Accessing Webpage Directories/Indexes?

sourboy

Awakening...
Is it possible to load a webpage (say "www.webpage.com") and reveal it's directory (such as "www.webpage.com/folder/" or "...com/images/") if you are not the admin, but just a regular browser?

I'm talking about the index or whatever, where it has the parent directory, then a link to each folder and all - and it forms a directory tree like your standard OS does.

Can that be accessed by a non-admin of a site, like by a command or something?

EDIT: like this...

If the directory has an index.html or index.php or index.whateverelse page, then no, you can't. From what I know, if you try to view a directory that has one of those pages in it, your browser will default to displaying that page.

So the only way someone can load a folder off my webpage is to enter in the correct name after the initial address ("www.webpage.com/folder/"), but they can not, under any other circumstances, find out what folders are subdirectories without me telling them - if my main page is "index.html" ??

Actually by default your browser will throw a 404 if there is no index page, unless the server is configured differently.

You can try substituting the http: for ftp: but most servers are configured to not allow anonymous logins so you wouldn't be able to browse that way either.

As per your example you should be fine, but I wouldn't suggest using that as a method to securing information. Just because they can't browse your directory doesn't mean spiders wont find it, and they don't always listen when you tell them not to peek.

Top Bottom