[R&F] Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi - retain or retire?

lindsay40k

Emperor
+20 local healing versus +5 global healing. They’re both pretty sweet. Do either or both of them stack with Medic / Supply Convoy?

I let circumstances dictate. But I will always retire him at some point.
Yet at the time I get him, there might still be a difficult city to take, mandatory start of an invasion, usually because of terrain +early game relative power of AI army might not be in my favor, then I'd use that guy until this roadblock is removed.

I've never kept him long enough to stack with a medic or convoy - but I don't usually do much later-game warring, either. Typically, I'll keep him around for any conflict I'm in when I get him, then retire him when he'll likely give me a helpful boost.

I'll have to keep a possibly pairing in mind if I think I might do much fighting later. Thanks for the idea.

I usually just keep him until I am done with wars.

I haven't actually built a medic since Vanilla,so not sure how that goes.

He's great. My favorite early game scientist.

Hypatia, Newton, and Galileo are nice but you can live without them. In fact, in most of the games I get them, I often don't even use them.

Hildegaard is nice in theory, but doesn't really have much of an impact.

Abu Al Qasim has a powerful passive ability, especially at that point in the game (well before the Medic). He can really turn the tide in a lot of warfare. I usually just keep him around (instead of ever triggering his global effect).

I mean, if I were to only get a single Great Scientist in the wole game, Iwould definitely choose Abu Al Qasim!

He counts as a medic (I just checked the modifier in the files) and medics don't stack, so it should not be possible to stack his 20 HP healing with a medic's.
Excellent intel, thanks! I kind of suspected he was effectively an early Medic.

Do we know how his global +5 on retirement interacts with Medics? +25HP heals wouldn’t be too shabby, especially in a Thermopylae situation.

Excellent intel, thanks! I kind of suspected he was effectively an early Medic.

Do we know how his global +5 on retirement interacts with Medics? +25HP heals wouldn’t be too shabby, especially in a Thermopylae situation.
Did you ever find out?

He's really helped taking out a city or two where bringing archers to firing range was slow and not many units could be attacking at the same time. Also great general helped to give more mobility to said archers.

Did you ever find out?
According to post above, he's coded as a medic and hence doesn't stack.

With regard to OPs question, I have to say I haven't had much use of him previously, but in my current game he's been a real life saver for me up to and including industrial age, so I'll definitely think twice before retiring him in the future.

Typically we attack not defend

In enemy territory a retired Abu will double your speed of healing and in essence guarantee a +1 on attack defence benefit as well as the fortify.
In neutral territory you heal an extra 50% and in reality unless lightly or heavilly damaged this speeds you up by 2 turns which is pretty good.
In friendly territory it becomes much less and often makes little difference. A little annoying, especially f you have just taken a city and want to move on but the healing rate is pretty good anyway.

If you do not retire... +20 on all healing units within one tile is great and your attack is typically small and can be centralised for healing.

Personally I often fight with more spread out forces and trying to manage Abu is a bit annoying so I retire him and get benefit with no worry but I do appreciate that having him travel with a pack of horse can be useful but he does not ignore ZOC.

I see his best +20 is sitting on a heavily defended unit which is taking multiple attacks. Could be a real pain to try and shift a unit healing 35 HP per turn.

He is a must have for me, and I don't retire him. He's my main general.

As vicky mentioned, you cannot beat the speed of his +20. War is much, much faster with him around. And a single unit can become a god on good terrain.

Essential and I never etire him. Useful in attack and defense. Plus he switches instantly between cities and is indestructable. Often Have him behind front line healing several units so they can recycle into the battle.

When Mamluk's could assault walls I'd build as many campi as possible with Arabia and try to recruit him. Often I'd have to pay allot of gold but more often than not I could grab him. Once he's recruited it was essentially game over (other than all the fun I had decimating AI's with medic attended auto-heal Mamluk's).

How does Abu Al-Qasim Al-Zahrawi's passive actually work? Does he have to be active or asleep? I had him active in my game -- stacked with a melee unit and next to a cavalry unit. The cavalry unit never healed. Do the units have to be in "healing status?"

If I had the patience I would play on a huge map and constantly expanding my empire with new cities while I was waging wars and micromanaged his healing ability for my troops.

Now, I am lazy so I play on small maps with few cities to micromanage and send him into retirement early.

How does Abu Al-Qasim Al-Zahrawi's passive actually work? Does he have to be active or asleep? I had him active in my game -- stacked with a melee unit and next to a cavalry unit. The cavalry unit never healed. Do the units have to be in "healing status?"

The unit does have to do a normal heal, yes. Incidentally, healing happens whenever a unit doesn’t do anything at all in your turn - the healing status just stops the UI from asking for orders for the unit until it’s HP=100.

Also, you weren’t using something like Twilight Valour, which disables healing from resting, by any chance?

Top Bottom