AI puts much more effort into Emergencies now

Archon_Wing

Vote for me or die

Emergency Participants were me, Netherlands, China, and Scythia.

China put in a lot of ships despite being constantly at war with Greece; Scythia was also sending stuff but they were clearly kinda crappy and the Netherlands was too far away but since I was invading them, they had an excuse.

Emperor, but in practice it was harder given I started on a useless peninsula and a huge swath of desert separating me from the rest. I mean, I invaded 2 people and killed 2 CS's and still only have that few cities.

Problem is the devs did half the work. The AI pounces on almost all the emergencies and usually ends up "rectifying" them but.... it also fails to realise that half/all the world will pounce on it for capturing a city state... The AI has no concept of the extended consequences of picking fights with city states which in itself is a obvious game-breaking exploit especially in the early era's with low warmongering penalties. There was one city state which various AI's kept capturing after the first one broke its walls, each time an emergency, each time I joined... each time I took large chunks of cities as punishment/opportunism and together with the rest of the AI keeping the main enemy army busy and my annoyingly superior tactical ability crushed the opposing side's military capability. In each case the AI seemed mostly uninterested in capturing anything but the city state in question though the "aggressor" had no such qualms since he viewed it as just another war. The AI also fails to learn from it's mistakes and the one time I held myself back the one AI KEPT capturing and recapturing the same city state each time causing emergencies costly to itself....

The problem is that the AI only sees the military capability of the city state itself and fails to think beyond that.... basically by "fixing" emergencies the patch actually broke it at the same time. There is no way I could have conquered half the continent without majorly negative diplomatic warmongering penalties amongst the other AI's unless it was "global" wars where I had all the other neighbours keeping the bulk of the enemy army busy which in turn only served to weaken them before they brought an emergency upon THEMSELVES sometimes by conquering the very same city state that was JUST NOW liberated....

I think once in awhile I see some effort. Some AI build boats and use them on the coast like in your example. I had something similar in one game and in that game they never brought a unit to take the city just shot at it and later made peace so they did not really care about the emergency. In most inland emergencies AI makes vitally no effort I think and they fail even when it should work.

Since we are into rating. I give the AI -50 on this

hmmm now that I think about it I forgot I'm using the AI+ mod which makes em more aggressive once actual fighting starts... now I feel stupid...

Had a game this weekend where I had to liberate a CS on my own, was kindda nice to get the pay out just before Big Ben finished. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom