ADDING UNITs TO C3C: Thorough Guide for the Newbie

"Extras Art paths for scenarios".

1-How does this work? - I kind of get it, but am missing the accuracy of the 'Folder Paths' me thinks,,:dunno:

2-Is it possible to say add the "Scenario Mod Rising Sun - C3C through the 'Editor' to a self generated map?. I've playing on Game generated Maps,,,but,,,:aargh: - I have lots of my own made maps...

3.[im sure it is]... how would you write the correct path for this using the 'Scenario Search Folder'??? [Seems the only way I'm going to understand folder and file structure is by actual manual application. And work it out from there, backwards. :think:]

4- what is the importance of "Extra" in the path. ???

[###] -- lol,,, I tried to add a unit [Quetzalcoatl Ship] ages ago to a map and managed to crash the game,,,so I put that map away....I used it again to do some testing forgetting this unit problem,,,while playing I noticed this unit again,,, On closer inspection I noticed it was a dinosaur :lmao:- it still crashed......:rolleyes:

- Could you also add the game play of say "Rood" to any map?????

I'm not sure I understand your question about 'extras' so I won't answer it. As for the second one, even though it's not for this thread which is for units, what do you exactly mean babout the 'gameplay'? Many features can be imported.

Hope this works... I don't speak the computer language,,,{yet}

:hmm:... I thought this was the right place [ thread] to ask about adding units.... The opening Thread has the heading, "ADDING UNITs TO C3C: Thorough Guide for the Newbie, [
Colonel Kraken.]" - maybe needs to be refreshed elsewhere,,:think:

I'm really asking about using the Scenario Properties 'Search Folder' in the Editor [Conquests]; How does the 'Scenario Search Folder' work ??? - I'm mainly looking to change the Terrain graphics/buildings etc on Maps to start with...

I'm just not sure how you write up the correct path. 'Meteor Man' was explaining to me about how the Search Folder worked but he seems to have disappeared. he used the example ["Increased:..\..\civ3ptw\extras\Medieval Japan\"] as a path.....

another example from another thread ["..\Scenarios\Japan1583;..\extras\Medieval Japan;..\Scenarios\Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;..\extras\World War II..."];

---- wondering what is 'extras' mean??-

= (example) How would I write up the path if I wanted the Terrain from "Sn00pys Rising Sun".

I'm really asking about using the Scenario Properties 'Search Folder' in the Editor [Conquests]; How does the 'Scenario Search Folder' work ??? - I'm mainly looking to change the Terrain graphics/buildings etc on Maps to start with...

The scenario search folder tells the game (via the editor) to look in a specific directory for the relevant files needed for the mod. It doesn't matter if it's units, terrain, buildings...ect.

I'm just not sure how you write up the correct path. 'Meteor Man' was explaining to me about how the Search Folder worked but he seems to have disappeared. he used the example ["Increased:..\..\civ3ptw\extras\Medieval Japan\"] as a path.....

Yeah...sorry about that. :mischief:

another example from another thread ["..\Scenarios\Japan1583;..\extras\Medieval Japan;..\Scenarios\Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;..\extras\World War II..."];

---- wondering what is 'extras' mean??-

"extras" is a folder in "Civilization 3\CIV3PTW" that holds the art files for different terrain sets.

= (example) How would I write up the path if I wanted the Terrain from "Sn00pys Rising Sun".

Well, first of all you have to know the location of the art files for "Sn00py's Rising Sun." I'm assuming that this is a terrain set that you downloaded, because I don't happen to have it.

For the purposes of this post, I'm going to assume that the art files for Sn00py's Rising Sun terrain set is located in "Civilization 3\Conquests\Scenarios". (This of course depends on where you downloaded and extracted the files to. I would recommend the location I'm using as an example.)

In the editor for your mod, all you really have to do is type the location of the art files. In this case, if the file that holds the art files is named "Sn00py's Rising Sun", then all you have to type is this:

Code:
Sn00py's Rising Sun

Just the folder name.

If, however, you also needed files located in the "extras" folder that comes with Civ3 PTW, then you have to add another entry. Say for example you also want the art files in the "Prehistoric" folder:

Code:
Sn00py's Rising Sun;..\..\civ3ptw\extras\Prehistoric\

All I did was add the other directory after the first one, separated by a semicolon. The backslash at the end of "Prehistoric\" tells the computer to look inside that folder. I don't really know if you need this or not. :lol: I just do it because the game designers did it. I'm a bit paranoid.

Hope this helps. :goodjob:

Thanks Meteor Man... good to see you back.. sorry I'm such a plonker with this,,,,

:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:
I hate this 'unknown computer stuff'.... when I finally do get it, it really was "so easy". I didn't get the #%@$#%&@# Folder Search thing figured out.

Wont give up... :deadhorse:

Probably Sn00pys Folders were not the right choice to try out....:hmm:

When one downloads the main file...'The Rising Sun' inside is lots of things....

Folders are
-'Art/Advisors-Civilpedia-EraSplash-Flics-interface-leaderheads-Terrain-Units' /
-'Rising Sun /Art/Text-[txt docu-"Changes-Installation-Readme-(excell wordsheet of units)]'/
-'Sn00pys Terrain (C3C)/Art/Cities-Civilpedia-Terrain'/
-WarpstormWatercolorMKII/Art/Cities-Terrain'/
-'15 biq files'
-'txt-the rising sun (info)'

Maybe I need to find an easier example..,,,, :trouble:

:hmm: I'm not even so keen on all the terrain graphics in here anyway.

- Wish there was 'You Tube':popcorn: tutorial to watch :popcorn:

Hrm, I could possibly make a tutorial. It'll take a couple days, certainly.

Yeah, that's not really a good choice, there are lots of files in there, it's kinda complicated.

Thanks Meteor Man,,, If you could make a tutorial that would be great,,,Just don't put your self out though,,, no great Rush!

I personally think more video tutorials would be great,,, .

My problem is I'm in Taiwan so rushing off to the City Library for a book or two on computer file stuff isn't that easy.

Unit_32, WTF is this ????

I downloaded a new unit to add to scenario/game..... inside my unit folder I have the following;
Unit-ini file / unit_readme / unit.pcxLarge & Small / unit_flc file -Attack,death, etc/ & unit-32

I cut & put the unit_large & unit_small into Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Units

Where do I put the unit_32 file ? :think:

I have no picture of my unit in my game ? :huh:

:coffee:

Unit_32, WTF is this ????

I downloaded a new unit to add to scenario/game..... inside my unit folder I have the following;
Unit-ini file / unit_readme / unit.pcxLarge & Small / unit_flc file -Attack,death, etc/ & unit-32

I cut & put the unit_large & unit_small into Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Units

Where do I put the unit_32 file ? :think:

I have no picture of my unit in my game ? :huh:

:coffee:

I've already explained this:

There's one more thing you should probably know. The icon number (it's shown as "Icon: 0" in the pic above the last with the properties for the horses resource) tells the game what will actually be displayed in-game as a resource. This can be edited here in the "resources.pcx" file:

Spoiler :

You'll have to open it up with a picture editing program that opens .pcx files, such as GIMP like I use. (It's free, download from here.

Once open, just tag your new resource image onto the end, save, open up the editor, and change the "Icon: #" until you see it (up or down by the arrows). If you don't see it, it's because you opened the editor before saving the resources.pcx file:

Spoiler :

Another thing, the icon for the unit is edited the exact same way as the resources, just add the new icon onto the end of the big .pcx file, in this case called the "units32.pcx" in Conquests\Scenarios\Art\Units.

Make sense?

"Make sense?"

not much more... I have Gimp.. seems different from yours.. I have 2.8. I've been trying to figure it out for weeks now. Must have read 1/2 of the CIV3 threads on this subject :(

I can get the "units32.pcx" from Conquests\Art to appear on Gimp centre screen;
I can also get the "unit32.pcx" of the unit from Conquests\Scenario\MyMod2\Art\Units to appear in a secondary small box;
joining the two together is the problem. My unit is just floating in the middle of main Icon sheet [??];:confused:

I get lots of crashes,,[ "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more" ].

C'mon, copy and paste operations are the same in GIMP as in other programs, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, move around with mouse and/or arrows to right location, done.

C'mon, copy and paste operations are the same in GIMP as in other programs, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, move around with mouse and/or arrows to right location, done.

:hmm: - I know this, (looking for help not more hindering) :gripe: , nothing seems to working properly..... I'll try download Gimp to another laptop to see if the problem is within the download of the 1st laptop.

The unit image just floats ,,, won't move,,,,,. then crashes;

:banana:
Seems I had to change the tool...was on paintbrush,,,,:blush:

thank you for any help..even seemingly not important to me.

OK,,,on to the next problem,,:lol: -"save"

Ah, in Gimp 2.8, (which is what I have now as well) there is no more save*. You have to File>Export the image as a .pcx file under the same name (units32.pcx).

*well, there is, but you don't need to use it

Ah, in Gimp 2.8, (which is what I have now as well) there is no more save*. You have to File>Export the image as a .pcx file under the same name (units32.pcx).

*well, there is, but you don't need to use it

-lol, the save that isn't a save. :hmm: the File>Export isn't any easier. I have to be the worst IT person in the world. Sorry! - :( - Guess learning is one step at a time.

- All I've managed to achieve since yesterday is deleting to "My Mod(s)" into the rubbish,,, the icons in editor wouldn't go past 84, or crashing Gimp.

- I'll note down what I'm doing,, and maybe my {many} errors can be spotted.

1; Open the Units_32 file {copied from Conquests "Art" folder} into Gimp.

2; I dragged 'my-new-unit_32' onto the main icon sheet. It just sits floating in the middle of main icon sheet.

3; I went to Tools> Transform Tools> Move to changed my cursor arrow from Airbrush to Move [or just click "M" maybe (?)].

4; I dragged 'my-new-unit-image' into the 1st free pink box... :).

5; Clicked on File>Export;

6; = now I'm stuck, to many options/ to many failures. :think: =

--- At the top I have "units_32" highlighted in blue,

--- Under that I have "Save in Folder" :\Users-Public-Games-CIVIII-Conquests-Scenarios-mymod4-Art-Units. (Units is highlighted in blue);

--- Left Side ; Places; Search-Recently Used--[f]new owner-[f]Desktop- etc, etc...:

--- In the centre large box titled
[Name] ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,- [|Size |Modified]
-[f] QuetzalcoatlShip
-[f] units_32.pcx

I'm pressing Export at the bottom right corner and it tells me ["A file named "units_32.pcx" already exists. Do you want to replace it. [Replace] [Cancel];

:deadhorse: - I'm at a loss here, what to do, :dunno:,, everytime I try something either Gimp crashes or my mod folder needs to be deleted, I'm worried I might destroy my whole Conquest Game:suicide:, feel like punching my comp screen,,,[pissed]

Well, first of all you certainly don't want to edit the Conquests units_32.pcx. Here are step by step instructions:

1. create a new mod folder in Conquests\scenarios\

2. name it whatever you want. ("my mod" is easiest)

3. create new folders inside of "my mod" entitled "text" and "art"

4. copy the units_32.pcx file from Conquests\art to Conquests\scenarios\my mod\art

5. right click on units_32.pcx and select "edit with Gimp"

6. once the units_32 file is open in Gimp, copy "my-new-unit_32" onto the screen, and fit into the next open box (using the transform tools)(make sure you anchor the floating "my-new-unit_32" - just click somewhere else to anchor it or press ctrl-J (I think))

7. in Gimp, at the top, click on Image>Mode and make sure it says "Indexed." It should already. If it doesn't, click index and okay every box that comes up.

8. File>Export... and just save. When it asks to overwrite, go ahead, making sure that you are overwriting the units_32.pcx file inside of your Conquests\Scenarios\My Mod\art folder and NOT Conquests\Art.

:band::banana::dance::beer::bounce::cheers:

:hatsoff: finally got pic in mod :)

Anchor is ctrl i ...... ctrl j makes the main central screen shrink:

Excellent,,, now I can spend the 5-6 hrs a day that I've spent banging my head against the wall :wallbash:, on being constructive,,,,, well only till the next problem.

was such a small thing....lol,,,,

thanks Meteor Man;

PS: I see you have a Scenario.. I downloaded it. Is it playable?, like are all the bits there ?

Great, glad you got it working. Ask away if you need more help.

As for my mod, it is playable, but the version you downloaded sis very outdated compared to the one I currently use on my own computer. And the civilopedia still isn't done.

Well happiness was short lived,,,,,, lol

After getting the first unit to appear in my mod..... the 2nd one didn't. I wanted to add the Atlatl warrior ["Atlatl"]; Seem like I had done it correctly. but when I looked inside the Editor It was actually a nuclear bomb,,,:lmao:
I tried a couple of other ones,,, the third one had a black background screen in the Icon page so i didn't add that one.
I did a 4th unit but it is a picture of the settler in the Editor,,,
The 3 units that I did add are attached to the main "units_32", just not in Editor.{?}

I cant play the game because it crashed 2 times when I tried to change the unit that was being built.

Problem with the Editor....When I scroll thru the unit icon [number] pictures, it is missing some pictures, skipping numbers,,and wont go past 83... box appears saying = "Please enter an integer between 0 & 83".

It was doing this B4 to the mods so i deleted them.... With all this failure I will become and expert at the end of it :)

try again 2-moro.

Top Bottom