1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Icons and Images?

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by IcyVines, Apr 14, 2017.

1. IcyVines

IcyVines Chieftain

With no luck, a friend and I have attempted to follow the current guides to add icons and images to our mod.

We have tried following both https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...atra-in-the-dip-screen-make-blp-files.611608/ and https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ation-icon-in-way-too-many-easy-steps.613169/

All of our icon and image files are in DDS format, and I understand how to create TEX files for them, but I simply can't wrap my head around how the XLP, ArtDef, and DEP files should be handled, created, or edited without a crash occurring, either when attempting to build or when the game is already running. Are there any other guides that I could follow. Adding icons in Civ5 was so much easier T_T

Thanks.

2. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I don't know about images in general, but icons in many cases can be added without any dealings with XLP, ArtDefs, etc. I did that for Great People, Great People Class, new buildings, and even totally new Disaster icons.
    All you need to do is:
    • have .dds,
    • import it using <ImportFiles> component and
    • properly define an IconAtlas and Icon itself in Icons component.
    • Make sure the icon type must be always ICON_here_the_object_name.

3. CivilizationAce

CivilizationAce Warlord

I found one of the easiest to cause and most frustrating crashes I got was when I messed up the naming in the XLP file, probably because i tried to rush through it having become impatient to be finished by then. Either by having duplicate entries or mismatching pairs will cause a crash and the error message you'll get is not clear. Also I found it very easy to review the code and still not see the flaws because the lines are all so similar. I suggest that you check your XLP carefully to be sure that you have matching pairs with no missing numbers, and that you haven't inadvertently left a duplicate pair. E.g. The following are errors:
    Code:
    <Element>

<m_EntryID text="Forest_Atlas200"/>
                <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas200"/>
            </Element>
            <Element>
            </Element>
    Code:
    <Element>
                <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas20"/>
            </Element>
    Code:
    <Element>
                <m_ObjectName text="Forest_Atlas"/>
            </Element>
    Code:
    <Element>
                <m_EntryID text="Forest_Atlas"/>
            </Element>
    Of course it's also possible that your issues are elsewhere, but with a little luck it might be only this.