Age Of Empires II

if we're talking about the same things, than you should mentioned that there are five difficulties that can be set up in single player games. (don't know anything about multiplayer)

Bifrost- Well, I enjoy playing any nation here, It's a pity there's no Slavic nations here...:(
I agree, and LordAzreal, with some excellent debating, has showed me the Goths are a pretty dangerous civ.

A Polish, Lithuanian or Hungarian nation would be nice. But there may be a modpack out there, I currently have one that replaces the Mayans and Aztec(tc expansion) with the Romans and Greeks, in a Mediterranean class, Its fun to:D, it uses the units and graphics from AoE I. If I come across a Slavic modpack, I’ll let you know. For your Plight with the Persians, this may be of some help. By the looks of it, you should steer clear of the Saracens when playing as the Persians. Mamelukes weakness are archers, (its says Persians have less than average archers) and War Elephants weakness are Mamelukes, the Saracens civ sounds anti-Persian. And yes, my game has 5 difficult levels too;).

yeah.. hussar should have been a Pole UU instead of just an upgrade to Light Cav.. it's not much of an upgrade either anyway..

couldn't Persians use Hand cannoneers against Saracens?
HC's can kill Mames and Camels and short-range Cav archers. Elite skirms for upgraded cav archers..

Originally posted by Portuguese
Byzanitnes rule!!!
Since I heard (and I think it is true...) that Cataphrats now (TC exp...) don't suffer more from pikes, camels or other cavalry counter-units than any other unit! :eek:
They are monsters in battle, killing camels and mamelukes like cheese :D
You've heard wrong. They do suffer.

I have played the Goths against the Byzantines and normally kills them in castle age. Sometimes even during feudal age. Catapracts are weak against archers and the are expensive.

They also lack blast furnace, making their attack 2 less than most other nations. When I do draw them, I normally go for archer rushes.

The Saracens are one of the strongest Civ's if you use them correctly!

The Saracens are one of the strongest Civ's if you use them correctly!

:lol: if you use your forces and resources correctly, each nation is one of the strongest...
Or perhaps you can name some nations that are really weak?

The thing that makes me admire AoE is that all the nations are equal despite all those bonuses and different exclusive units.

Originally posted by Bifrost

:lol: if you use your forces and resources correctly, each nation is one of the strongest...
Or perhaps you can name some nations that are really weak?

The thing that makes me admire AoE is that all the nations are equal despite all those bonuses and different exclusive units.

You are right when saying that they are well balanced, but have you ever seen any one selecting the Koreans in a multiplayer game? Or the Teutons, now that their town centre bonus has been chopped?

I play all my games random multiplayer and just hate getting the Koreans, Teutons, Turks and Persians. Even the Huns is a tough battle.

When getting those nations you really have to play well. When getting the Byzantines, the line normally drops :)

Probably just my playng style...

Since we've started a talk about indians, I'd like to use the moment to complain about my indian-problems...
Every time I'm trying to play against aztecs, they turn into the most active and powerful enemy - they are always the first to enter the 3rd age, then they produce their crazy warriors and atack me with ~20 jaguars and ~5 priests every ten minutes, perhaps, it's not a problem, but if you're playing against 5 civs on hard.... Well, I don't even manage to built my walls up to the end - they are so fast!!!
Have you ever faced such problem?
Btw, prtuguese, how's your ukrainian campaign?

i only use mayans to flush.. i think they've got the strongest arrow-flush (archer range + towers)

Bifrost,
use scorpions. they kill the aztecs. just have some other guys who can kill the aztec onagers and scorpions will take care of rest of aztec army
and hmm.. there are many civs who are faster than aztecs..

To kill Aztecs, just use Turks or Mongols (these are better) with Hussar and some ranged fire power? That priests will fall veryyyy quick :D

Bifrost, as I said before somewhere, I'm at the university where I only have Internet service and 50 MB of space in disk :(
As my portable has melted (due to an over-charge), I can only play at my hometown, after the exams period have passed.
So, I'll start that campaign ASAP, what is in February :(
I'll report that in the other thread then.
BTW, have you tried different nations start option? Quite confusing isn't it? :)

Originally posted by Portuguese
Or not...

BTW, anyone here like Mayans. Their huge bonus in economy don't find anything usefull to be spent on!!! They hage huge amount of resources: So what?
They have no strong options to fight a castle/imperial/late imperial war!!!
What's their use?

I do like the Mayans. Only thing you do need to flush and win the game in castle age. Difference is that I lay most of my games 1:1 multiplayer.

Against the computer you win most of your games in imperial age. Then they become more difficult to play. Nothing wrong with twohanded swordsmen combined with many many cheap achers! JW great for taking out siege and monks. Ikeep them for that and only that.

Early attacks with JW can also kill you opponents economy.

The Aztecs are OK, but they suck against archer siege combinations. Their relic bonus can win you long pikemen/scirm wars, but their economy is nothing special apart from the vill +5 carry bonus. I find that when playing against the computer, they always manage to get those relics and than you wil see monks! Luckily the computer seldom researh monastry techs....

i think you mean EW.. JW is aztec UU, EW is Aztec + Mayan replacement for scouts

Originally posted by KoRnEa
i think you mean EW.. JW is aztec UU, EW is Aztec + Mayan replacement for scouts

Did I say JW, stupid me, meant EW.

before i officially lay down the law on what is the best things to do in this game, let me tell u guys that i'm not just talking out of nowhere here. i've logged hundreds of aoeII multiplayer games, at a high level. i play a stupid amount of time on this game. at my peak i played it 5 hours a day. i have played every map many times. i have played every civilization many times. i am friends with some very very very good players and we talk about this junk for hours. I am a member of the #20 highest ranking aoeII clan out of hundreds and hundreds. ok now here is what the deal is on this game

first rule: economy. economy rules all. i dont want to sound like a braggart. but i can easily win on economy alone no matter what unit i make. what good does knowing that paladins kill archers matter if i can come with 100 fully upgraded arbalists before you get to imperial age?

2nd rule: rushers always win. ever wonder why most rookies games say "no rush". it's because rushers always win and rookies dont like that idea. on any, and i mean ANY map except for black forest. a feudel attack is the best option, although an early castle attack is great too. on a water map the best strategy is gally rush. if anyone wants to learn a gally rush zone message me TsC_BlitzenDoG, or pm me on CFC. on non water map that is open like arabia, skirmishers and spearmen in the feudel age is the best strategy again, i will be happy to teach anyone how to do this. just PM me or ZM me. in a more non open map like baltic or such, go with a castle age attack of knights.

rule 3: there is no best civ. not by a long shot. unless u are extremely good.

please please please PM me or ZM me if u want to know how to execute great strategies that will most often produce a win. there are too many strategic errors in all these other posts to list. but i wasn't able to look at this topic for a long time hence my late reply heh. dont worry about units guys worry about economy

portugese: mayans are a very very strong civ. plumed archers are by most people's opinion the best archers in the game. mayans cheap archery range units mean they have a better feudel age attack, and feudel age attack with skirmishers is the best rush strategy and the best overall strategy in the game. mayans starting with +1 vilager might not seem like much to the naked eye. but this is one of the best civilization bonus's in the game because speed is everything. in imp however, plumed archers and elite eagle warriors and champs are a devestating combo and the mayans are considered by many top players to be one of, if not the best civ

Originally posted by thefrenchzulu

You are right when saying that they are well balanced, but have you ever seen any one selecting the Koreans in a multiplayer game? Or the Teutons, now that their town centre bonus has been chopped?

I chose to be the Koreans in my last game :) They are not that bad and they have pikemen and cavaliers so they can be useful in early Imperial although in the late game they don't have too many strengths and War wagons are only useful when used with, generally, cavalry.

My background ( :cry: It's completelly under yours!!!):
I've played all Civs in most maps, special highland. I played many many single games, but only half a dozen multy in a LAN conection with some friends, who have more or less the same level as I do. My biggest problem is the speed: I click the mouse quickly, but very very far from top portuguese players, who were eliminated from World Series for being too slow...

Now, me and my friends usually rush comp opponents, but we only actually fight in imp. Mayans seem to be to weak, as they cannot use their excellent economy in top units, like say french, huns, sarracens, mongols or byz!!!
Paladins, Tarkans, Mamelukes, Mangudais, Hussar and Cataphrat made this much better options in imp...

PS: Can you confirm me if Cataphrat has no pike/camel loss after TCexp?

Estrategy: Could you post or PM me the optimal strategy in Dark to achieve Feudal in 10 min?

Thx :D

Portugese: yea the cataphract is in my opinion the most kick ass unique unit. and according to a strategy article about the byzantines, camels still don't get thier attack bonus vs. them. as for you 10 minute feudel, that varies immensly on what your goal is. do you want to attack in feudel? or do you want to setup for a strong castle attack? or are you booming for imperial? if u could let me know then i'd be happy to provide a good build order.

and for all those who play the computer, the secret to killing the computer in oh 'bout 9 minutes.......... TOWERS! try getting to the feudel age, putting 3 villagers on stone, and having 4 villagers march over to your computer opponent........ now build a tower that is barely within reach of some of thier villagers, as SOON as you finish the tower, build one stone wall segment on each side of the tower... the computer opponent, seeing the tower as an imminent threat will send ALL of it's villagers to attack the tower, after his vilalgers sit there and die for a few minutes, they usually resign, or if they dont, they are terribly crippled heh... using this strategy it's not difficult to beat 4-5 computers on moderate difficulty

Top Bottom