1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate Earth Map in development

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kevinman4404, Jul 26, 2007.

1. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

259 Width mean to me that an equatorial tile will be about 155 km and that will decrease each time the latitude increase.
    I must check the trigo for the height since I'm not so easy with cosinus and all. Do you how t work in excel 2007 ? Is it degree, grade or radian that must be specified ?

2. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

:p I have no clue what you are talking about... what exactly are you trying to do? Specify degrees, grade or radian for hwat?

I use excel for a lot of stuff, although 2003.

~~~

folks please let me know your suggestions on how wintermod and summermod should work, I'm eager to get it out of the way with and get a release out

3. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Well, the equatorial perimeter of Earth is near of 40,000 kilometers. thus divided by 259 you have a tile width of approximatively 155 kms. For height, the half-perimeteter is about 20,000 kms that you divide by 180 (degree) for a 111 kms per degree. With an hypotetic range of 158° from south to north then we have 17,556 kms covered accounting for an heigth of 113 kms.

So, an equatorial tile will be 155x113=17,515 square kilometers but it will be less on higher latitudes.

4. moopoo

moopoo King

hooray for maths. :|

If you're dead set on putting in stuff like seasonal changes (The python involved creates a huge time lag, or so i'm told), Am I right in thinking that it'll be kind of a macro thing? what i mean is, if it's one year turns, over the course of about 6 years the Snowline extends down then back to it's original spot, and floodplains expand and then retract? if not, that is my suggestion.

I... don't think it should be more than a graphical thing. If it is, I'm thinking don't make it a terrain change (as in, 1 food instead of 2), but rather something like maintenance for cities that waxes and wanes, or even happiness :)) it's warm and lovely, :( I'm fe-fe-fe-frreeeeezing!).

5. kevinman4404

I am greatly considering this route

Well, there would be no constant reduction as you head north on my map (due to the way it's drawn), rather it would be sporatic, but (hopefully) for the most part, the same

What should I do for summermod (wet season on tiles next to rivers)? Is it realistic to have them turn to more fertile land every wet season? Would this be on some rivers or all tropical, subtropical and transitional biome rivers? (Flood plains will no longer have anything to do with it, I am thinking)

And the big question I need answered for wintermod is... what should I do with areas just below maximum snowcover? Obviously they wouldn't be covered in snow, but they would still experience a winter, to a lesser degree (which is unfair to those that get covered in snow, I think)

Yes, a season will be something like every 8? turns. A month will be 4 turns, but there are only 10 months at present in my mod. I tested it on a small scale, and it was absolutely unnoticable. I'll try testing on my world map soon (where hundreds of tiles will be affected).

6. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Is the one you're using listed here ?

7. kevinman4404

It doesn't use a projection. It is based on someone else's freehand drawing of the world; I merely made it look even nicer. I know this because in a projection placement is preserved. In this one, the placement is all out of wack (ie pacific ocean, alaska, rotation of the continents). It's simply a visualization of what the world really looks like (flat)

The closest one might be the miller cylindrical, just because it looks nice. My map lacks the distortions, and a lot of the pacific ocean is missing.

8. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

I've never heard of such a thing. Every map is using a particular projection.Basically, changing a spheric surface into a plane cannot be done wthout a projection method, even if it is an elaborated one.
    Freehand drawing don't tell me much to calc the surface for each square if it is possible at all.

9. kevinman4404

Yeah, but that's when you keep everything the same. This map is modified to make it look nicer. It is not a flattened sphere like every other map.

However, if you wanted (what are you planning on using the area for?) you could maybe try the miller cylindrical, but take a small amount off the horizontal

10. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

OK, I will try that !

11. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Kevin, Can you provide me with both the highest latitude so I can convert map coordinates . By the way, I'm building a Population Quantitization model that you have listed on the OP of WH mod thread. Need it to check for densities & ...
    If I can save you some time here, I will be happy.

12. kevinman4404

On the southern edge, maybe 57o south

The Pacific Ocean is perhaps half of its real size

13. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

OK, then I'll work with 57 and 81. To what extent do you want a real population growth ?

I mean the world overall growth was rather slow and erratic until 900 AD, average and less erratic until 1800, and high since then.

14. kevinman4404

Well, I'd like to leave the realism to the techs and buildings and stuff you get in the modern era. I'd like to avoid the game feeling pushed but rather consequential.

Then again, I hope that doesn't mess it up. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to do for this.

15. moopoo

moopoo King

Seeing as how population growth was dictated mostly by social and technological development, i think it probably should be dictated.

16. kevinman4404

Yes, but you see what you said can be taken two ways

1) Dictate the population growth, which varies in each era

or

2) Social Policy (civics) and Technology (and buildings) dictact population growth

I don't know which route is the better one to take

17. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I dunno, I would keep the current system, with certain civics affecting the amount of food a city has access to by adding percentage to the city's growth.

18. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Well, to my knowledge, the highest world population growth rate was 2,2% circa 1961, and the highest world population increase is 88 million in 1989. I think I can pretty much make a feel of a real growth. I will synthesize everything on that matter sooon.

19. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Hey, just came up with a quick idea after browsing the first few pages/canal discussions.

So, Forests, Floodplains, Jungles, and Oases count as Terrain Features. Why not have 'Navigable' as a Terrain Feature? It would have the following unique aspects:
    1) Invisible texture. Thus, you can't see it.
    2) Only on Rivers, like Floodplains.
    3) A rivered Navigable Grassland Tile would say something like "Grassland/River/Navigable".
    4) Ships can travel on Navigable rivers.

If you could take it one step further and allow a combination of Grassland/River/Forest/Navigable, it would be even cooler, but probably more work. Just a suggestion.

20. kevinman4404

A couple issues with that idea: a) the rivers are too dense, I've actually drawn a map of all tiles connected to a river, and it would mean you would be able to sail on 70% of the land. I would have to do only important rivers I guess. b) graphics- it would look extremely weird having a ship sailing on land... and I'm pretty insistent on good aesthetics... other than that though it would have been a very good idea

~~~

Sorry I have not been able to work on it. Unfortunately I cannot test anything in Civ4 (crashes and poor computer performance) and I cannot use 3dsmax (not that it applies to this map). I admit I have been purposely postponing stuff until my new rig arrives in early August, so I can start over with a nice, fresh computer

For now I am mostly planning/brainstorming. But you can expect the map to be released not too long after that happens