[NFP] AI can't handle loyalty?

saamohod

Deity
New to Civ6, but already started noticing things that are apparently broken.
AI likes to forward settle right at the doorstep of other civs. It seems it doesn't perform loyalty check, because the new city gets immediate loyalty hit and rebels a few turns later.
Played several games so far and noticed it in each of the games.
Is it usual AI behaviour? Any way to remedy it? It's pretty broken imho. AI just gifted me a city next to my capital.

20221127152135_1.jpg

I think it's pretty normal, but it becomes nearly irrelevant when you play on very high difficulties, because then the AI has lots of cities and growth and usually more governors than you to compensate.
I do see it happening though between two AIs even on higher difficulties (because the other AI likewise has much more pressure on their borders so the single other AI city can not stand it).
So those swap to the other AI soon, not really a problem I guess.

So those swap to the other AI soon, not really a problem I guess.
An AI that's gifting a city to its rival due to incompetence is a big problem in my book. But what can we do here? Why would someone wanna fix such ridiculous things if people are still buying the game no matter what?

The whole AI is pretty much broken. Expect nothing from it, you're on your own in this game with a few speedbumps. Vanilla AI maybe could play the game in a manner, but after all the expansions AI no longer has a clue of what is going on. Especially in the NFP modes.

Is it usual AI behaviour? Any way to remedy it? It's pretty broken imho. AI just gifted me a city next to my capital.
I believe it is legacy vanilla AI behaviour: back then AI used to travel with their second settler across the entire continent just to put a city three tiles from your capital, in order to "create some conflict", I imagine. Loyalty improved the look of the territorial posessions, but AI still does like to plant forward settling cities, which they can even keep sometimes.

I believe it is legacy vanilla AI behaviour: back then AI used to travel with their second settler across the entire continent just to put a city three tiles from your capital, in order to "create some conflict", I imagine. Loyalty improved the look of the territorial posessions, but AI still does like to plant forward settling cities, which they can even keep sometimes.
Yep, that's what I figured. And I actually like this kind of mechanics. Now I'm searching for a mod to disable the loyalty. Otherwise I find it hard to keep playing this game which is so good in many other ways, except for AI. And AI is important.

AI likes to forward settle right at the doorstep of other civs. It seems it doesn't perform loyalty check, because the new city gets immediate loyalty hit and rebels a few turns later.
Played several games so far and noticed it in each of the games.

View attachment 646184

This used to happen to me, I complained about it a few times. Then I never saw it again, I assumed it had been fixed. I guess I just got lucky.

In my experience this happens when the AI needs Strategic Resources or Luxuries. Do not be surprised if there are Strategics like Iron near that city.

Edit: there's literally one iron right there :lol:

I've seen this pattern quite often. Sometimes the city placement seems to make no sense at all, but then I unlock the tech for Iron or Niter, and you can bet they're sitting on one. Yeah, it's bad.

Last edited:
In my experience this happens when the AI needs Strategic Resources or Luxuries.
It makes perfect sense ... in previous versions of the game, before the introduction of loyalty mechanic. Now it's just a disfunctional AI that hasn't been taught to take loyalty into account. But as I said before, in all likelihood this problem will never be fixed because people still buy the game no matter what and the game is most likely not being maintained anymore by Firaxis.

It makes perfect sense ... in previous versions of the game, before the introduction of loyalty mechanic. Now it's just a disfunctional AI that hasn't been taught to take loyalty into account. But as I said before, in all likelihood this problem will never be fixed because people still buy the game no matter what and the game is most likely not being maintained anymore by Firaxis.

You're right, but for what it's worth, I don't think this happens that often, or to a degree that's as jarring as this. Like I said, I didn't even know this was still a thing.

If this is still to be fixed, then it won't get fixed. It must have been there since the loyalty mechanic was introduced...

I'm hoping for a patch to fix many of the game's bugs, but I don't count this as the stuff that will be addressed... that is, if we get a patch at all.

Top Bottom