Acken's Minimalistic Balance for singleplayer (and AI improvements)

I have uploaded a corrected dll for the crash of OzzyKP :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmvm29g02zklulq/CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll?dl=0

just drop it in the mod folder.

Most player should not need it. It will be included in the next update anyway. It is possible Antivirus software dislike you downloading dlls. Just disable it to be able to make the replacement if this happens.

So how is it the AI can shoot then move? I was trebbed, and crossbowed from the same city, then the treb moved out? This has happened far to many times, is this a bug or and AI cheat?

Pocatello AI -

Why does he start with more unit strength?

On Deity, AI's start with 2 settlers, 2 workers, 3 warriors and a Scout.

Pocatello starts with 2 settlers, 2 workers, 2 warriors and 3 Pathfinders. This scales down to Emperor as well, where I saw he started with extra stuff as well.

So how is it the AI can shoot then move? I was trebbed, and crossbowed from the same city, then the treb moved out? This has happened far to many times, is this a bug or and AI cheat?
This only works with brand new units. They appear in the city which already has a unit in it, and are allowed to fire instead of having to move out of the city. At the end of the turn 1UPT is enforced and the unit is shunted out. The player can make use of this same bug.

I've done that myself iirc. It's a bug but don't really know how it works.

If you build a unit when you already have one garrisoned in that city, the game will let you fire with both units, but at the end of the turn it automatically unstacks them by moving one of the units out of the city.

The problem is the AI on Immortal/Quick puts out units like pop-corn so they benefit from this much more than the human can. That and they usually are one era ahead in unit tech so they get free kills every time they do this.

On a similar note to Chariots upgrading to Xbows, maybe Ranged Knight UUs like Camel Archer could upgrade to Machine Guns? Ideally ranged should never upgrade into melee or vice versa.

Acken, please net up Barb Hand Axe with that effort as well. (Current CDG is German, so Hand Axe upgrading to Knight is terrible, assuming one has gotten some xp with the unit.)

Ooh! Can we get Barbarians that get Experience and Promotions, too? Barbarian Encampment defense bonus would also be good. :D

As it is I've modded player & AI barbarian bonus to -15,
and Barbarian City Attack Modifier to +25 (from -25), not that it seems to have much effect.

After a fairly good showing on Acken Challenge #2, I've played about 5/6 games since on DemiGod and lost all of them. In each case I was going for a non-Dom VC. I just have no idea how to catch up on tech if conquest is not an option. Some starts mean that you are not able to expand through conquest, or it would be too costly to do it, and without the early rush that I pulled off with Rome, I feel like it's almost impossible to make a move.

Some random observations:

- Tradition border growth seems a lot less. Is it?
- AI is still way too aggressive for me to be able to understand it. In one game, I had all bright green modifiers with Gandhi, had just relocated WC to his lands, and had enough of an army to be successfully waging a Frigate war against someone he had denounced...and from nowhere he DoWs me and quickly conquers two allies and is all set to wipe me out too. And this is Gandhi.

I like the idea of having a longer slower game with a more even tech pace, but the runaways on this game are five times more deadly than on Deity base game, and if early conquest is not an option, how does one possibly get back in the game???

After a fairly good showing on Acken Challenge #2, I've played about 5/6 games since on DemiGod and lost all of them. In each case I was going for a non-Dom VC. I just have no idea how to catch up on tech if conquest is not an option. Some starts mean that you are not able to expand through conquest, or it would be too costly to do it, and without the early rush that I pulled off with Rome, I feel like it's almost impossible to make a move.
I have played a few games, too, and it seems that peaceful game is pretty much impossible on higher difficulties. You either kill the AI's, or they win.

Yeah but you're missing the point. What do you do if you wind up on a map where early conquest is not possible? Even with good play, you can't beat the AI to the Industrial on DemiGod, and so leaving war until later is out. If you can't neutralize your neighbors before T130, what can you do?

[EDIT: I've gone back to Immortal to practice non-DomV VCs. Here is a map (sadly with map packs enabled - I can edit the header if necessary) with Poland that should be OK for practice of Culture and Science. I have played it to turn 130ish and can provide my saves if requested]

[EDIT2: I've played on to T200ish and can confirm that it's a pretty defendable spot, even against 2 AIs. I really like late game Immortal. It continues to be hard, as it's actually quite tough to be equal in tech when not waging war. From all my games so far I'd say that the order of difficulty from Easiest to Hardest is: Dom, CV, Sci, Dip. The AI will butcher all CS if you don't defend them tooth and nail!]

[EDIT: T270ish loss. The runaway got IG which stopped me from an early win. Then overwhelmed the whole map in <20 turns with really advanced units. I was not the last civ to be taken, but the other one had 1/5th the military I had before the invasion began. The loss was by 4 turns. In 4 turns, I could faith buy a GM that would have secured my win. I mean, I could have gone back and reloaded but I was playing with strict HoF rules as per usual. I hung on for a while by spamming Landsknechts and keeping them from taking the cities, but really the AI's use of Jet Fighters and XCOMs was quite superb, tbh. If anyone wants saves from 0-T270, I will provide them. I learned a lot about the mod playing this game, and it's clear that even on Immortal, a defensive victory is really hard. Which means that all victories now necessitate early conquest. I think after this I'm gonna quit civ, cuz I've explored everything I wanted to try in the game. Thanks for being a great community to communicate with :)]

Attachments

• Casimir III_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    520.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20160713142909_1.jpg
    20160713142909_1.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 142
Hi. Mac user here. Do you plan to support your mod on OS X in the near future ?
I am also a Mac user and have followed some discussion around the Window-centric nature of the more significant mods. There is nothing Acken can do for his mod. Too much functionality is locked up with DLL files, which are compiled source code. I believe that Firaxis could make all modding cross platform, but they have not done so yet, and there is no reason to expect that they will ever bother.

Here is a better explanation from another recent thread:
Many changes that the Community Patch makes are only possible via C++, compiled as the DLL. The necessary hooks and events are not exposed to LUA. It is therefore impossible to reimplement these changes for Mac.

Top Bottom