1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Access Violation

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by RavensJellybone, May 27, 2021.

1. RavensJellybone

RavensJellybone Chieftain

I've been playing for a while trying to get through a game but to no avail. Every time I play a game it crashes at some point after pressing "Next turn" whether it's the ancient era through rennaisance with this message:

Unhandled Exception
    Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Error reading address 0x330

Call Stack
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0

Please help me because I love Civ 6 and we spent 100+ dollars on the game. No matter what mods I use, how I set up the game, or who I play as, this error pops up and basically corrupts my game.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

'Unhandled Exception' errors are very generic and can have many root causes, so they are not easy to diagnose. It's impossible to say the exact cause with the limited information you've provided. Generally, however, it is likely a mod that is causing your error. The best thing I can recommend is try to start a game with no mods active, then gradually add them back one by one checking to see if they updated recently and/or are compatible with the current game version. You could also check your Database & Modding Logs for errors.

Knightfall likes this.
  3. RavensJellybone

It seems like it was a mod, as I was able to finally complete a game without it crashing. Thank you for the advice!

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Knightfall

Knightfall Warlord

I've been getting these errors too. I have mods installed, but none turned on during the game since I'm playing online with friends who don't have mods, and this still happens. Is turning them off enough, or do I actually have to delete them and unsubscribe?

5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

It's difficult to say. Some mods, even when disabled can end up staying in the cache. Also, if you're using a saved configuration setup, those mods will still load even when disabled. Best advice I can give is to try deleting the three files in your Cache folder: "..\User Files\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache" & also the Mods.sqlite file: "..\User Files\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite". If that doesn't work, you may have to unsub from those mods.

Knightfall likes this.
  6. Knightfall

Knightfall Warlord

But my friends are also having the same crash, and they don't use mods at all.

7. RavensJellybone

Ok I've narrowed it down to two sets of mods thanks to you, and still trying to find the source of the crash. I know it was a mod because after disabling them I was able to fully complete multiple games. Thank you!

Knightfall likes this.