AI build priorities

garfunkel

Chieftain

It's good that the AI is heavily defending their capital but instead of building 43 trained dogs and 121 wardogs, they probably should have built more actual units.

It is still almost impossible to capture the city, because the defences wreck my units in 1-2 turns, meaning that since I can only kill about 8 units per turn, I have to retreat after killing less than twenty defenders, in order to heal up, during which time the AI builds more of course, though I guess eventually I might be able to grind them down.

And I can't really send in loads more units because I'm at war with 14 AI's at this point with 6 being my friends or at least sufficiently neutral that they haven't been bribed to declare war upon me. Which reminds me of another issue - if an AI nation agrees to a peace with me, another AI will bribe them back to the war in two-three turns. It's like the normal truce period doesn't exist at all.

I guess you have "Ruthless AI" ON or something along that line, which makes them crazily hostile beyond normal expectations.
And/or you're playing at the hardest difficulty, which also contributed to that.
On the other hand, this is pretty "accurate" to how an enemy would really play - when you're at war with someone, you do try to make it as hard on them as possible.
Which definitely includes bribing potentially allies into the skirmish, lol.
And as of the dog issue - well, yeah, there's way too many of them, but there are other units as well, which might be a result of "not knowing what to build and thus resorting to a random choice".
A bigger logical error is that AI keeps those dogs in the city to begin with - they're scouts and border patrols, not city defenders, loool.

I'm on dynamic difficulty so I don't know what level I'm now but I started at Prince level - I doubt it has gone up to Nightmare though I guess it's possible. But no, I don't have the Aggressive AI on as my experience in the past is that it just makes the suicidally dumb.

If the AI used those two hundred dogs to attack, it would probably wipe out my armies but they are sitting in the capital like a tick. One or two dogs get sent out to be butchered every now and then. In fact, the AI passivity and timidity is what makes it possible to have 14 wars going at the same time on four fronts, because only very, very, very rarely is the AI sending armies my way. Usually just a one or two units. So I can easily produce enough troops to keep others in check while also building buildings and keeping my main army going forward. Well, once they crack this city.

Top Bottom