A Thousand Ages of Gold: RFC India

rev 16

fixed a bug causing the foreign invading civs (Persians and Greeks) to collapse prematurely

rebalanced all unit and building costs, all upward

just wanted to let people know I am still working on this and development has changed a little. I stopped working on it at a point when RFCCW needed major investigation and balancing and I just didn't have time for both.

a while ago I got curious about K-mod, read the development thread and played a few games. right away I loved it and didn't want to go back to regular AI so I decided to try to do a K-mod/RFC mod. I picked this one because its the mod I most feel like working on right now. I'd love to re-do RFCCW as well, and I may start working on it concurrently, but I'm starting here.

so far I have adapted the xml from the old RFC India mod to the K-mod DLL and adapted the K-mod DLL to the number of players. I have also succeeded in adding some basic RFC python, so far city names and barb spawns. late starts can be handled by K-mod's built-in autoplay feature.

I have also given some thought to the huge number of civs and unique assets and come up with some compromises I think I can live with. the key one is that not all civs will be playable. this means there can be more than 52 unique civs (there is a limit of 52 options in the WBS civ selection screen, but the game will actually run 62 civs) and also that the number of unique assets is a bit less. I am also thinking of giving each playable civ a UU or a UB, but not both.

my development plan right now is to work on the starting Mahajanapanda civs until that era is complete, balanced and fun on its own. my thoughts for the playable civs are:
Magadha: axeman UU, conquest goals
Vrijji: market UB, trade goals
Kashi: cistren UB, religious goals
Kosala: archery range UB, Buddhist goals
Kuru: archer UU, military/culture goals
Gandhara: chariot UU, Buddhist and survival (Persian and Greek invasions) goals
Matsya: horseman UU, survival (Persian and Greek invasions) goals
Avanti: walls UB
Surasena: blacksmith UB, trade and cultural goals

this leaves Malla, Vatsa and Panchala unplayable, all in the central Ganges. I think I'd like to make one of them playable, probably Pancahala. there's also the possibility of adding non-playable Anga (Bengal)

I will post the starting scenario soon, playable up to the Nanda spawn. I think all the Mahajanapandas goals should be within this timeframe. I will post it when I have the UUs and UBs in.

I'm curious to know how much interest there is for this. It would be great to have some testers. All suggestions welcome. I'm especially curious to hear people's thoughts about stability.

that stuff would surely be fixable if we only had the source files. its such a shame Morholt disappeared.

my plan is to proceed slowly and keep things as simple as possible.

I've added some UUs and UBs and played a few games, only as far as 450bc, which is when the Nandas will appear. everything seems fine. I've adjusted the leaderhead xmls a lot to create more early wars. all 3 religions are being founded in a relatively timely manner.

here are my UHV ideas for the early civs:

Spoiler :
Magadha: conquer the Ganges valley, build the Mahabharata, found a religion

Kashi: found all 3 religions, build 3 shrines in your capital, make Varanasi the largest and most cultural city (or possibly double nearest rival)

Panchala: build the Vedas and the Mahabharata, control 3 holy cities, settle a great person all of your cities without losing or giving away any cities

Kuru: build the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, capture or 5 enemy capitals, produce 3 great generals

Vrijji: produce a great merchant, acquire 5000 gold, acquire 5 luxuries

Gandhara: build an academy, build the Arthashastra, survive the Persians

Surasena: build 3 epics and settle 3 great people in Mathura, have largest population, control more than 6 cities

the main AI deficiency right now is great people not building the great works they are supposed to. the AI prefers to bulb techs or settle them.

some pictures of my last game. I tried to get as much land as I could while building the Mahabharata and founding a religion:

Spoiler :

what does everyone think about stability, ie which system to start with? what should stability be accomplishing? should it work the same for human and non-human civs etc.

I just noticed an interesting fact, at least to me: this mod kind of represents a full circle for me. the very first thing I ever tried to mod was the start date for India in vanilla Rhye's.

also, the first 150 turns of this mod runs in 1 minute, 10 secs in autoplay.

Instant Fan.

to see some one worked on ( as it is said ) the GREATEST EPIC WAR in the history of man kind.

Lovely. Just downloaded it today Dec 2014. Will play it surly, slowly as i get time to.

CHEERS

Hi everyone ! First, I'd like to congratulate you, for all your work, it looks amazing.
I wanted to try this mod, so I picked the first available civ, aka the Kashi. I played peacefuly, just to dicover the mod, and successfully founded both Hinduism and Buddhism in my capital, Varanasi. But when a new civ popped, the Nandis, they flipped my only city without even asking, making me loose instantly ! Is that intented ? (If I read well, it is not, but I still ask)

Oh. OK then. I will play another mod, waiting for any improvement here ! Thanks !

finally found some time to get back to this in the last few days. I'm trying to keep the project from getting too big so I've decided to reduce the number of civs and number of playable civs, so this is the list I'm going with now:

Spoiler :
* = playable
starting 900BC Mahajanapanda kingdoms:
Kashi* religion
Magadha* military
Vrijji* economic
Panchala* cultural
Kuru* military
Gandhara* science & survival
Matsya
Avanti
Surasena
Malla
Kosala
Vatsa

Persia c. 550BC

Nandas* 450bc
Anuradhapura* 370bc
Mauryans* 325bc
Macedonians 330bc
Cholas* 300bc
Satavahanas* 230bc
Indo-Greeks* 220bc
Pandyans* 200bc
Cheras* 200bc
Kalinga* 190bc?
Sungas* 180bc
Parthians 140bc
Sakas* 90bc
Pallavas* 210ad
Kalabhras* 210ad
Vakatakas 230ad
Sassanids 230ad
Guptas* 320ad
Kamarupa 360ad
Hephthalites* 460ad
Sindh(Rai)* 490ad
Chalukyans* 530ad
Kasmir* 570ad
Harsha* 570ad
Pratiharas* 570ad
Arabs 660ad
Ajmer* 750ad
Rashstrakuta* 760ad
Palas* 760ad
Malwa* 800ad
Gujurat* 940ad
Ghaznavids* 960ad
Sindh(Soomro)* 1010ad
Bengal(Sena)* 1070ad
Hoysala 1110ad
Ghorids* 1150ad
Mongols 1220ad
Bengal Sultanate* 1340ad
Vijayanagara* 1340ad
Timurids 1340ad
Bahmanis* 1350ad
Bijapur* 1490ad
Ahmadnagar* 1500ad
Safavids 1500ad
Mughals* 1520ad
Portuguese 1510ad

currently only the six starting Mahajanapandas are playable. I want to get this period right before moving on. I might make Jainism and Buddhism founded by great people rather than techs. I also might change the starting number of cities for the starting civs, possibly only for the AI ie start Magadha with all three starting cities in its core rather than spawning the others as barb like it is now.

anyway there is a new svn, # 23, and I'll put up a new regular download today, and I'm open to all ideas.

svn 26

the auto-play up to 450BC is working well. all religions are being founded and almost always all the first 4 epics are being built in this time by the AI.

so far I have tried Kashi:
Spoiler :

so close. I think the balance is good on the religions. shrine goal may need adjustment.

Top Bottom