1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alexander's... "Greek"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MrBlobby, Jan 10, 2014.

1. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Actually, we did notice that, a few pages back... ;)
    And yes, we have discussed why he should be speaking ancient Egyptian and why ramesses speaking Arabic was certainly a fault on the developers' side.

2. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Well, it's not like Wu was born into royalty. She was the emperor's concubine and worked her way up to being empress in her own right through strong political maneuvering (and lots of murder!). She was never a peasant - her father was a wealthy timber merchant - but she wasn't schooled at a young age in the emperor's court, either.

3. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Well, the real Egyptian language is extinct. Unless someone knows Coptic. I mean, that's the closest thing to the real Egyptian language.

4. LastSword

LastSword Prince

Cassimir cannot handle polish.

5. pyroflare77

pyroflare77 King

Well, Gajah is speaking Old Javanese, which might have something to do with that.

6. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Neither did she live in future to speak modern Mandarin Chinese. Her current lines don't even reflect her upbringing by a wealthy merchant.

7. Pydgie

Pydgie Alien Bean

I agree with you, but I just wanted to point out that Arabic is a Semitic language. Of course Coptic would've been a much better choice.

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Gah, it's Phoenician (I'm not sure if western Phoenician or Tyrian Phoenician, but, either way, Phoenician).

Dido was never Greek. She's supposed to be a Princess from the Phoenician colony of Tyre who founded Carthage. There's an argument that the Greeks made up the story, but they never claimed she was Greek.

Nor does what she speak sound remotely like Greek. Otaman is closer in that it's a semitic language fairly closely related to Hebrew (it's also related to Arabic, the Aramaic spoken by Darius, and the Akkadian spoken by Nebuchadnezzar and Ashurbanipal). In fact, people who speak Hebrew say they understand some of the words she speaks. If you want to use the Bible as a reference point, the Phoenicians are the Canaanites. So there's certainly some similarities. However, they aren't the same language.

Dido speaks Phoenician because she was Phoenician and the Carthaginians are Phoenician.

9. Sr_Rainbow

Sr_Rainbow Chieftain

I can easily tell that Wu Ze-Tian's voice actor is not a native Chinese speaker. She talks excruciatingly slowly, almost like she's patronizing me.

10. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

I understand some Hebrew. That's why I thought she was speaking Hebrew. As for Darius, I thought he was speaking Persian, not Aramaic. Guess I was wrong on that too. Double fail.

11. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

The speed is actually kinda accurate: in all the Chinese "soap operas" about the ancient times the characters speak ancient Chinese, which is much slower than the way Mandarin Chinese is spoken now.

12. qemist

qemist Prince

Actually he was Corsican and spoke French with a marked Corsican accent. I don't know what that would sound like to an anglo monoglot like me.

I dunno about "Ancient Chinese" but when I was watching Chinese historical soaps in a vain attempt to learn the language I noticed that they do tend to speak slowly and with exaggerated emphases, as though declaiming. I don't know if this is to make it easier for the audience to understand or it is just Chinese stage tradition.

13. adam19

adam19 Chieftain

im from morocco so any question can i help you. I think its a bit weird hearing dariya in dlipomatics, but i love it because thats the way people talk

14. Pydgie

Pydgie Alien Bean

I agree. Actually, I mentioned that a while ago.

And, btw, for non-Arabic speakers, Daariyya or Aammiyya is the language spoken at home or on the street among the people casually, whereas Fus-haa is the formal language.

15. Sr_Rainbow

Sr_Rainbow Chieftain

Well, Wu is speaking modern mandarin Chinese in the diplomacy screen, so it still sounds bad. Plus, I don't think you can really cite soap operas for their historical accuracy, especially for something like ancient talking speed. I mean, from watching Jersey Shore can a non-American form an accurate conclusion of how all people from New Jersey are? No.

16. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Napoleon sounds canadian and uses 'tu' instead of 'vous' which makes him sounds too casual to french ears.
    'tu disais ? ' .....non serieusement ,'tu' ?

17. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

He's arrogant - you want him to treat you by "vous"?
    You're lucky enough he even listens to your trade proposal! :p

Seriously, though - I do see a trend of some leaders using an informal "you", depending on the leader. Might be to sound more familiar and welcoming, other times it might be because they're arrogant and judge you inferior.
    Maria I always uses a formal you, but Pedro I uses a very informal one when he doesn't like you, for example.

18. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I don't speak Japanese and can't verify but I've heard that Oda is always very formal and respectful towards the player when he speaks. Even when he declares war he addresses you as an equal.

19. Pydgie

Pydgie Alien Bean

I guess that's because he is a samurai. So it would be all about discipline and respect.

20. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Oh yes, über formal. I'm almost surprised he doesn't address you as 様 :D