• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Adding Melee Attack to Naval Units

ComradeKristov

Warlord
I was wondering how to make it so that naval units can melee attack one an other rather than just being able to bombard each other. I want them to retain their promotions for ranged attack, but I find it frustrating that I can't just have my battleship steamroll a destroyer with its superior strength. I'm fairly adept at Civ IV XML but this new LUA stuff any help would be nice :D

I don't know either, but it is very annoying. Especially considering Triremes were primarily used to ram and board other ships, not to launch arrows

yes triremes and even ironclads

as a matter of fact an ironclad should shoot and ram

and it would make both those units more fun and useful

the evidence is clear- Even in the Modern Age a Last Ditch Ram Option should be Available because the Japanese ram ships all the time and so did Captain Kirk

You'll need to edit Units.xml (In C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Units). Backup the file first!

In the Unit_FreePromotions table look for the row where it gives the units you want the 'PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE' and comment that out. That should probably work.

Example:

Code:
<!--
<Row>
	<UnitType>UNIT_TRIREME</UnitType>
	<PromotionType>PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE</PromotionType>
</Row>
-->

Ramming would be a kick ass option. It is really annoying to have to waste 3-4 rounds of ranged attacks trying to take out a wood boat with a more modern version.

You'll need to edit Units.xml (In C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Units). Backup the file first!

In the Unit_FreePromotions table look for the row where it gives the units you want the 'PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE' and comment that out. That should probably work.

Example:

Code:
<!--
<Row>
	<UnitType>UNIT_TRIREME</UnitType>
	<PromotionType>PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE</PromotionType>
</Row>
-->

OR just make a mod and delete it that way, instead of hacking the game.

If your able to do this please post here, or even better make a mod and let us know. I have been playing vanilla mainly, but definetly think this should have been a feature from the get go. Sorry I can't give you any help myself, but I am truly excited if you can get this to work.

I'd suggest that full naval engagements should only occur when a faster ship is attacking. I'd also suggest that badly injured ships should lose some speed.

Ramming would be a kick ass option. It is really annoying to have to waste 3-4 rounds of ranged attacks trying to take out a wood boat with a more modern version.
if it wouldnt be set in stone that every attack only does 4 damage, then maybe it would be better. but the naval AI is so messed up anyway, anything that makes the player better at sinking is just another notch in defeating the AI

Top Bottom