Air Combat

truefrequencie

Chieftain
Can someone explain the mechanics behind air combat? Stuff like bombing cities and units is obvious, but how does anti-air/sam units work in regarding to attacking air units, on stealth bombers, dog-fighting, interceptions, and air sweeps? Thanks :confused:

And lastly, ways to maximize your air power?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Does Anti-Air protect a wide spacing of areas, or just it's own tile? How does Evasion work? Does it negate a % of the damage? If so, aren't Stealth Bombers a little overpowered?

if you attack and an interception unit is in range, the interception unit deals dmg to your fighter or bomber if it can attack. fighters / jet fighters have air sweep which will eat up an interception without the unit actually attacking anything (and it gains no experience).

stealth bombers have 100% evasion, so they don't take dmg from interceptions, and with all the AA units AI spams they should really be your target. they can't gain levels with the current state of bugs so it is nice to level up to a regular bomber so it has air repair and logistics before upgrading to a stealth bomber.

if you attack and an interception unit is in range, the interception unit deals dmg to your fighter or bomber if it can attack. fighters / jet fighters have air sweep which will eat up an interception without the unit actually attacking anything (and it gains no experience).

stealth bombers have 100% evasion, so they don't take dmg from interceptions, and with all the AA units AI spams they should really be your target. they can't gain levels with the current state of bugs so it is nice to level up to a regular bomber so it has air repair and logistics before upgrading to a stealth bomber.

Wait, you can upgrade them to S. Bombers? I tried in a previous game to no avail...

I'm kind of in the same boat. Does Anti-Air protect a wide spacing of areas, or just it's own tile? How does Evasion work? Does it negate a % of the damage? If so, aren't Stealth Bombers a little overpowered?

I'm not certain, but I think anti-air covers a 2 hex radius, and mobile SAMs cover a 3 hex radius. Definitely more than it's own tile, which would be nearly pointless. I'm not sure what happens if multiple AA units are in range.

I have found Stealth Bombers pretty powerful - sometimes they can destroy a full-strength unit in one shot - don't think I've ever seen one shot down, though they do take damage. I normally have mine heal once they get below 50% strength.

I have found Stealth Bombers pretty powerful - sometimes they can destroy a full-strength unit in one shot - don't think I've ever seen one shot down, though they do take damage. I normally have mine heal once they get below 50% strength.

they're 80 strength, which is the same as modern armor. air combat works the same with regards to strength as regular combat, even though the little combat odds box doesn't pop up. near worst case scenario is you try attacking a modern armor fortified on a friendly hill with oligarchy, the odds could end up 80 vs 220 and you lose the bomber.

The modern armor or tank is not use terrain defense. And I think units/cities use only a fraction of their strength to fight back the air units.

- If you give order Intercept, then the fighter will automatic intercept enemy's bombers, until you give other orders. Like AA, each fighter only fight back enemy's bomber once a turn.
- If you give order Air Sweep to a location. Then it probably force the enemy to intercepts your fighter. If you receipt no re-action, or kill all enemy fighters then the tile is safe for your bombers from AI fighters.

aa gun and mobile sam both have 2 aa range, everything else is same as normal ie fighters have 8 range, destroyers 2, missile cruisers 3

Yeah, my anecdotal evidence confirms it's just 2 tile range. Ways to maximise your air power that seem to work for me are to upgrade your bombers. Logistics, Siege III, Air Repair bombers make taking cities a cakewalk. And with bombardment promotions and a bit of luck you can kill units outright.

Top Bottom