AG15 - I dream of Dromons again - deity variant

Being sick, plus lots og work pileing up has delayed most of my civ3 playing lately, but looking at this now, and I notice the rules says nothing about ship chaining as being banned. I assume you dont like this, but it would solve our biggest problem untill we can capture lighthouse...
How soon is ASAP for capturing lighthouse? Can we take out celts first for their iron(s)?

I deliberately haven't mentioned ship chaining in my rules. I don't see them as an exploit, because you have to set up this chain, which requires quite a lot of ships and you don't get anything for free.

If we don't capture the lighthouse soon, we won't be able to win before the IA imho. But one city to grab iron before that isn't an issue.

With shipchaining we can send 2-3 empty dromons first out on suicide.. then next turn we see how many survive, then send same amount of loaded dromons, move those units to the boats that survived, and then land those safely.. in other words will loose same amount of dromons as if we send them over normally, but we will loose no units.

We have a growing supply of Dromons. What we lack is offensive troops.

If my memory is correct, there is an iron source near the border between the Celts and the Arabs where they were fighting. Taking the town here would also deny the Iron to the Arabs.

550BC, turn 0:
Decide to switch Trebizond to library.. it doesnt need temple for anything else than cultre.. and library is better for that. Rush it.
Switch Smyrra and Adripole to library too.

We are up in techs to everyone, and there is still one unmet civ.

All the ais seem to be stuck on smaller islands than we started on, and cant go very far untill astronomy.

Looking around I spot an iron on the island NW of Celtic island, so we dont need to take iron from the celts.

Switch around a few tile to grow faster.

IBT:
Constantinople: dromon -> dromon
Caesarea: dromon -> dromon
Nicaea: rax -> horse
Trebizond: Library -> harbor
Sardica: harbor -> dromon

530BC, turn 1:
Fully healed dromon attacks celt galley, and dies after doing just 1 damage, and the calley promotes (I think I saw celts load a settler into it IBT)

The 3 dromons at Persia bombards 2 persian galleys that sailed up.

IBT:
The hurt persian galleys sail away

Adrianople: Library -> spear
Varna: Settler -> library

510BC, turn 2:
4/4 dromon kills 4/4 celt galley, promotes to 4/5
Make a scientist in Constantinople since it grew to size 10, it still makes 16spt
rush harbor in Trebizond so it can grow

IBT:
Celts bombard dromon with a cath.

Persian galley comes into view from the east.. forgot they can cross that way with lighthouse

Adrianople: spear -> spear
Trebozond: Harbor -> dromon

490BC, turn 3:
America will talk peace
redline celt dromon, and kill it with 3/4 domon.. promotes to 4/5
load settler and a worker into dromons and send towards the iron.

disconnect Persian iron

move the new spear into Constantinople and can fire the scientist.

IBT:
Chalcedon: Harbor -> dromon
Adriople: spear -> spear

470BC, turn 4:
Bombard and sink elite Celt galley

Fully healed dromon sinks without even hurting yellowlines persian galley :(

Curragh meets zulus after spending 4 turns in ocean. They are many techs behind us.

I sell them philosophy for 141 gold

IBT:
Another Persian galley sails into view
COnstantinople: dromon -> dromon
Adrianople: spear -> spear
Smyrna: library -> dromon
Heraclea: settler -> settler

America complete HG

450BC, turn 5:
lower sci to 50%, currency in 2 turns

dromon kills the newly arrived persian galley

IBT:
3 more persian galleys sail into view :(

Adriople: spear -> archer
Caesarea: dromon-> dromon
Nicaea: horse -> horse

loose a suicide curragh

430BC, turn 6:

unload settler by iron, worker will get onto iron next turn

make peace with Celts for 40gold since iron is secure already, and then we can consentrate on persians

lower sci to 40%

bombard 2 of the 3 newly arrived persion galleys

IBT:
The first persian galley that slipped by, unloads a horse and an immortal
The 2 pinged galleys turn around

We enter MA, since Persia is the only other scientific civ, gifting them into MA for their free tech is not an option. We get monotheism
Start research on Feudalism

Adrianople: archer -> archer
Nicaea: horse -> horse
Sardica: dromon -> dromon

410BC, turn 7:
No dromons can reach the 2 units that was drop off to bombard them.. 3 dropns are all one move too far away :(

Found Naissus by the iron -> harbor

I have 2 horses that can attack the 2 landed units.. cross fingers
first horse dies to immortal, drops the immortal to 3/4
2nd horse loose 1 hp, but kills the immortal
I realize the 4/4 warrior in Sardica can attack too..
4/4 warrior flawlessly kills 4/4 horse

kill a persian galley with bombarding, and it suddenly strikes me I had totally forgotten dromons has lethal sea bombard :(

hire scientist in Nicaea

IBT:
Adrioanopl: archer -> Market

390BC, turn 8:

sink persian galley by bombarding

IBT:

370BC, turn 9:

sink persian galley by bombard

IBT:
Chalcedon: dromon -> dromon
Caesarea: dromon -> dromon
Smyrna: dromon -> dromon

350BC, turn 10:

There is a settler on west end of island.. can either found where it is, or move one north to settle on a tundra tile instead

It appears I more or less wiped out the Persian navy, havent seen any of their boats lately.

Would have lost no dromons had I remembered they had lethal bombard instead of attacking with them :(

We will have iron connected in 7 turns.. so may want to build some warriors for upgrading

The Save

Sure is a good thing that I managed to finish off AG16, or your SG load would be unmanageable.

If I can take it before Saturday, would you like me to?

Yes, certainly. I did not mean to give the impression that there was any certainty in it. I simply meant to ask whether or not I could take it before you if I had extra time. I did not, so I did not pick it up. Sorry for the confusion.

I indeed was confused, but this is probably due to my state of mind at the moment. I had the time Saturday but didn't know whether you would take it or not and took the time zones into consideration... But forgot to ask!!

But no problem, I 'got it' and will play today.

I am in GMT-8. Don't tell anyone though, because I am awful secretive here. Amsterdam is +1, correct?

I am in GMT-8
hey bedhead, you're in Australasia? that's interesting

edit: oh no, i messed up + and -, ok you;re at the other end of the world then

Nope I am in boring old western Canada/western US/Baja California/assorted islands in the Pacific off the coast of South America/any other area in the time zone I may be forgetting. Of course, you know from bed_04 that I cannot speak Spanish, which sort of eliminates some of the listed options.

bed_head7: It would be very nice if you could take it...

I'm sorry people. I'm definately having to deal with more than I can handle at the moment. I have almost no time left to play and right now that precious time is being swallowed by my work.

Top Bottom