A Song of Ice and Fire

that wall looks sweet!

have to try out this mod while i´m eagerly anticipating "dance", thanks!

another idea: as this is warlords anyway, what do you think about having some generals attached to units to further promote that ASoIaF feeling? i was thinking about the kingslayer and the king in the north specifically.

valar morghulis

I second the idea of generals. Andaloke is that something you would like to add? Also having Jon Snow as a general would be cool.

For that matter how difficult would it be to make the Watch a playable faction? I read your comment on making them a minor faction, but think of the Night King and also the offer Stannis makes to Jon (in other words I think the watch should be a real competitor).

Some small points:
Is Rivertun a Nordic translation because in English I'm pretty sure it is Riverrun?
Same for Far Market and Fair Market or is this just a type-o?
There may be a few to many workers: in the scenario building roads is quite easy, but I think in the books it would be quite difficult.
Some of the words that describe the different civs could be improved I think. English is not my mother tongue so maybe we could ask someone else for help. What I mean is words like the adjective or short describtion for each civ. E.g. I think the adjective for the Stark civ is Stark not Starks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I played the scenario over christmas (during boxing day) and it was a lot of fun. I think if we improve some things it could be one of the best!

Cheers,
Peter

PS We're all eagerly anticipating "dance".

another thought here (i´m sorry that i can not contribute to any of the modding. i have actually no clue whatsoever as to what that entails, so please bear with me if some of my suggestions are not even doable. all i have to bring is having read the entire series at least three times over and i´m sure that i´m not the only one here)

kind of tying in with black_rose about infrastructure: pillaging plays a very big part in the actual war between the factions (mostly on the part of the lannisters). so there might be a thought as to make pillaging by one faction (or by one of their units, i have no idea if either is doable) more rewarding than pillaging by other factions/units....

and that also expands on that generals idea (especially keeping in mind potential pillaging bonuses, i am thinking of the mountain that rides here, wouldn´t it be sweet to have a roving band of outcasts - lead by him - that pillage whatever they can and pick on weaker units? also thinking of workers as peasants in that context)

i also kind of agree with black_rose on the night´s watch being a playable/major faction. after all, anybody who will try out this scenario is most likely to be a grrm devotee and not play it to post high scores, we´ll play it for the story aspect of it; trying to keep close to the books. well at least i personally would never take the NW and take on winterfell... i´d rather tattoo "daenerys rules" onto my back.... though... on second thought... i might do that anyways....

PS: including generals would mean renaming the "named" rulers into factions, ie not "king rob" but "house stark" or "prince of dorne" into "dorne" or "riverrun" into "tully" (something one might consider anyways giving the development of the storyline)

PPS: gosh i think i gotta read it all over again and try to think of it in civ4 terms :D

Hey everyone..

Unfortunately I have not been able to do any more work on the scenario over the holidays, and it might be limited with time in the near future as well.
But I’ll do my best to contribute to the improvement of the scenario.

Since I haven’t been able to comment for a while, I’ll comment and answer the issues at hand so far.

I like the new Wall. How strong were you thinking of making it? And it won’t be a problem making the Night’s Watch a playable civ.

Adding generals would be sweet as well. Could make it interesting.

And I am afraid the city names are type-o´s. We got to try and correct those.

The workers issue have been troubling me as well. Not especially that there are too many, but maybe it is possible to make the roads a lot harder to build. We do need some workers to mine and connect the cities with iron and gold.

And I definitely agree over the civ descriptions. I had a hard time figuring that out, and then I changed a lot of them halfway trough. So they are a bit messed up. But I am no native speaker of English either, so hopefully someone else might be able to help us.

About the pillaging. I do not know it that is possible to have different values for various civs. If it is, it might be interesting.

But having an independent band raiding about might be difficult. I tried having more barbs around the arryns, but the AI seem to hate barbarians so much that everyone attacked them first. I think the same might be the result here. But it might be an idea worth exploring further as well.

I am still working on improving the wildlings and the others. Any suggestions here?

But keep the ideas coming. Hopefully I will have more time shortly.

And in the in the meantime, feel free to make the changes. Maybe black_rose could organize the changes so far into the scenario folder and make a new zip of it?

I should be able to follow the discussion in the forum, but I cannot really begin to mod in civ while at work. And I do not have an Internet connection at home at the moment (doesn’t really matter, don’t have any time to be at home anyway) so I have to bring stuff fort and back. A bit annoying. Hopefully the situation will improve shortly. But until so, keep up the good work. Together I believe we can make this a really, really good scenario. But to do so, we need loads of new suggestions and improvements.

Hello again,

Here is what I propose for the civ descriptions:

House Arryn of the Vale
Renly Baratheon of the Stormlands
House Greyjoy of the Iron Islands
House Lannister of the Westerlands
House Martell of Dorne
Stannis Baratheon of Dragonstone
House Stark of the North
House Tully of the Riverlands
House Tyrell of the Reach
The Night's Watch

For the short descriptions:

House Arryn
Renly Baratheon
House Greyjoy
House Lannister
House Martell
Stannis Baratheon
House Stark
House Tully
House Tyrell
The Watch

and for the adjectives:

Arryn
Renly Baratheon's
Greyjoy
Lannister
Martell
Stannis Baratheon's
Stark
Tully
Tyrell
Night's Watch

It's the Baratheons that make it difficult. There is no way not to use the name's. Also Jof is now Lannister, but maybe should be Baratheon as well. I added the area's to the long description for extra 'feel'.

Any comments are welcome. Esp. are those adjectives correct?

I will comment on your messages later

well you could name the renly faction "Storm´s End" and stannis´ "Dragonstone" or even "House Baratheon of Dragonstone" seeing as he would be the rightful heir to robert´s throne. humm, not happy ´bout that "Storm´s End" now....

what generals should be included? here´s what springs to my mind:

robb stark
the kingslayer
the imp, leading a band of wildlings
jon snow for the night´s watch
the hound (sandor clegane)/ mountain that rides (gregor clegane?).

that´s a lot of generals for king´s landing but hey...

Liking the civ descriptions. Sounds good. I had a lot of trouble with the Baratheons as well, but I think this is the best suggestion so far. Could be tricky using Storms End in the name as Storms End might easily fall in this scenario. Storm lands might be beter then. And there should be plenty of generals for most of the factions. Theon for the greyjoys, maybe even his sister, Mance for the wildlings, Union Knight for Stannis and so on. the most difficult I guess is the arryns, as I cannot see any obvious choices for a general from the clash of kings book.

But I´m sure we´ll think of something

another thought here (i´m sorry that i can not contribute to any of the modding. i have actually no clue whatsoever as to what that entails, so please bear with me if some of my suggestions are not even doable. all i have to bring is having read the entire series at least three times over and i´m sure that i´m not the only one here)

That's fine, although it is not as hard as it seems. Some of it is even quite easy did you ever open the worldbuilder? I guess adding generals is not too difficult. I have no clou either, but I learn as I go. The flags were my first modding on civ4

kind of tying in with black_rose about infrastructure: pillaging plays a very big part in the actual war between the factions (mostly on the part of the lannisters). so there might be a thought as to make pillaging by one faction (or by one of their units, i have no idea if either is doable) more rewarding than pillaging by other factions/units....

and that also expands on that generals idea (especially keeping in mind potential pillaging bonuses, i am thinking of the mountain that rides here, wouldn´t it be sweet to have a roving band of outcasts - lead by him - that pillage whatever they can and pick on weaker units? also thinking of workers as peasants in that context)

I don't know if it should be more rewarding but they should do it more often. I think the a.i. should be changed for that. Sounds quite complicated to me. There should be a lot of roving outcasts, but I'm thinking more of the lightning lord and his man. The mountain should belong to the Lannisters right?

i also kind of agree with black_rose on the night´s watch being a playable/major faction. after all, anybody who will try out this scenario is most likely to be a grrm devotee and not play it to post high scores, we´ll play it for the story aspect of it; trying to keep close to the books. well at least i personally would never take the NW and take on winterfell... i´d rather tattoo "daenerys rules" onto my back.... though... on second thought... i might do that anyways....

No, attacking the Starks with the Watch is something I would not do either, but liberating it from the Greyjoys...

PS: including generals would mean renaming the "named" rulers into factions, ie not "king rob" but "house stark" or "prince of dorne" into "dorne" or "riverrun" into "tully" (something one might consider anyways giving the development of the storyline)

PPS: gosh i think i gotta read it all over again and try to think of it in civ4 terms :D

Agreed!

well you could name the renly faction "Storm´s End" and stannis´ "Dragonstone" or even "House Baratheon of Dragonstone" seeing as he would be the rightful heir to robert´s throne. humm, not happy ´bout that "Storm´s End" now....

I don't quite follow. I didn't use Storm's End. I did use the Stormlands, because the bannermen of the stormlands support Renly. But how else to call this faction Maybe the Stormlords? Or Renly's host? I mean even if Renly is killed it could still be called his host. The way it should work is that a lot of units suddenly change from one civ to the other, but I would not even know where to begin modding that.

what generals should be included? here´s what springs to my mind:

robb stark
the kingslayer
the imp, leading a band of wildlings
jon snow for the night´s watch
the hound (sandor clegane)/ mountain that rides (gregor clegane?).

that´s a lot of generals for king´s landing but hey...

I would not include the Imp or the hound. The others yes and more. Keep those names coming.

well the imp only had two major battles, so i might agree as to not including him even though.... *sniff* ...you are right about the hound though, i often confuse him with his brother and had him mixed up here as well, hound is out! the mountain does the pillaging. and yes i would put him with the lannisters unless you manage to create a barb unit with a general.

i do like theon and his sister asha! if generals could comandeer ships i´d vote for the onion knight as well.

mance for the wildlings sounds good. the king of giants should definitely be in.

nestor royce and/or yohn royce for house arryn. (if barbs can have generals: timett son of timett, shagga son of dolf, chella daughter of cheyk. or use named barbarian units and place them around/in the vale. also berric dondarrion, the lightning lord and a pack of wolves led by nymeria could be placed to harass some lannisters)

prince oberyn, the red viper, for martell.

jon umber, the greatjon, for the starks.

edmure tully for house tully. also maybe ser brynden tully, the blackfish.

for house tyrell: ser loras, knight of the flowers.

lady melisandre of ashai for stannis, though in reality she does no fighting herself....

also agree on pillaging being done more often as opposed to being more rewarding, my idea was that human players would do it more often is it was more rewarding.

another thing: aren´t we forgetting house targaryen and daenerys (generals: barristan selmy, jhogo or one of the other bloodriders, grey worm)? though that would require an additional continent with barbarian cities. a neat thing would be to have three (relatively weak) unique dragon units, drogon, viserion and rhaegal. you know you want to level these up and invade/liberate westeros with these :D

that wasn´t very structured... apologies...

these are all good suggestions for generals. But I do think it might be hard to have some independent band raiding about in westeroos, it being the mountain or berric/the lightening lord. We can of course have them put in, but I do not think it will be very successful. the AI will automaticly go against them first, if they are set up as barbs. And if not, they will attempt to take a city, and if they do and are kicked out of it again, they will be elimminated. But we can try. But it might be some issues which needs to be solved in order for this to work.
But it might be cool if we manage both the human players and the AI to pillage more often.
And when it comes to house targaryen, I have not forgotten. But in the clash of kings, Daenerys are nowhere near westeroos. If we do decide to go away from the original script, we would have to add some land for her. I think that might be too much of an effort and not really neccessary. But maybe for a second senario later on. Would love to see some dragons flying about....

agreed, she is nowhere near westeros (and we all know george rr, she might not make it there after all ^^). but then again the war is not resolved in "clash" either so we are projecting either way. she will need time to take the barb cities anyway and get some troops and make the crossing and grab a foothold so that will take many, many turns....

but it´s your call of course :)

True. we are just projecting. But the map i made has limited options for her. there simply aren´t enought space on the map. I might be able to add one or two small cities, but no more. cause I don´t think it is possible to just extend the current map. Hopefully I am wrong, but I don´t think it is possible. Which means we´re stuck with the mapsize we are at right now. ´Cause I am not going to make a new map from scratch. if anyone else is up for the challenge, go ahead, but it is quite time consuming.
But if anyone know how it is possible to extend the current map, then this could be interesting.

Hey, I just joined the forums and I was extremely excited when I saw this scenario. Needless to say I downloaded it and have been playing for several hours. I'm a huge GRRM fan and an avid modder (2d art, modeling, programming) and I would really like to contribute in any way that I can to this, Civ4 seems to be the perfect game for making a sweet SOIAF modification.

So I noticed there are no leaderheads, I was bored so I scanned some from the Art book and found some online that can be used, if the guy leading this wants to add stuff like this I can put these into DDS format for him.

Stannis, Cersei, Oberyn Martell, Joffrey, Jorah Mormont, Jon Snow

Hi longshanks,

good to see your enthusiasm. I haven't done much myself lately. I have been very busy with masters thesis. But as I said before having more people work on it is realy important and will probably inspire me again as well.

About your leaderheads. I like them a lot. Have you been able to get them to work in the game? I wanted to do something similar myself only with pictures from amok (are you familiar with his portrait gallery?). There are three advantages of using his work. First he is oke with us using it as long as it's not for making profit. Second there would be great consistency for al leaderheads. Third the portraits include banners of the families nicely tying it in with the rest of the game. Oh and of course they are beautiful :)
But unfortunately his website is not working or has changed and I can't find it anymore.
But again your leaderheads are great. Maybe we can create a pack with the leaderheads and banners (I will also create the dragon banner and maybe even some others)

Cheers,
Peter

Hi, sorry I took so long to respond.

I am trying to learn how to mod Civ 4 and I definitely want to get these leaderheads ingame and start working on a scenario. I'm familiar with Amok's work and I looked for his site but unfortunately it was down? So I searched about for other SOIAF artists and came across these portraits by various artists.
I really like your banners and I'm going to try and use them. Send me a PM if you'd like to work together on this somehow.

Hey everyone. This thread motivated me to register and post, as I would really like to see this done. That being said, I bring nothing to the table except ideas :sad:

Some thoughts I had....

Generals for the Arryns- Bronze Yohn Royce, the guy who fought Bronn in Tyrion's trial at the Veil (his name escapes me at present), and the holder of the only Valyrian steel blade in the Veil (his name also escapes me).

Instead of including Daenerys as a faction, perhaps there could be a wonder you could build along the lines of a "Daenerys search party" which could give you the capability of building Unsullied/dragons (this represents a Westerosi faction facillitating her arrival in Westeros, thus gaining her favor), or it just gives a one time bunch of Targaryn-esque units. Conversely, other civs could build the "assassinate Daenerys" wonder which would be the counter to this, and make it impossible to bring Dany to Westeros.

Possible tech tree additions- Ravenry (increase unit sight, faster road movement, enables tech trading are all possible unlocks with this tech), Valyrian steel working/craft (ability to build special Valyrian steel units)

Casterly Rock is conspicuously missing from the map as well

Unique unit for the Lannisters should be pyromancers or gold cloaks, not wildlings. Pyromancers could be a mod of the grenadier model?

I'm sure I'll think of more later and post it if i find that anybody still cares about this mod :)

Top Bottom