Adding Icons and Images?

IcyVines

Chieftain
With no luck, a friend and I have attempted to follow the current guides to add icons and images to our mod.

We have tried following both https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...atra-in-the-dip-screen-make-blp-files.611608/ and https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ation-icon-in-way-too-many-easy-steps.613169/

All of our icon and image files are in DDS format, and I understand how to create TEX files for them, but I simply can't wrap my head around how the XLP, ArtDef, and DEP files should be handled, created, or edited without a crash occurring, either when attempting to build or when the game is already running. Are there any other guides that I could follow. Adding icons in Civ5 was so much easier T_T

Thanks.

I don't know about images in general, but icons in many cases can be added without any dealings with XLP, ArtDefs, etc. I did that for Great People, Great People Class, new buildings, and even totally new Disaster icons.
All you need to do is:
  • have .dds,
  • import it using <ImportFiles> component and
  • properly define an IconAtlas and Icon itself in Icons component.
  • Make sure the icon type must be always ICON_here_the_object_name.

I found one of the easiest to cause and most frustrating crashes I got was when I messed up the naming in the XLP file, probably because i tried to rush through it having become impatient to be finished by then. Either by having duplicate entries or mismatching pairs will cause a crash and the error message you'll get is not clear. Also I found it very easy to review the code and still not see the flaws because the lines are all so similar. I suggest that you check your XLP carefully to be sure that you have matching pairs with no missing numbers, and that you haven't inadvertently left a duplicate pair. E.g. The following are errors:
Code:
<Element>

<m_EntryID text="Forest_Atlas200"/>
            <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas200"/>
        </Element>
        <Element>
        </Element>
Code:
<Element>
            <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas20"/>
        </Element>
Code:
<Element>
            <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas"/>
        </Element>
Code:
<Element>
            <m_EntryID text="Forest_Atlas"/>
        </Element>

Of course it's also possible that your issues are elsewhere, but with a little luck it might be only this.

Top Bottom