Adler 001 - Where Eagles Dare- AoI II style

@vmxa: Thanks for the pointer. Mine says:

#ICON_BLDG_Stadium
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\ArenaLarge. pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\ArenaSmall. pcx

...but changing it didn't do help; the game still crashed with the same error. I tried copying the file into the main Conquests folder, but then that crashed with:

"art\advisors\italy_all.pcx" missing.

What I do is to d/l the mod and save it. Then copy and install. That way I always have the original stuff. If you have the original file and it is zipped, open with unzip tool.

Copy from the tool to someplace. Compare the copied stuff to the Scenario stuff and see what does not match. Often I can just see the sizes are not the same. For sure you do not have the latest stuff in the correct place, the trick is to figure out what parts are not correct.

If it you find a file is not current and can copy/replace it is not too bad. If the files are the same, but a few entries are not matched, it can be a bugger. You either have to fix and try over and over or find a tool to comapre line for line.

When you say copy and install, do you mean copy the mod files or copy the C3C files before adding the mod to it? I'm not sure that copying the mod makes any sense -- after all, those are the files I'm trying to install! Besides, I have the .rar as a backup if needed.

But then again, copying the C3C files doesn't make any sense, either -- installing the mod means adding a new subfolder to the civ3/Conquests/Scenarios (or civ3/Conquests/Conquests) folder. I'm not overwriting any files by doing that, so there's no need to make a backup.

As for running a diff on the mod files...sure, I could do that, but what do I compare them to? Obviously I don't have all the files in the right places, but since I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the mod, I have no way of knowing what's wrong or what's missing ... until the AoII save crashes the game.

I mean I copy it to the Scenario folder. That is not required. I do it as the unzuip app does not have admin. It also leaves my download untouched, so I cannot inavertently corrupt it. Just a preference.

The copy for compare was to not have to unzip and to put it someplace I want that has nothing to do with Civ.

Actually you will overlay some files as there are several pieces that have to be installed. I have 6 files in my Civ folder. This folder is not part of the game, it is just a place to house things I d/l or create for civ.

I suspect that one or more of these pieces are missing. One is a Sound patch, one is 4.1 patch, one is Romfell, just to name a few.

Actually you will overlay some files as there are several pieces that have to be installed.

*blink* *blink* I do? Wish someone had told me that a week ago, before I wasted all this time trying to get the mod working.

I have 6 files in my Civ folder. This folder is not part of the game, it is just a place to house things I d/l or create for civ.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you have something like C:\civ which is referenced by the mod, or do you mean it's more like a workspace folder where you keep things that relate to Civ?

I suspect that one or more of these pieces are missing. One is a Sound patch, one is 4.1 patch, one is Romfell, just to name a few.

Again, I wish someone had mentioned these. What's a 4.1 patch (4.1 what?), and what is Romfell?

Seriously. I feel like I need a comprehensive knowledge of Civ 3 modding to try and get this sucker installed. It's downright crazy :crazyeye:

Edit: Strange thing is that I was able to start an AoI II game over the weekend, but then the save from this thread crashed Civ. :confused:

Yes I have a folder called civ that has many sub folders that are a warehouse of mods, notes, pix and even complete games with notes and pix. These I use to install on new PC or recover from some screw up or just look up things I have saved.

In my Civ folder I have a folder called AoI. It has these 6 items:

AoI 4.1 patch
for wonder splash
Romfell
AoI
aoi_v4.zip
SoundPatchAoIv4.rar

Where do you get all those??!? All I have is AoI II.rar

(ignoring patches...I deleted all the "x001 Worker.rar" type files after adding them to the AoI II folder)

Also - thanks for being so helpful, vmxa.

I don't even remember now. I played AoI 3.0 and then replaced it with v4. As things were put in the thread, I grabbed them. I normally try to reconcile so that I only have what is needed as I know that down the road, I won't be able to keep track.

Probably Adler can point out what is needed and the order. I would guess AoI unzipped, then the 4.1 patch. Think wonder and Romfell could go on then, if still need. Check the dates.
Sound patch and the v4 zip is the latest biq.

Where do you get this 4.1 patch?

...also, are you talking AoI 1 or 2?

...also x2, I'm still clueless about what Romfell is :'(

Whoops you are correct I am looking at the wrong AoI.

Yup there is something different about the pedia file in the d/l and the one used by Alder17. I played this game about a year ago. I d/l the thing from scratch and loaded the save and got the same error. There seems to be files that are superflous such as the zipped Patch. All with older dates and two exe for Civ3, which is probably ilegal to do, not to mention the noraze one. IOW I do not know, if any of those are beingused and are an issue,but Idoubt it.

I played with my normal c3c last nov. Let me go to the thread in the mod forum and see what is there.

I looked at the H1.1 BIQ and it has SportsStadium, no Stadium.
Here is the process I followed:
1) d/l AOI II ALL.rar
2) d/l 1.1
3) d/l X001 worker
4) d/l Z078
5) d/l pediacons

Extract the ALL into Conquest folder. Extracted the two BIQ. Copy the files in 3,4 and 5.

Try to load save and get the Stadium error. Select civ content and H.1.1 and start a new game.

I am not well versed in the Editor, but I tried a few things all failed.

I see that the building icons are ArenaLarge.pcx and ArenaSmall.pcx. In the ICON folder they are using lowercases for all letters.

I tried to make the BLDG Sport_Stadium. This is to match the biq entry Sport Stadium.

The Pediacons.txt is in alpha order, though it states it is suppose to be in the order of the BIQ. Well actually they talk about BIC.

In short I do not know what it will take to correct this error msg. Normally the msg means a pediacon entry is not there or does not match the BIQ. I do not see any entry in the improvement and wonders list for Stadium, only Sport Stadium.

Guys I broke out my old hex editor and I see the name of the building is "Sport Stadium". The name of the pedia entry is "Stadium". So I the BIQ list is the name of the structure. The Pediacons.txt has to match the BIQ pedia name and it does.

The entries in the pediacons for the pcx has to match the one in the Civpedia.txt and it does, IF it is not case senistive.

The list in the BIQ for those names matches the save in terms of order, as it follows University. So I am no farther along to an answer than before.

I thought I tried to match the exact case and spelling of the pediacon to the ICON in the civpedia, but I may have changed more than that, not sure.

I was hoping that Alder would have checked in last night as the 23rd was the last post. My guess is that he used a different BIQ that the one in the current d/l. The one I have has the same BLDG_Stadium as the pediacons.

Then I don't understand why the msg says it cannot find it, as it is in the txt file. So I am surely confused. I would have though the error msg comes from the BIQ, but the msg is a match for what is in the pediacons.

Of course you don't have the error, if you did there would not be a save. Compare your BIQ to the one in the 1.1 d/l. Compare your pediacons.txt to the the one in the full. You have something like 3 people that get the same error. I do not have complete. I doubt that it would matter, if I did as I doubt it is the executable that is the issue. Complete has some folder issue and I would have no trouble getting that correct.

Top Bottom