AI capitulation is getting out of control

gskyes

Warlord
In a recent game of mine, I was America (random start in Africa) on a standard size Earth map, king difficulty. I had all of Africa and most of Europe, and had expanded east to Mesopotamia. The Iroquois, who started in China and had settled/conquered most of what is Russia, were the most powerful AI and probably had a larger military than me. They declared war on me, and after I destroyed most of their invasion, I went on the offensive and took 3-4 cities. My civ was starting to get unhappy, so I thought I would see what he would offer for peace.

This is the aftermath...
Spoiler :

He basically offered me his entire nation, everything but his capitol. I took it and razed most of it, and liberated the city states. Every city in that screenshot being burned is from the peace treaty, plus Brussles, Seoul, and Tenochtitlan and a few others off the screen. Total count was 23 cities. :crazyeye: I would have just taken peace, because I was getting near -10 happiness anyway. But I just couldn't pass on the opportunity to completely cripple an opponent.

Happens quite often if it thinks it is losing.

Don't think its an issue if it really can't beat you.

Have to keep in mind AI runaways usually have 90% of their cities as puppets. So they can't really produce anything out of it to defend. *well there is a bug where they can rusbuy from puppets*

I think this is a more balanced approach to vassal states, which was a no cost conquest of an empire. At least this way, you have to deal with all your holdings and the unhappiness it generates.

Similar thing happened to me in my 120 AD scenario.

I had Rome's cities in northern france, all of the eastern empire, and Italy.
Finally i figured why not make peace? I ended up taking all but the city of
carthage from rome in the resulting peace treaty.

Happens quite often if it thinks it is losing.

Don't think its an issue if it really can't beat you.

Have to keep in mind AI runaways usually have 90% of their cities as puppets. So they can't really produce anything out of it to defend. *well there is a bug where they can rusbuy from puppets*

I think this is a more balanced approach to vassal states, which was a no cost conquest of an empire. At least this way, you have to deal with all your holdings and the unhappiness it generates.

Yes, defending this crap is very amusing too... Vassal feature replacement :lol:....

Please, i can understand some defensive positions about the game, but not that!
That is clearly a bad coding of diplomacy concerning the peace treaty...

Not really. When it comes to vassal states in Civ4, you had to beat them down significantly and take a few cities before they considered being your vassal. In Civ5, you just got to beat them at the border and they'll just lay down and die. At some point, it seems like it would be in the AI's favor to let the player fight a grueling war of attrition across the nation instead of giving away the entire country.

Not really. When it comes to vassal states in Civ4, you had to beat them down significantly and take a few cities before they considered being your vassal. In Civ5, you just got to beat them at the border and they'll just lay down and die. At some point, it seems like it would be in the AI's favor to let the player fight a grueling war of attrition across the nation instead of giving away the entire country.

In civ V, losing an enormous chunk of your military at the border often IS crippling to your war effort, if you don't have a large chunk of money stowed away going in. The AI is evaluating whether it's winning or losing fairly accurately much of the time... but it's vastly undervaluing its own cities. It's trying to appease you, but it values its own cities so low that it thinks it has to give you all of them to get you to back off (which is of course silly).

It IS a problem, but it should be a relatively easy fix.

More fun is then you trying to alternate peace treaty by removing some of his towns from the list.
"We cannot accept such deal" you get :)

Oh puh-leeze it's just faulty AI, it's quite obvious here :rolleyes:

Indians folding and giving all their land to Americans for a promise of goodwill and some baubles .. sounds historically correct to me :D

The AI/Diplomacy is being "overhauled" so it won't last long. They finally got it through their thick skulls that proper diplomacy is not optional even in a war focused game such as this.

Top Bottom