Ai adjustments

gimmeadog

Chieftain
Im looking for some help setting up the AI to be much more agressive- both to the player AND other AI. I am working on a scenario but I almost never see the AI attach other AI teams. I know that prior to most of the available land being settled there is minimal chance of the AI declaring war, but how might i set it up so there is a constant state of war amung a majority of teams, with the human player not being targeted too significantly more than computer teams?

It would also be nine to know how to make the AI more likely to use nuclear weapons, but its not as crucial.

For the first one, you can give the AI some powerfully offensive, but immobile, units, so they think they're stronger than they actually are. Just make sure to make them able to transport other units, so they can't load onto transports... (This is because otherwise it will lag up the game, as the silly AI will be trying to load the immobile units onto transports)

For the first one, you can give the AI some powerfully offensive, but immobile, units, so they think they're stronger than they actually are.

Really??

-As for war, don't forget that you can force Civs (and coalitions of Civs) to stay at war the entire game.

You might also use several of the fine trade goods units we have (have them auto-produced) and see if their being transported around the map ("targets of opportunity") helps some.

You can also try inceasing he Civ's Aggression level (NB: it sems to me that levels 1&2 and 4&5 are identical).

Lastly (although I'm not sure about this one) set up VLs in places which are likely to be contested.

Best,

Oz

As far as I can tell, yeah, because the more powerful the AI sees itself as being, the more likely it is to be aggressive.

As far as I can tell, yeah, because the more powerful the AI sees itself as being, the more likely it is to be aggressive.
Yes, I believe this is how RFRE triggers the barbarian invasions of Rome.

Another option is to set the AI agression at max on the player setup screen, if you haven't already done that.

the powerful unit is clever- if all other AI teams got them would that increase agression againt fellow AIs or only against the player?

ive also noticed it seems like agression levels are mostly for how they treat the human player- just me?

@Pounder - You'e welcome :)

As an aside, while digging around for this, I found THIS INTRIGUING THREAD AT APOLYTON which, albeit from 2002, reveals the presets for the AI builds, which - even if someone isn't a modder - bears looking at.

Best,

Oz

So old, still an interesting link. Thank you Oz. :)

@Oz ooo! thats cool-thx

what about ai using nukes? i almost never see them nuke first, and ide like to reduce the way the ai is horrified by nuke use.

@Oz ooo! thats cool-thx

what about ai using nukes? i almost never see them nuke first, and ide like to reduce the way the ai is horrified by nuke use.

They always nuke first in my games, then everyone is at war as they all declare war on the first to use nukes.

If I'm not the one getting nuked, I sit back and save my nukes until I hear it quiet down, then I move in on the largest Civ with my nukes.

Maybe try playing at a higher level, above regent they use them for sure.

Just make sure to make them able to transport other units, so they can't load onto transports... (This is because otherwise it will lag up the game, as the silly AI will be trying to load the immobile units onto transports)

Would the AI not load units into these, more powerful ones?

That link is indeed interesting OZ. Am I correct in remembering that 4 "build often" flags is the most the AI seem to able to handle?

That link is indeed interesting OZ. Am I correct in remembering that 4 "build often" flags is the most the AI seem to able to handle?

I try to keep it to three (this based on intuition from gameplay, not metrics) although, interestingly, complexity theory shows that you get the biggest bang for the buck (i.e., the highest ratio of results:variables) from 4.

Best,

Oz

Interesting...

edit: double-post

I guess I'll go ahead and ask, in the thread from so long ago Soren suggests not using the "build-never" flags, are they still to be avoided?

Top Bottom