Air Combat

I place a fighter on Patrol on a sea space within range of the carrier... lets say carrier tile as its a good example.
  1. The carrier moves 4 tiles away and the figher stays where you placed it because the carrier is still in range.
  2. The carrier then moves a 5th tile and the fighter moves its patrolling tile to that of the carrier but continues patrolling.
  3. The carrier moves another tile and the fighter behaves as in point 1.
I don't quite get the third section. Does the fighter return to where you placed it, thus not protecting the carrier anymore? So can the fighter move automatically toward the carrier maximum one tile beyond its 4-tile patrol range?

That's unfortunately true. I wonder if this was the case with the vanilla version of Civ 5 after almost a year upon its release. Can we hope for most of them to be fixed until the first expansion?
I don't think so, but then again it's hard to remember that far back, lol. But it feels it should be impossible to have this many bugs... I mean, somebody high up at Firaxis and/or 2K should take notice and step up the quality control at Firaxis, this number of bugs and outright design faults should be unacceptable. Especially when you consider it's already a year since release and we're getting patches that introduce new, massive bugs, like what happened to trade after the summer patch. It's like they do zero testing of their own game. Bug issues with this game are at a point where no one would be surprised if it was revealed that a disgruntled employee at Firaxis has been deliberately sabotaging the game, I at least would just go "oh, well that explains a lot".

I don't quite get the third section. Does the fighter return to where you placed it, thus not protecting the carrier anymore? So can the fighter move automatically toward the carrier maximum one tile beyond its 4-tile patrol range?
The fighter stays where you placed it while in range of the carrier. The moment the fighter is out of range of the carrier the fighter patrol jumps to patrol over the carrier.
The carrier moves 2 more spaces, the fighter is still in range so stays patrolling uselessly 2 tiles behind the carrier.
However, in the same turn you can now move the fighter to patrol over the carrier again. It works but is a bit messy.

Last edited:
The fighter stays where you placed it while in range, the moment you are out of range the patrol jumps to over the carrier, the carrier moves 2 more spaces but the fighter is still in range so is now patrolling uselessly 2 tiles behind the carrier. However, you can really-patrol the fighter as you have not moved it yourself yet.
well, thanks for trying to explain, but that's too complicated for me)

well, thanks for trying to explain, but that's too complicated for me

When I get a chance I will post step by step pictures here to clarify. It does not help when my auto spell check changed my description and I dd not check, apologies... I always have fat fingers. I have tried to change the description above as it was not clear.

When I get a chance I will post step by step pictures here to clarify. It does not help when my auto spell check changed my description and I dd not check, apologies... I always have fat fingers. I have tried to change the description above as it was not clear.
Eureka! I finally understood!) Thanks for correcting the mistakes and rephrasing. As far as I understood, the fighter is placed in the carrier, not in a city. That's good that a fighter understands that when put on top of the carrier for patrolling, it has to follow that carrier wherever it goes. Well, the fighter should always be on top of the carrier after the respective order, though.

Well, the fighter should always be on top of the carrier after the respective order, though
I think the issue is a patrol order is based on a tile rather than a unit in it so it happily sits in that tile after the carrier moves.
I suspect not many people do this anyway as it has never come up as a question

It's sad that this thread is running 12 months after release. I feel that @Victoria would have had her hands full creating a guide for this 11 months ago if the AI used an Air Force.

It's sad that this thread is running 12 months after release. I feel that @Victoria would have had her hands full creating a guide for this 11 months ago if the AI used an Air Force.
Someone else would have created the guide... the big breakthrough was @Hans Lemurson working out the combat formula.... the rest of such a guide is fairly simple although firetuner is a great help to testing.
Having an air combat guide separate from other combat guides seems a bit compartmentalised.

Perfect timing for this thread as I just encountered an interesting problem (bug?)

Despite having been able to do it in previous games, I suddenly cannot deploy a fighter on patrol from a carrier. I have no mods loaded and the only difference is I tried an Industrial Era start. Could Steam have sent me an update I am unaware of? Anyone else experience this?

I suddenly cannot deploy a fighter on patrol from a carrier.
Has one a save that is most useful?
All of ones tests were performed in firetuner and said product can be jolly odd at times.
Similar issues have occurred but never that have survived past the battering of a reload.

While it is not possible to deploy 2 fighteres to the same tile, using the aircraft carrier 'redeploy when moving out of range' design with full carrier promotions you can get 5 fighters deployed in the same square.
You could get an intercept combat strength of 272 theoretically, that's pretty big.
Add an army support unit and general embarked and a carrier that equals 9 or 11 UPT depending on how you look at it.
Just wondering if that's the highest UPT and combat strength possible?
upload_2017-9-28_18-35-31.png

Last edited:
Perfect timing for this thread as I just encountered an interesting problem (bug?)

Despite having been able to do it in previous games, I suddenly cannot deploy a fighter on patrol from a carrier. I have no mods loaded and the only difference is I tried an Industrial Era start. Could Steam have sent me an update I am unaware of? Anyone else experience this?

May I ask if the problems are similar to these issues?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...d-on-carriers-does-not-work-correctly.620695/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/10-0-0-110-deployment-of-fighters-based-on-carriers.611958/

Quite fascinating. I know it worked in previous "standard" games.

Yes, that appears to be the exact same problem. The deploy command is not highlighted when the fighter is based on the carrier.

At least I know I'm not the only one to see this.

So my question becomes....can Steam push through updates or patches without me knowing?

.can Steam push through updates or patches without me knowing?

Well the simple answer to that would be yes, of course they can however they would not direct a patch at you personally.
My testing has been done with Firetuner and I can deploy fighters from carriers in testing however my real games rarely make it as far as aircraft.
I will play a game normally up to carriers and see if they deploy.
I can always make a saveable firetuner game where they are deploy-able from carriers and you could load and see if that works on your computer.
It may be be down to an industrial start as you said

the only difference is I tried an Industrial Era start.

If we can narrow it down to that perhaps a full re-install would reset what was done?

my real games rarely make it as far as aircraft.

As you can see, I am a verrrrry slow player. In that game, there has only been one short war with Arabia and I purposely avoided attacking any City States....just cuz.

I figured Steam wouldn't send *me* a patch directly or individually, but I am quite new to this Steam business and just don't know if I would receive any such notification.

I purchased my game in June, but did not install it until mid-August. It has only the Aztec DLC. I have added no mods or other DLCs so I have no idea where I stand as far as any updates or patches otherwise.

Yes....I am technologically challenged. Heavy sigh.

But to all those who graciously answer my questions, my sincerest thanks!

I am technologically challenged
We are all technologically challenged in some way, thats fine.
With regard to Steam, they will deliver a patch only when advised by Firaxis and I imagine only on a global level.
Firaxis tends to have 0 communication to anyone and does not deliver individual patches. Every 3 months they deliver a patch of fixes to the game that may or may not contain a fix for your issue, certainly you issue has been reported before the last patch and this is quite common, not everything is fixed fast.
Your version of the game is the latest version and it is very likely you will receive a patch this month sometime along with everyone else. It is likely this version of the game will be patched for another 1-1.5 years at least.
When a bug is encountered it is best reported on a forum like this one and this bug has already been posted so we can only hope. I was merely offering identification help if you were interested because I like being helpful. I am equally happy not pursuing this further.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom