1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AG13 - OCC Demigod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Aggie, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

Don't forget France. Superior starting techs, fast Workers, and especially a surprisingly strong UU in C3C.

2. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

my vote goes to Ottoman. their UU is really powerful. have to fave them in so many games and they can be a real pain there

3. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

Welcome back Aggie :D

I will vote for the Ottomans. I would be satisfied with most choices listed so far though.

4. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Thabks Greebley. My civ burn-out has gone and so have my reasons for not playing the game. We know that this game is flawed, but we can work around that. For example by trying to win VERY difficult games :)

Anyway, I count the following preferences:
    - Ottomans 3x (Aggie, Greebley, THeRat)
    - Germans/Ottomans 1x (Ghyathaar)
    - Netherlands/Maya/Carthage (microbe)

LKendter is undecided, but also mentions the Ottomans. Be assured: this will be a pangaea map. I only thought about archi with the Vikings.

This means that the Ottomans are the favorites. So I will start up a game with them!

5. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

What about this start? I overestimated the time I have today. So I will only be able to play tomorrow.

EDIT: And I have cold feet. I haven't played this game for a couple of months and am in doubt how to start. I was thinking: go north with the worker (on the game tile) and then start to chop. However, chopping for what? Barracks? I think that we need a couple of warriors first to scout, then granary and maybe temple and then go for the Colossus. Regarding science I'm thinking Iron Working, to gamble that we have it before others as it isn't a starting tech. Philo run doesn't seem possible with our techs. Lit run looks to be more logical.

Attached Files:

6. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

Growth will be good once the game is irrigated and some forest cleared. However, I don't see a SINGLE grassland. Initial growth will really be bad.

7. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

We start with BW and Masonry? Only thing we have available to chop then is Barracks, spearmen and warriors..
    The game tile is 2 food 2 shield 1 gold from the start.. the whale tile gives 2 food and 1 shield.. so we can delay chopping for up to 30 turns, but at that time we should be build collossus.. so the shields would be wasted

We do want some scouts out early.. how about chopping either the game or the silk tile first to complete a spearman in 4 turns?

8. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

lurker's comment: Do you really want to settle on spot? Sure, the Whale is nice, but a city there would have too many water tiles for my taste (9).
    I'd send the Worker to the game first, and unless something really ugly shows up, move the Settler 1 NW. You'll loose the Whale, but gain 5 more land tiles...

If a Grassland tile shows up there, what about that sequence:
    Settler 1 NW, Worker to game. Found city, Wealth for 2 turns. Chop in 3 to complete scouting Warrior. Then growth to size 2 with completing a 2nd Worker.

9. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I will try a few other rolls then...

10. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I'm out of time (back in 24 h), so if anyone else will try to generate us a beauty of a start... I think we can be lenient towards ourselves here. We need a killer start. Or at least a very good one...

11. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

Aggie, do you want me to generate some starts?

12. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

That's OK. I was just checking in from another place. But since it's late I will not stay up much longer...

13. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

ok, I generated some starts. they are all coastal or we start in the vincinity of it. all with the settings we wished to have.

any comments?

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Hmm..none look really good.

15. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I think all those starts are fine, but I don't think they are a lot better than my first proposal.

I have done a few rolls myself this morning and came to this one. I think it's the best one that I roled:

The start:

I move the worker to the BG-tile:

And the settler on the commerce of the silks:

Two BG's, a cow, 2 silks, 2 hills, more grassland and chop options, the river, only 2 sea tiles. Big risk of being blockaded and losing our rep when trading via the sea?

Shall we vote for one of the 5 proposals or do we want to try again? I myself want to choose from one of these 5. We can't get a LOT better I think...

16. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Yeah, your start is better.

17. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I agree with Aggie, let's choose one of those 5. what do we expect? 2 wheats and 3 cows with 1 coastal tile?
    I want to add to the discussion option #3 once settler moves to coast

18. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

and to add to. my choice is either Aggie's #2 or the above mentioned #3.

19. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I would go for my start. The silks are killer luxuries with a lot of extra commerce. Wouldn't it be nice to have Colossus with this start?

20. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

ok, so who is a going to start this? you?