AG13 - OCC Demigod

Aggie

Deity
I have played a couple of OCCC's and they were all great fun. The best of them all was emperor OCCC and -despite the fact that we barely managed to win it- it made some of us curious what would happen on demigod.

I don't want to make the game too strict on this level though.

So that's why I came with the following variant:

VARIANT RULES
-Demigod OCC, with Space or Conquest as Gold medal wins, 20K culture as Silver medal win and UN as bronze medal win.
-Small map
-AI Aggression: normal
-Opponents: 5 random AI's.
-Rules: Standard, all standard single player victories enabled
-Barbarians: No barbarians/sedentary
-Level: Demigod
-C3C 1.22
-No matter what, we stay optimistic/fatalistic and try our best. I have played a lot of games against the odds and they can be the most fun.
-EDIT (feb 5, 22:30 CET): With OCC I mean: at the end of the turn we may not have more than one city. During the turn we may have as many as we want. So we are allowed to demand cities for peace and then abandon them.
-We may not build cities ourselves!
-Popped settlers have to be joined into the city. END EDIT.

BANNED TACTICS
These tactics are banned in my SG's. I got my inspiration from RBCiv, with a few slight differences:

"Phony Peace Treaty": Making Peace Treaties without having the intention to stay at peace, just to get cheap techs, cities or money.

"Mass troop jumping": When you give away a city to another tribe, all the troops from that city are transported to your capital. This can be exploited. Especialy in scenarios where you need to take an important city (for example a possible 20K city) and after that want to get your troops home safely. It is OK to give away a city with up to two defenders in it.

"RoP Rape": Using Right of Passage to move whole armies into attack position.

"Resource Piracy": Sitting on resources or deny a civ access to a tile inside the borders of the rival while at peace.

"Seed Corn": It is not allowed to buy the LAST TWO workers from the AI before 1000 BC.

"Negative cash research": The penalty of negative cash is only one unit. So there are cases where this can be worthwile. Science spending must be lowered when the cash would go below zero.

"Great Library slingshot": When you capture the Great Library city before you have Education and keep it one turn, you will get ALL the technologies known by at least two other tribes. You can get from the Middle Ages into the Modern Age with this tactic. The Great Library slingshot is not a valid tactic in my SG's. You are allowed to capture the Great Library city as one of a number of cities to weaken the owner. But it can't be a campaign to capture this city alone, hold it for a turn and then abandon it.

Others:
Things that I didn't name but are in the spirit of what I mention above I would like to have discussed.

ROSTER (15 turns in peace time, 10 turns when at war):
Aggie
microbe
ThERat
Gyathaar
Greebley
LKendter

roster is full

24hrs to post a "got it" notice, and up to 48hrs after that to finish and post your turns. First player can do 25 turns, after that 15 turns per player, 10 turns per player in war times.

We will play a small map. Probably pangaea, but maybe archipelago when we choose to be the Vikings... After winning it on regent with the Zulu, on monarch with the Arabs and on emperor with the Germans I think that a lot of civs are good choices for demigod. I really loved the Germans and can see us playing the Ottomans as well. I think a later UU (early/mid industrial) is best, but we barely made it to panzers in the emperor game. Vikings would also be interesting. I'm also open to other choices. Let's discuss!

Barbarians: No barbarians/sedentary
I am very much glad to see that. After dealing with 5CCC games and barbs, I could never go back.

I may regret it, but I don't think a 1CC will that much time. If I find new work I may be in trouble keeping all my games going...

One major request is a COASTAL city. The bonus on colussus (sp?) is just so important. My playing in Epic 47 proved that.

I'll also jump in this one if room is still available.

NP: Good luck this should be difficult. I think I'll shadow it as it should be relatively fast to play.

I'd be game.

Mmmmhwell, I replied because I saw you back and wanted to play with you, using your ruleset. :) The problem is I post more in a better forum, that's my mistake. :p No biggie. If you don't play in the other team, just forget it, my motivation was a sudden one-timer thingie while at work. ;)

Industrious would be nice (due to lack of workers), and either Seafaring or Agriculture as second trait.

That makes either Carthage or Maya. Also, Netherlands would be the 3rd choice.

This is just considering the traits. I've played many times Carthage, and currently playing Maya as well, plus Aggie would like Netherlands..so either one of the 3 would be OK for me.

microbe said:
Industrious would be nice (due to lack of workers), and either Seafaring or Agriculture as second trait.

What would be so good about agri for an OCC? I understand seafaring, because you get more commerce in your city. I'm a big fan of the Scientific Trait and I think that the free techs will still be a big help for us on demigod.

So without looking at the UU's that would mean:
-Byzantines
-Ottomans
-Persia

Ottomans have a super UU and Persia is not too bad, but an early war may not be our thing.

I'm not thinking about a possible cultural victory at the moment. The gold medal is for conquest or space, which don't have to rule each other out regarding the way we have to play it. And UN remains a last resort in all situations.

EDIT: I added a few rules to the variant in the first post. They explain what is allowed regarding cities in this OCC. Basically it means: we are allowed to capture cities and abandon them at the end of the turn and we are also allowed to demand cities for peace as long as we abandon them -again- at the end of the turn at the latest. This will allow us to create one or two armies. I will also increase unhapiness in our city. So it's not all good.

Scientific with the free techs is a nice trait for OOC, specially if we aim for the Space ship win, it also allows us to start collossus early.

Both germans and ottomans have great UU for conquest, and the science trait will allow easier fallback to space or diplomacy victory.

Agricultural IMO dont help much in OCC except allows us to grow to size 12 faster plus allows us to put out workers slightly faster.

Industrial will give us extra shield(s) from our capital most of the game, and workers can build roads to needed colonies faster.

Commercial gives us extra gold, the corruption gain is lost, but allows us to start with curraghs and alphabeth

Seafaring also gives extra gold, faster boats and start with alphabeth.. if we play on archipelagio then seafaring is very helpful...

Mil gives us more elite units.. however we will have limited use for leaders.

Expansionist is ok if on a pangea or continents.. popping huts can give us several techs plus settlers to join into our city.. early contacts is nice too.

Germans and Ottomans are both fine with me..
Vikings or possibly Bysantines (if we go for primary space/diplomacy)

Another civ to perhaps consider might be India, since their UU require no resources and have an extra hp, or japan for 4.4.2 unit that require just iron. On the other hand both these are religious, which isnt that useful when we have short anarchy anyway due to only 1 city.

Ofcourse.. if we want to raise our odds of winning, we should take a coastal start with many river tiles and ivory :p

Every player in this game has played in the LK series. :crazyeye:
I guess that is what happens when you run 90+ SGs.

Commercial would we weak. Its main advantage is to lower corruption for a large empire. Since we have one city we only gain little extra cash.

Expansionist is very hard to say if the landmass type is random. Unless we agree to Pangaea I would say no to this trait.

Agricultural would let us grow a little faster. However, as a 1CC I don't think a non-river start is viable. If we have a river, we lost the cheap aqueduct.

Industrious means we can probably use less workers saving GPT, and an extra shield. I wouldn't mind this trait.

Scientific is always a good trait. We need to build library and university, and 1/2 price doesn't hurt. 3 free techs really help in the tech race.

Religious would also help. Getting luxuries will be hard, so cheap temples and churches don't hurt. If we go conquest, the ability to revolt to Monarchy to avoid WW is a big plus.

Seafaring for a little gold helps. The extra movement will speed contacts depending if we one a heavy island map.

Military is hard to say. If we go UN or space this is a wasted trait.

Without knowing the map type of Continents, Pangaea or Archipelago I can't make a clear choice.

Regardless of traits Sumeria still tempts me, just so I don't have to fact them.

Gyathaar said:
Both Germans and Ottomans have great UU for conquest
I agree 100% with this. My first 5CCC win was with Panzers. That extra movement point is awesome.

Top Bottom