1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate Earth Map in development

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kevinman4404, Jul 26, 2007.

1. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

The only place to have a big opium economy, as far as I know, is the western silk road, ie Pakistan/Afghanistan, at the borders of India/China/Central Asia. So you wouldn't have to worry about it being a very widespread resource.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but let's ditch fodder. And mercury I'm strongly considering deleting. Not much of an important role... unless it was used in some really important chemicals or something (ie pesticides maybe?)

I'll do some research on that and rubber

2. kevinman4404

Oh, and it is my pleasure to announce that icemod is done and working perfectly :D

Now there are summer, winter and transitional icepacks. Also, from the years 1400-1800, ice will extend even farther in the winter, particularily around Northern Europe. (little Ice Age)

And the best part is, it takes under 2 seconds on my computer to handle all that (and whatever else it handles at the end of each turn).

More to come on resources!

Kevin

3. kevinman4404

Here is a screenshot of what wintermod will do for snowcover:

For now (I'm still pretty desperate for ideas) it just puts snowcover where it belongs, with no transitional climates.

There are 4 turns (Weeks) per Month, and 12 months in a year.

Snowcover changes ever 1&1/2 Months (6 turns). So summer, summer/fall, fall, fall/winter, winter, and then backwards.

Ice (not shown, already done) changes ever 3 months (12 turns)(summer, fall, winter, fall, etc).

In the screenshot, a lighter colour means snow cover close to the summer (ie areas that are snow-covered pretty much year-round) and reds are areas that are snow-covered only in winter.

Snow will currently give 1 food, to balance things out.

Units will also suffer penalties on snow. There will be a promotion for units of northern civs to disregard this.

Additionally, I was wrong about the performance. It takes 5 1/2 seconds to process ice changes. I do not know how long changing the snowcover will take (will update next post). To increase performance, I had an idea- make my sim-years longer, so that the changes happen less often.

Resource work still to come- this is definitely the harder part so I am getting it over with.

EDIT: Ignore the graphic glith in Africa! I accidentally changed the colour of those tiles with one of the macros.

EDIT: Also in the summer and summer/spring and summer/fall, there will be some snowcover in the southern mountain ranges of South America

~~~

Also, summermod looks like it will be removed. Even though tropical regions do have a distinct seasonal pattern, unlike with wintermod, it would balance out, meaning it essentially has no effect and would just slow the game down.

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I'm curious, since I'm implementing something similar to this in RFC RAND, of how you're tracking the terrain type you're replacing with snow. Has it anything to do with the different shades of yellow you're showing?

5. kevinman4404

What these colours show is the different levels of snowcover (all consolidated into one map).

Originally I was going to have a map for each snowcover change, and the different colours would have represented different starting terrains (grasslands, plains, etc.) so I could easily change it back.

However, I decided to consolidate them.

Someone was in the process of designing code that would write what the old plot was to a new file.

That can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=251971

However, it is unfinished.

What I am going to try doing is add another map that shows which plots are supposed to be grassland, tundra, plains, etc. in the summertime.

6. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Kevin, I have just a small graphical suggestion that may fit to your mod:
    Islands, it would just be like a coast tile, but made up of 3 or so islands to add some islands and fill up archipelagos a bit more. It wouldn't just apply to your mod, but your AED gave me this idea. I mean you are a bit of a graphical wizard ;).

Sound like too much/unnecessary work, though?

7. kevinman4404

@Rhye: While my wintermod works perfectly now (using 2 maps, one for snowcover levels, one to check what to change back to), for some reason, unlike Icemod, it takes several minutes every time it changes snow cover (400 tiles?).

I put true for RebuildGraphics, false for recalculate.

I highly doubt it would have a place in your mod. Is there anything I might be able to do to get it down to something reasonable? I don't see how ice changes take 5 seconds, when it has to add graphics and recalculate, whereas with snow it only has to change graphics, and it takes several minutes. And especially that it takes several minutes... it only takes me seconds to load an entire map, so why should it take so long just to rebuild graphics of 400 tiles? Without rebuilding, it takes less than a second.

@ZachScape- that would be an enormous undertaking to learn how to do and it has never been done before. I might look into it at some point (where it doesn't postpone progress on other stuff), I doubt it would be for the exact same purpose, but I'm sure it would have it's uses. I'd love to be able to have land tiles that are in water and are diagonally adjacent be not attached, for example.

8. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

The rules about water and plots is controlled in CvPlot.cpp IIRC...I'll check that out and get back to you. ;)

9. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Or they could be just non removable features giving the ability to field a garrison.

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I didn't mean to add it in my mod, it was just a curiosity. I didn't know it was possible to use two maps. I'm shifting down plots instead.
    No idea about the delay

11. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

Regarding Rubber then those of you that say that Natural Rubber has been replaced by Synthetic Rubber are flatout wrong. Natural Rubber is still very much in high demand.

Also, control of Natural Rubber played a bigger part in both WW1 and WW2 than most people realize.

12. kevinman4404

Yeah, I don't think rubber is the most useful thing in the world maybe, but it's value is still high (especially as a colonial resource), it took more than 50 years to be phased out (at least a century), and still 40% of rubber is natural. I'd say it is a neccessary resource, at the very least for colonial times.

@Rhye: ok

@snipperrabbit: what do you mean? are you talking about wintermod?

The biggest problem, is I do not want it released without a functional wintermod of some sort.

So, just in case I don't find an answer, can any of you think of an alternative way of doing snowcover graphics?

Kevin

13. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

My last post was about islands, kevin !

The forest is rather plastic when it comes to adapt to the environment. Perhaps it's possible to mimic but for a snow cover and seasons.

14. kevinman4404

sorry :p yes, and wintermod will change the trees in the winter, too

15. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Sorry, I was a bit cryptic in post # 513 too ! What I tried to say is that when a worker put a road onto a forest then some trees are erased. I wondered if that causality couldn't be exploited to your purpose.

16. CyberChrist

Well ... "still 40%" is kind of misleading as those 40% is covering far larger amounts today than ever before, as well as the fact that due to the dwindling supplies of -and rising price on - Oil, the demand on Natural Rubber is likely to be on a steady rise in the future.

Also, around 70% of all Natural rubber is used for tyres for automobile tyres and even more so for airplane tyres - most of which are composites of Natural and Synthetic Rubbers (there are a few exceptions like the tyres on the Space Shuttles etc. which are 100% Natural Rubber). So I'd say that for Civ purposes Rubber is still very much an essential resource in modern times, since you basicly cannot make automobiles or aircrafts without access to Natural Rubber.

One solution to lessen then importance of acces to Natural Rubber could be to include a building (national wonder?) that provided Rubber(Synthetic) but required acces to Oil to build (and to function). This would work even better in a mod with quantifiable resources where the Rubber provided by such structure(s) at the same time would drain the Oil stockpile.

Another thing about Rubber plantations that could be implemented is that they are also providing the same benefits as forests (in the real world) by being very effective at absorbing CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) as well as supplying timber.

17. CyberChrist

For those that feel Rubber would play to strong a part if being use a requirement to build certain units/buildings then Rubber could instead be used to give a production boost to the appropriate units/buildings (ie. Mech.Inf trains 10% faster with access to Natural Rubber).

The same approach could be used for other resources as well.

These consideration are of course a bit off thread for the purpose of 'just' making a world map, but since I know you are also making a world history mod based on this map I felt they kind of fitted anyway. ;)

18. kevinman4404

@Cyberchrist: I wonder if vehicles would exist without rubber. I am unsure of whether it should be a requirement or boost (probably the latter?).

A normal building of some sort could easily be used like you suggested. I wonder if I could make it almost as one oil resource was traded away, which would simulate it being drained to make synthetic rubber. But there will be no buildings in the map release, so it is something to think about in the bigger mod.

@Snipperrabbit: I don't see how roads being able to remove trees can give me a (graphical) snowcover. How were you thinking I could do that?

Map release will probably wait until I can solve the wintermod problem, which is my #1 priority right now. However, other map stuff will be worked on meanwhile so that I don't fall too far behind.

19. moopoo

moopoo King

So i'm back from holidays, and wondering if anyone had any suggestions for resources regarding the creation of settler maps. Especially you, Kevin, as i was under the impression you had quite a good one.

20. Ryan19

Ryan19 Chieftain

Hi this map looks awsome! I was wondering when abouts it would be released?