, 7p, large map, raging hordes game. And vet cavalry will rip right through even city walls, BTW... kill the capitals and bribe the other cities which will be dirt cheap. With proper trade and Colossus in a Republic or Fundy gov't, you will often have more money than you can spend, from the mid-game onwards.

Hi Starlifter ..

I already have Alpha Centuari ... but I found it very complicated and more sofisticated than enjoying ...I have it about one year ago ...Played it for few minutes but couldn't enjoy it .

Yes climbing the great pyramid is an addictive hobby .. I used to climb few stones when i was young and watch the view from my high piont .

Pyramids and why they being built will remain a mystery , Imagine how heavy every stone was, The ceiling of the king's tomb was a single stone that weighs 100 tons , what kind of force on earth in ancient times or even now can lift such a weight and place it over the kings tomb .

every stone on the pyramid is tightly attached to each other and u cannot find traces of cement .

thousands of years gone and the pyramids still standing , The only wonnnnder that remain intact and survived the test of time

thereis a science called pyramidology which studies the secrets of the pyramid shape , It really has kind of force, using special orientatin of the pyramid there will be a spot within it , if u placed piece of flesh, food ..etc ... it will remain intact and will not decay. placing a shaving blade in this spot made it never get dull .

The tomb of the GREAT designer of the pyramid never found , and it is said that it must tell the secrets beyond that great pyramid . he is propably greatest architecht and doctor of all time- the biggest mind in ancient Egypt, and one of the most biggest minds in history . that man is Imhoteb .

Remember the Mumie movie , a nice movie for fun but it destroys the real history , as they describe Imhoteb as an EVIL sneaky character ...SHAME ON THEM .

no one till now knows where secrets of mummification are hiddedn , where the high priests and hig mages hide them ,??some suggest a secret room , lying below the great pyramid or near the sphinx, contain the whole secrets ....who knows??!!

but egyptians spent 20 years buildng a Tomb??? Can't believe it really .

I think the Sphinx must be a wonder in Civilization games too The largest statue on earth featuring the body of a lion and the head of a human and sitting in front of the pyramids protecting them from the invaders .

Ramesses has temple in aswan , and the sunlight enter his tomb 2 times every year to be perpendicular over his face, lots of astronomy and math here hehee.

but pyramids was the unique wonder no doubt ... If a country wanted to build a copy of the these pyramids with today technology ...it won't work...thats why wonders cannot be repeated .

Most people envision just of the 3 main pyramids on the plains of Giza when they think about pyramids. In fact, many of the other pyramids are amazing too, even if not as large. Like the Step Pyramid of Gozar.

I've heard things about the "effects" of pyramids on pysical objects, but I'm an analytical engineer/scientist type, and have neither observed nor could offer reasonable postulation for such effects. I've been inside many of the pyrimids, but I'm not an Egpyptologist by any means.

Your main museum in Cairo has an astounding collection of some of the best ancient atrifacts, including the gold and masks of kings like Tutankammen (sp?). Those ancient works are also impressive, given when they were produced.

Well, any way you slice it, the Pyramids are worthy of being the #1 ancient wonder in my book... both in real life and in Civ II!

Hi Starlifter ,

I will check the scenarios forum for MODs and the possible modifications .

Yes, The Egyptian museum contains incredible amout of artifacts , even the unshown artifacts in that museaum can construct another one of equal size .

The step pyramid of Zosar is older than the 3 big pyramids of Giza , there is also another pyramiz in midoom .

Nearly all king tombs were stolen by theives , only Tut ank Amoun tomb were intact , thats why u find that huge amount of gold , the mask , and vast amount of jewellery .

in most historic places in Egypt , if u dig , u find artifacts surely digging is restricted in these areas .

All gold mines of Egypt are depleted ......thankx to the old pharaos

even the great pyramid was covered by gold and glows under the sun.

I still have a chance to see the great pyramid from my balcon , as i live near the nile , the great pyramid- although miles away- I can see it by naked eye .

anyway, pyramids in Civ II are very influencial too

Top Bottom