AIs and the Art of War

AI needs to fight better
barbarians are still the best army and control many powerful cities
This is true for the early game. By the time you get thru Classical though, on Game speeds better than Prince, the AI's advantage in Research starts to make them tougher. As they get the newest and better units before the player does. And by this time the Barbs are getting their comeuppance, because both player and AI are taking them out. At least this was the way it was before v41 release. We shall see if this trend continues...

Until Thunderbrd finishes implementing the whole AI redesign (which from what I understand will take more than one year), is there nothing to be done in the immediate future to stop the AI from being terrible at war?

Until Thunderbrd finishes implementing the whole AI redesign (which from what I understand will take more than one year), is there nothing to be done in the immediate future to stop the AI from being terrible at war?
Not really. There's a few things that might fix them in a few other ways but warfare strategy is a bit deeper, like a lot deeper and it's a big part of WHY it needs a deep redesign to manage.

upload_2020-12-15_8-49-8.png

gone deep into sumeria..but the culture makes army movement slow

The above looks a pretty cool game but Jesus those cities are close together
3 tiles apart as designed. Some like them packed in others like them far apart. All in playstyle.

The default is 2 tiles (gap) - always has been. I think it should be scaled to map size - if possible.

The default is 2 tiles (gap) - always has been. I think it should be scaled to map size - if possible.
Probably could be done with a new tag on the mapsize info. Interesting idea.

3 tiles apart as designed. Some like them packed in others like them far apart. All in playstyle.
When I say 3 tiles apart this is what I mean, city placed-main tile then 1, 2 tiles and 3rd tile can be new city or fort. X-x-x-X.

We are saying the same thing.

Some players just insist that cities have to be far enough apart that the expanded Fat X of each do not overlap. But that is just one of many preferences. I personally do not mind and use the approach (when I can) that is in Trantor's screenshot. Nor do I mind the AI doing this as well. That was standard for Rise of Mankind back in the day.

When I say 3 tiles apart this is what I mean, city placed-main tile then 1, 2 tiles and 3rd tile can be new city or fort. X-x-x-X.
In those pics, you have multiple cases of X-x-X. Suva Kis Eridug for example. I admit that the cities are taking up about a tile and a half in space so it's a little misleading and the plots are smaller than it looks like they'd be. Still... really looks like there's numerous cities with only one tile gap between them.

In those pics, you have multiple cases of X-x-X.
upload_2020-12-17_11-46-22.png

Pretty sure I'd call all of these as having a 2-tile gap, even if it doesn't visually look that way. English is hard.

I wonder if city-space separation could be set as a game option on launch because yeah, I'd imagine it's a thing many people might like very different degrees of (at least, until building overhaul inc. building yield per worked improvement).

View attachment 578627
Pretty sure I'd call all of these as having a 2-tile gap, even if it doesn't visually look that way. English is hard.

I wonder if city-space separation could be set as a game option on launch because yeah, I'd imagine it's a thing many people might like very different degrees of (at least, until building overhaul inc. building yield per worked improvement).
You're right - the plots are much smaller than they look.

We are saying the same thing.

I know, that is why I said 'gap'. When referring to the setting in Globaldefines. Myself, I set it to 3 on large maps.

got some land from the sumerians and my workers rushed to develop it. easier to count space

Top Bottom