AI tech cheat?

ZippyRiver

Prince
I had something happen in my current game, which triggered me to keep an eye open for it. My tech trading partner is Catherine, and trades are done fairly consistently so I was able to keep an eye on her development (always looking for a good trade).

During an earlier turn, I noticed Catherine managed to obtain 2 techs in the same turn, on a turn that had one of the so&so completed their review messages pop up. The two techs she gained were not owned by any of the other AI. The only other AI that can compete is the romans, but they are lagging about 4-5 techs behind me and a few more than that behind Cat. I could not figure out how she got two techs on one turn. Obviously, one could come from research (there were not any free tech for 1st to discover involved) but the second one was a mystery.

Current turns: I have steam power, and cat has military trad and scientific method and corporation. Rome has mil trad & corporation but won't trade MT. I have a number of tech they do not have. I am also starting a golden age.

I traded rifiling to rome for corporation +change. This left Cat with two I didn't have and my steam power to work with. Not knowing what Cat was researching or how long my steam would be good for, I chose to wait one more turn before trading with cat for SciMeth so I could get a couple of monastaries taken care of.

Then the next review is done. being this is what I was waiting for i was anxious to pull up Catherine and see if my steam was still good. It wasn't. She had got that tech that turn. Normally, I would just call it my bad for waiting too long, but since I was looking for a specific thing, I reloaded the previous turn.

On reload, I went ahead and made the SciMeth trade with catherine and hit end turn. I get the same review box again, and at the start of the turn I open up diplo with cat and now she has obtained physics instead. WTF? The real stinger being physics gives you a free GP.

The only difference between the two reports, is when cat got steam, I was in first place on the review and when she got physics I landed in second.

It APPEARS that the AI get a free tech when these reviews are done.

If I trade a tech to the AI for a tech I am currently researching, any of the progress I made already on that tech is lost. So if Catherine was researching steam power and due to get it the next turn, whatever she had towards that would have been lost in the trade and not applied to her next tech choice, which may or may not be physics. Either way, there is no way it could have been obtained through "legal" methods. Or at least not that I can find nor figure out.

I have a slow computer. I tried to pull up the WB to see if I could get any clues there but to no avail. It took almost 10 min to get the game up and the WB open. Hopefully someone with a faster rig than this pos might have better luck, but I did not see anywhere in the WB options for this. No current progress on tech for AIs, could not figure out how to switch civs with the AI. I am fairly sure that is in there but I have ziltch experience in the WB. Going back and forth from the WB would take me all day to just look, let alone figure out anything.

I really hope there is another explaination for this, as this kind of AI cheat would be a game breaker for me. The game is noble level, so there should be a level playing field. I did not put this in the bug report thread for the simple reason that if this is the case, it would have to be intentional and not caused by some hosed line of code.

If I'm not mistaken you got to have Scientific Method before you can get Physics. I'm pretty sure "Physics" will not shown up under the Foreign Advisor nor trade screen until you got Sci Method. So it very possible Catherine already researched Physics long before but wouldn't show up until you got SM. There is a one turn delay so Catherine can't trade both Sm and Physics with you on the same turn.

I tested your game and found out Catherine already had Physics. Go to world builder and give your civ the Sci Method for free. You will now see you can trade Catherine for physics on the exact same turn. So it's not a bug or cheat.

Thanks Smidlee. Your way much easier than switching civs and hunting for some mis-directed GP or something.

I am happy to be wrong on this one for sure.

(hellava map eh?)

That said - is there a bonus for being 'most advanced Civ' etc. in the reviews?

I think I had something similar happen in a game I played where I got a free tech after a review... but not 100% sure...

I don't think there is, but it would be a nice addition (as long as it is available to any player, AI or otherwise). Not so much along the lines of a free tech, but a cash bonus. Like the Civ in first place gets 500 gold, second 300 gold, 3rd 100. Not enough to overpower the leader even more, but a nice "pat on the back" for doing good.

Is it possible that Cat had a couple of GP's sitting around, who she immediately used for researh boost?
Or, she had used one GP or more previously, nearly completing research of one of those techs, and then needed only one more turn to finish?

Techs that the AI has that you do not have the required Tech to obtain show up as a Can't Trade block on the Foreign Advisor screens.

anybody know why my game isn't working. It isn't my machine, I pass all recommended requirements. Game starts and goes to blue screen, until the earth screen comes up. then i see no text or anyway of starting the game. HHHHHHELP. Been trying for 3 days and never had this problem with anyother game. I am a big gamer and this is frustrating.

The AI does use GP's for research boosts.

gillflurt said:
anybody know why my game isn't working. It isn't my machine, I pass all recommended requirements. Game starts and goes to blue screen, until the earth screen comes up. then i see no text or anyway of starting the game. HHHHHHELP. Been trying for 3 days and never had this problem with anyother game. I am a big gamer and this is frustrating.
Have you updated your video drivers?

Top Bottom