• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

After playing trial my feedback

andrewgprv

Second Class Citizen
Take Age of Empires and Empire Earth then make them more complicated and you have Rise of Nations.

I don't even know why I thought I might like it I hate RTS. But if you like RTS you'll probably like this game.

If you don't like RTS don't bother.

Yep I'll have to agree with that, RoN, IMHO, is Empire Earth done right. It is a totally awesome RTS game, and I would be buying it just because I also enjoy RTS's, but if you don't, then seriously don't bother. Although the Conquer the World campaign is pretty nice, its core is still in RTS.

The game is still totally awesome nonetheless.

I agree, this game owns hardcore. Purchased my copy today... You know its a good RTS when a person so devoted to TBS adores it :)

i tried the demo, it did'nt take my fancy, it all flies by to fast for my liking. I did like the game to a certain extent but i just get the feeling that after 4 or 5 games i would be bored if it. It dos'nt appear to have the re-playability the civ has got.

Originally posted by digger760
i tried the demo, it did'nt take my fancy, it all flies by to fast for my liking.

In the full game there are several options that slow things down. And if it is still to fast there are easily editable XML files :)

Yep, I also usually play with expensive and slow technology, so it runs even slower, makes it more important what age you are, as complete battles may be fought between people of different ages before one advances, and those units can make all the difference.

Well, I don't have played a lot to it, but for now I'm all BUT thrilled...

It's really a mix of Empire Earth and AoK. Absolutly NOTHING to do with Civilization.

I'm not real fond of the game at all. I don't mind RTS games, but I suppose if I had to choose one, I would choose Command and Conquer over this one. It seems like there is so much going on and the player interface with the game leaves a lot to be desired...Too busy, cluttered.

I liked RoN but the whole conquest campaine i found to be disapointing, i don't like the fact that after each level of the campaine you have to start over. (rebuild your army and re-reasearch everything.)

I don't like it either (the demo, and RoN expansion demo). As Greece, I got to the information age (and I think 3 out of 4 last techs) in about 30 minutes. Plus, you can't continue after a win (i.e., against the computer). I felt like I was clicking techs every 15 seconds, building villagers as fast as I could, etc.

As far as RTS games are concerned, I actually like AoE II better. But, as far as any strategy games are concerned, I like TBSs better. More time to think, and I can add a bit of a roleplay element into it.

I've have been playing the trial alot and i love this game.... you can slow down the game play a number of ways if it bothers you alot.
Its a refreshing change to a play game that doesn't take over your free time for an entire week. My last civ3 game lasted 14 hours with 4civs on tiny map for instance. I can't wait to get my hands on the retail version.

I love RoN; bought a PC laptop and foresook my beloved iMac to play it. There are so many options to make your gaming experience what you want as you start a new game -- just like Brian Reynold's SMAC/X. The Civ experience comes from lots of UUs and each nation's abilities. I love the fact that I can start a game in the Enlightenment Age and keep it there, thus getting a full Napoleonic strategy game. Playing with 'big huge' maps also prolongs the building period before war breaks out, as does setting a time before nations can declare war.

The interface is very similar to AoM, probably due to the publisher's influence. That's not a bad thing as it just makes the initial mechanics more familiar.

If you haven't tried the full Conquer the World campaigns, give it a go. I noticed that I was getting similar pleasure to when I painted miniature figurines all those years ago. Every battle now has a context and the result was even more important when part of an overall strategy. The AI is very clever and I have to continually watch my army/unit formations and Order of Battle, and the direction to which they're facing. Siege units are just what Napoleon would have wanted. Also, there is great joy in sending a carefully created and placed cavalry unit against the flank of the enemy's grenadiers. (If you ever read Lawford/Young's 'CHARGE: Or How to Play Wargames', you'll have an idea of the depth of my meaning).

Top Bottom