[R&F] A Victorian Science Strat?

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
As a Victoria player I can get huge amounts of science out of my harbor/commercial district triangles in a golden age. Its going to be an interesting update

Currently with Vic, off continent its not too hard to get 7 gold from a harbor adjacency and 5 from a commercial next to it in a triangle by a river.

The level 1 free inquiry dedication for a golden age states - Commercial Hub and Harbor district's Gold adjacency bonus provides Science as well.
The Naval infrastructure card doubles that harbor and you can get it early. If you could slot in the
Free Market for doubling commercial comes a bit later
The economic Union card double both Harbor and commercial and the Free market stays around.
Reyna the financier at level 2 doubles both harbor and commercial adjacency (not hard to get early)

So I can see having a harbor next to a city with 2 sea resources and Reyna off continent netting me 28 science just from the harbor... in one city by about turn 50.... 9 cities @21 + 1 city at 28 = 238 science + 20 trade routes + 300+ gold
I can see that if I settle no city next to a river mouth but do have a commercial and harbor they will on average net me about 20 science each very early in the game.

A later golden age with a 7/5 harbour hub with Free Market, economic Union and Reyna should provide 41 science just for that city.

Whether this all works well in reality and whether all modifiers get science is a good question... and after all its just for a golden age but does show how powerful some of the dedications are.
Even if not for a science victory, the ability to ignore campus as long as you get a golden every 2 you should be fine.

Last edited:
As a Victoria player I can get huge amounts of science out of my harbor/commercial district triangles in a golden age. Its going to be an interesting update

Currently with Vic, off continent its not too hard to get 7 gold from a harbor adjacency and 5 from a commercial next to it in a triangle by a river.

The level 1 free inquiry dedication for a golden age states - Commercial Hub and Harbor district's Gold adjacency bonus provides Science as well.
The Naval infrastructure card doubles that harbor and you can get it early. If you could slot in the
Free Market for doubling commercial comes a bit later
The economic Union card double both Harbor and commercial and the Free market stays around.
Reyna the financier at level 2 doubles both harbor and commercial adjacency (not hard to get early)

So I can see having a harbor next to a city with 2 sea resources and Reyna off continent netting me 28 science just from the harbor... in one city by about turn 50.... 10 cities = 280 science + 20 trade routes + 300+ gold
I can see that if I settle no city next to a river mouth but do have a commercial and harbor they will on average net me about 20 science each very early in the game.

A later golden age with a 7/5 harbour hub with Free Market, economic Union and Reyna should provide 41 science just for that city.

Whether this all works well in reality and whether all modifiers get science is a good question... and after all its just for a golden age but does show how powerful some of the dedications are.
Even if not for a science victory, the ability to ignore campus as long as you get a golden every 2 you should be fine.
Great idea. Two minor points.

CH adjacency seems to be per river tile in R&F.
Adjacency doubling cards seem to work different (we‘ve only seen the one for faith though).

Adjacency doubling cards seem to work different
I have played a bit with Victoria. Was wondering how you mean.

CH adjacency seems to be per river tile in R&F.
Does it still get +2 for being next to a harbour... and +1 for adjacent to 2 other districts? So +3 gold adjacency without a river.

I was wrong. It‘s not the double adjacency that changed, but the double yield from buildings. It now needs 10 population for +50% and +3 adjacency for the other +50%. Sorry.

As to the CH/Harbor adjacency bonuses: I don‘t know how that changed exactly. I didn‘t see the tooltip myself. There was a discussion, however, if it always said „+2 for each adjacent river tile.“ It did not. I guess the rest stays the same, or people that have seen the tooltip would have mentioned other changes. So a river mouth may be even better if the CH touches the river at two sides.

I was wrong. It‘s not the double adjacency that changed, but the double yield from buildings. It now needs 10 population for +50% and +3 adjacency for the other +50%. Sorry.
NP, the coastal triangle does not need the river, it just provides +1-2 gold for the CH. As a triangle both harbor and then hub match the 3 adjacency... its just the 10 pop... I was unaware of that, thanks for letting me know.

does the +2 gold for foreign continent count as adjacency bonus though?

I think that Golden Age dedication might not always be available though. Or am I understanding something wrong?

So I can see having a harbor next to a city with 2 sea resources and Reyna off continent netting me 28 science just from the harbor... in one city by about turn 50.... 10 cities = 280 science + 20 trade routes + 300+ gold

yes but... Reyna can only be in ONE city right ? so you can't multiply 28*10 ?

does the +2 gold for foreign continent count as adjacency bonus though?
Yup, certainly does currently ... or did when last tested.

I think that Golden Age dedication might not always be available though. Or am I understanding something wrong?
I was unaware of this... that would be upsetting. Still as long as its available once I can at least play some fantasies out.

yes but... Reyna can only be in ONE city right ? so you can't multiply 28*10 ?
Correct... did I? I'll have a look - EDIT Yep you are right... changed from 280 a turn to 238

Thinking more on the availability , its more about the early game I am interested. There seems to be about 12 dedications, not sure they are all available

Last edited:
I think you don‘t have all Golden Age dedications available for every era - that was said in one of the earlier live streams. Which ones are available for which Age is constant, however. So you can plan accordingly to get the Goldrn Ages at times when this specific dedication is possible.

It will certainly be interesting when we actually get the full details, to see what kind of crazy synergies we can figure out like this.

Top Bottom