• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

A Strange, Barren, Barbarian World

evanbgood

Chieftain
So, I just played a Hiawatha game on Prince mode. I'm admittedly not the greatest Civ player, so in Civ 4 I usually found a moderate challenge at Prince level. I thought I'd get the same out of Civ 5, but, for whatever reason, I crushed everyone who was around with very little effort. I should also say, the longhouse bonus and the "forest road" tallent of Hiawatha is AMAZING! Assuming you have the right lands, they pump out production like nobody's business. I also found that it gave a great boost to non-production cities where I still wanted buildings (like getting all the markets and banks quickly in financial cities without making production improvements). The only problem is that unique trait does horribly without babysitting the workers, since chopping is out of the question.

Anywho, back to the strange thing that happened. I was determined to get a space race victory, since it was the only kind I hadn't done yet. It was a small earth map with lots of nooks and cranies for Barbarians to pop up, particularly in the unsettled South African areas, Australia, and South America, as well as odd spots in the north pole (the old "Santa's Little Helpers" gang). Two civs settled in Asia, Ghandi in North America, and I was in the area around North Africa and Europe. After having someone settle too close to my north, I attacked and raided west to teach them a lesson. The invasion went rediculously well, to the point that I ended up easily wiping out the two other civs. This left only Ghandi, who I didn't want to remove, lest I lose my chance to launch myself off of that rock. Unfortunately, I was about 1000 years away from that kind of technology. To save money, I razed all but two cities from each of the conqured civs. This meant that, other than city-states, a good 75% of the world was unclaimed, invisible land.

That's when things got strange... and maybe just a little boring. Ghandi, for whatever reason, was doing horrible. I have no idea what was keeping him back, but by the time I was looking into the Apollo program, he was entering the Renisance. Hilariously, my attempts to use my military might to bully his sources of silver and gold out of him were met by textbook examples of "non-violent resistance", in which he refused to give me the resources without taking an empire-crippling amount of my own. And, of course, he refused to threaten me the whole time. I almost felt bad for steamrolling mech-infantry through every city but his capitol... perhaps he should have used more violence.

With city-states maintaining their usual level of strength, Ghandi failing, and me sitting with a small collection of powerhouse cities, that left only one side: the barbarians. And thus, something happened that I've never seen before. They got tough! Though their lack of organization was a major downfall, I soon was harassed by barbarian paratroopers... Yes, barbarian paratroopers (and yes, that is an awesome name for a band). My borders were covered with barbarian battleships and destroyers, acting as modern-day pirates, while many of their camps raided and crippled many of my allied city states.

Of course, after a while, I built my space ship and left Ghandi to handle Barbarian Earth on his own. It was probably one of the strangest games of Civ I've ever played. So, I felt the urge to share! Anyone else have some good stories of Civ V mayhem? :cool:

Ya Barbarians are really aggressive in Civ V, and since they spawn right up to 2050AD if there is unclaimed land, they can actually be quite challenging if you let their numbers build up too much.

I really like it.

In the game I just finished (lost :( ) playing on Prince I saw barb destroyers which was a bit of a surprise, especially following previous civs where the barbs are usually running around with spears in the space age...

Ya Barbarians are really aggressive in Civ V, and since they spawn right up to 2050AD if there is unclaimed land, they can actually be quite challenging if you let their numbers build up too much.

I really like it.

It does make the German and Ottoman traits much more powerful. When I first read about those, I thought they sounded rediculous... then I made a 20-unit German army for free and... yeah.

one word.....epic

I think that would have been this: Barbarian Giant Death Robot... Lets all just sit with that image for a second, shall we?

Top Bottom