AI units stuck inside my borders

Mr_PeaCH

Chieftain
I have searched but been unable to find a thread with an answer to this dilemma. Often it is the result of a third Civ having units inside the border of a city which I have just captured. Rather than being expelled the orphaned units stay rooted in place. In fact they tend to just become statues unless I start a war with said Civ. I cannot pass through them or improve the tiles they are upon.

This is extremely frustrating. Does anyone have a way to 'erase' the units and get them out of the game w/o warring?

If they're caught in an unclaimed hex that's surrounded by your borders (which I see happen all the time), all you can do is buy that hex. If they're stuck inside your borders and you didn't accidentally accept an Open Borders deal, then I guess it must be a bug.

Yes, it is a bug. Declare war on this AI and "remove" unit or open border for it.

The units that remain in your borders after an alliance is over can move away. They just do not want to and sometimes remain there till the end of the game or you declare war.

Last edited:
I am having this issue now with France. There are 5 units around one of my cities I captured from India. They never left. At this point I am re arranging my military to invade France while leaving some tank units to deal with these guys inside my borders.

Has been happening in multiplayer too. There's been times where my friends and myself have lost open borders, or made peace, and the units still inside the borders were trapped. With the only option when you try to move the unit being "declare war?".

Doing another open borders fixes the issue.

Top Bottom