Adding regiments to improve combat system, any modders interested?

Levgre

King
I posted this in the NiGHTS forum as it is a huge overhaul of the game, but hasn't really changed combat. I'm working on learning AS3 and Skyrim modding so I don't think I'll have time to get into Civ 5... I'd be willing to help anyone test and/or design balance.

Civ 5 combat suffers overall from simplicity, lack of realism, and clunkiness. I think the regiments could largely reduce this, with relatively little effort.

Instead of choosing to build infantry, you choose from Infantry + tank regiment, Infantry + artillery regiment, etc. In WWII many tank units still only had about 50 tanks with 1000 troops. You have one or two bread and butter units(an infantry type, cavalry type), and use attachments for siege, ranged, etc. This makes the one unit per tile much less clunky, and you can even run siege right next to a city.

Below is a theoretical layout..

Ancient units

Main unit tree
Warrior
Brutes (skilled soldiers with copper weapons and medium armor)
Swordsman
Longswordsman

Early regiment attachments

Swordsmen + siege regiment (battering rams, ladders, siege tower) bonus to city attack
Swordsmen + catapult regiment (can do ranged attack with bonus vs cities)
+ archer regiment (can do basic ranged attack)
+ medic regiment (heals nearby units, heal after fighting)
+ engineer regiment (bonus to fortify, bonus to city garrison)
+ scout regiment (extra speed in rough terrain, higher visibility)
+ spear regiment (bonus vs cavalry)
+ cavalry regiment (bonus on flat land, extra flank bonus?)

Then there would also be full fledged cavalry and archer units, as the added mobility or ranged focus is important strategically. Similarly, there would also be full-fledged tank/armored units able to move quickly, alongside infantry units with tank attachments.

I'm not even sure if this would really require much coding, but rather would just need to create the units and make them build options.

Top Bottom