AI-Europeans discover America much to early

UniqueUsername

Chieftain
I just startet a game as the Incas in the 600AD scenario, and the English came allready in the 1430's, roughly 100 years before Pizarro did in reality. A single Caravel discovered America and made their army spawn and spread the plague in all my cities.

How are you supposed to do the UHV like that?

I just startet a game as the Incas in the 600AD scenario, and the English came allready in the 1430's, roughly 100 years before Pizarro did in reality. A single Caravel discovered America and made their army spawn and spread the plague in all my cities.

I don't see a problem with it, at least from a historical sense. The Portuguese were already exploring the coasts of Africa at this time, and astronomy was being used in navigation.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with it, at least from a historical sense. The Portuguese were already exploring the coasts of Africa at this time, and astronomy was being used in navigation.
Which UHV are you trying to complete?
He said the Incas in his post.

As for this:

I love this mod, but the answer an unfortunate amount of the time is: "Get lucky."

The Incas have to build 5 Tambos and a street in their territory along the Andean coast before 1500, what is just impossible with an European army spawning in the 1430's.

The Portuguese exploring Africa are not a valid argument. That's only coastal navigation, and in reality they did not surround Africa before 1488. And from surrounding Africa to reaching America is still a long way to go. As we know did Columbus discover Amercia by sailing in the other direction.

Europeans in America in the 1430's is just stupid, from a historical perspective* as well as from a gamer's view.

* I know that the Norse reached America much earlier, but that was as far away from the Incas as is it could be in America.

Last edited:
The Incas have to build 5 Tambos and a street in their territory along the Andean coast before 1500, what is just impossible with an European army spawning in the 1430's.

The Portuguese exploring Africa are not a valid argument. That's only coastal navigation, and in reality, they did not surround Africa before 1488. And from surrounding Africa to reaching America is still a long way to go. As we know did Columbus discover Amercia by sailing in the other direction?

Europeans in America in the 1430's is just stupid, from a historical perspective as well as from a gamer's view.

We can agree to disagree here but in the game, it's well known the pace of technology can be at a slightly different pace, and I think their lack of exploration was more based on fear than technological impairment. There are world maps prior to Vasco De Gama's voyage suggesting that Africa can/or had been circumnavigated, It is also fairly probable that the Portuguese were traveling into the Atlantic from 1450 onwards. Not to mention that the Norse had already arrived in North America.

For Gameplay replayability and because of the possibility for human history to differentiate in the mod I don't think any hard code should prevent Europeans from finding the area before, I am sorry I just don't see the logic behind it - artificially penalizing the Europeans/Arabs/Mongols (who sometimes do it) into not finding the Americas would make the game too predictable

By contrast, I have had cases where Europeans do not come around until the 17th century.

It's fine when there's variance, but the issue is that Europeans begin the reformation and discover the Americas like 50-100 years too early. Right now the game is still too predictable, just that the game is predictably too fast.

It's fine when there's variance, but the issue is that Europeans begin the reformation and discover the Americas like 50-100 years too early. Right now the game is still too predictable, just that the game is predictably too fast.

That would call for a rebalancing of modifiers across the board

But I also thought maybe the Precolumbian civs if they survive independence to 1700 should have some bonuses to reflect the modernization that would have occurred
For historical reference one Mayan city-state remained free until 1699

That would call for a rebalancing of modifiers across the board

Maybe instead of rebalancing all modifiers, there could be a rebalancing in the free army of conquerors. It should only spawn if they discover an american civ at a place that is considered as their (the europeans) historical territory, where that discovering european civ really wants to settle. That would prevent an english random caravel spawning conquerors all over the globe at foreign territory that is not even supposed to be conquered by them.

What do you mean "supposed"? Conquerors don't just exist for Spain.

I don't see any possibilities to win if conquerors arrive before 1500. Once you lose a city, you fail the UHV1 requirement. By the time you're busy building Tambos or Markets or waiting for Great Merchants. Only when UHV1 is finished, you have enough time to build a troop and strike back.
From my game experience, Arabia, Viking, France and Italy are those most likely to trigger conquerors (usually 1400s), followed by Spain, Portugal and England (usually 1500s). Generally it's only something of good or bad luck.

Top Bottom