Age of Ascension

I was looking at some of your .fxsxml files, and some things looked strange to me. This is your colonypod.fxsxml, for instance:

Code:
<Asset>
	<Mesh file="colonypod.gr2" source="Tool" />
</Asset>

It has no reference to textures or animations.

It has no reference to textures or animations.

None of the new units had animations in the version you downloaded. My first pass was just to get SOMETHING unique in there for as many units as possible, and to try debugging the DX10/11 issue, so I wasn't going to waste time converting animations if there was a good chance I'd have to do the whole process over again.

Adding animations was something I was going to get to eventually, once the high-priority stuff was resolved. Since it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon, there's no timetable for getting the animations done.

None of the new units had animations in the version you downloaded. My first pass was just to get SOMETHING unique in there for as many units as possible, and to try debugging the DX10/11 issue, so I wasn't going to waste time converting animations if there was a good chance I'd have to do the whole process over again.

Adding animations was something I was going to get to eventually, once the high-priority stuff was resolved. Since it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon, there's no timetable for getting the animations done.

I agree, but I specifically found it strange that there was no references to textures in the .fxsxml, and I imagined that that could be the reason why the units weren't showing up in DX10/11, so I tried adding that reference for the Colony Pod, but it made no difference - the unit still didn't show up on DX10/11. I wonder, by the way, whether it makes any difference to include references to textures or not in the .fxsxml files, since the .gr2 models themselves already specify the textures that they will use.

I wonder, by the way, whether it makes any difference to include references to textures or not in the .fxsxml files, since the .gr2 models themselves already specify the textures that they will use.

Units that have multiple textures (like battleships, with a "damaged" state graphic) need explicit lists in the FXSXML, and the GR2 may or may not have a texture linked at all, but ones with only one texture worked just fine with only the GR2 declaration, at least in DX9. And yes, I'd considered the possibility that the lack of animations/texture declarations/etc. may have been what was causing the DX10 issue in the first place, but the process was failing even for those test units that, to me, were direct copies of an existing unit. Something was flawed, either in my GIMP/Blender pipeline, or in the original models/textures themselves. I was still in the process of tracking this down when 674 came out.

Basically, though, my top priority was to get something playable, and then work on making it pretty only when I was sure the underlying mod was solid. That's why I didn't have any custom models at all for so long; having custom graphics makes the mod look better, and makes it easier for the player to keep track, but I'd been doing pretty well in my own games with just the placeholder graphics. This is also why I'd put the graphical work on hold while I switched over to the Mythology content; it wasn't that I'd given up on the Ascension mod, it was just that I wanted three functional mods, and THEN I'd go back to custom graphics.

And this is why the mod's on hold for now. With the current tools, I can't make a mod that I'd personally consider playable, although I've figured out enough workarounds to get fairly close. So until we get the tools needed for my mods to work again (which probably means the full DLL), I'm not releasing anything for public consumption.

Can I download any of your mods? I do not have Gods and Kings yet. And on a more broad note about civfanatics how do I send a personal message to someone?

Can I download any of your mods? I do not have Gods and Kings yet.

No. It doesn't matter whether you have G&K; the pre-expansion patch (674) is what broke the mods. I'm not going to be posting any files until the mod actually works again, and at this point it looks like that won't happen until we get the DLL (which might be several months away), barring any miracles in the near term.

And on a more broad note about civfanatics how do I send a personal message to someone?

Click on their name next to one of their posts. This'll bring up a list of possible actions; the second option will be "Send a private message to (name)", unless that person has set their preferences to block private messages (which it looks like you have).

Top Bottom