1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alexander's... "Greek"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MrBlobby, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

Alexander was Greek; Macedonia was a Greek-speaking, Greek-cultured kingdom located in what was then and what still is considered Greece.

You're right about the other two, though.

2. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Lol to you still not having a signature :goodjob:

Enrico's voice is really annoying when you open diplomacy with him (which is WAY too frequent). All I hear is him yelling "BAR BAR BAR BAR... Tempo" :p

3. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Well, their official language was Dutch. And Willem stutters a lot, which is idk if he stutters a lot or not. I'm guessing he does.

4. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Willem van oranje

The dutch grammar is awefull

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'm guilty of this too (see my post about Genghis), but how do we know this? We like to think of impressive military leaders as impressive sounding men, but that's certainly not always the case. Unless there are actual contemporary sources describing his voice in that way, I don't think there's any reason to assume something.

6. Moraiwe

Moraiwe Warlord

There is one obvious error, the Italian word for doge is used instead of the Venetian, but otherwise it is indeed good.

7. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

You could conceivably excuse this by saying that Catherine was a German who had to learn Russian after marrying into the royal family but I doubt they thought that far.

8. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Willem was from a German speaking part of the Holy Roman Empire.

9. Gustavus Rex

Gustavus Rex Prince

True. House of Vasa though, in general, was a bunch of violent savage pshychopaths. There is some sources letters and of powerful speaches. I just can't really see him as a soft fun guy from Gothenburg. :)

10. local_hero

local_hero Prince

Do you really think the voice actor is from Gothenburg? I don't feel convinced and it is difficult to decide what dialect it is. Haha, and violent savage psychopaths, shouldn't that more apply to Gustav Vasa and perhaps some of his sons... don't think that it does for Gustavus.

11. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

I'm still bothered by him looking like a completely different person :crazyeye:

12. local_hero

local_hero Prince

Agree. Would like to complement Firaxis for many nice leaders, voice acting and backgrounds but making Gustavus Adolphus look like somebody else (his uncle Erik XIV) just seems lazy when making research. Otherwise I really like Gustavus leader screen.

Edit: I don't know how the chances are for Sweden being represented in civ again, but I suppose they aren't too high. So too bad they couldn't really nail it.

13. seanflokstra7

seanflokstra7 Prince

Wh whaat?

I'll try again

14. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Elizabeth's voice actress is a well-respected dialect expert. I'm betting Elizabeth's voice is closer to how she actually spoke in court than you want it to be.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0501700/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

http://www.julialenardon.com/Home.html

It's Greek, isn't it? I recognize some of the words. Dido herself was Greek in the story of Carthage's founding.

Washington was Virginian. Have you been to Virginia (outside of the DC Metro area)? Even today it's a distinct accent. Washington wasn't from anywhere near New England and I don't think he ever even visited the British Isles (and he certainly didn't as a child). His accent would have been more southernly.

15. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

She's speaking Hebrew

16. Gustavus Rex

Gustavus Rex Prince

I think they liked Eriks bierd & fit body. The face still looks more like the actual Gustav. I'm not to bothered about it. He's got a reprentative look for a swedish ruler.

17. Gustavus Rex

Gustavus Rex Prince

Sounds like it at least. Yea, his grandfather, father and all of his uncles. (Magnus Vasa was i full blown nutcase) The apple never falls far from the tree. ;)

18. local_hero

local_hero Prince

I'm from Gothenburg, sort of. It might be somewhere close, perhaps Västergötland? Ah well. I didn't think of Johan III as crazy, but my thought was that Gustavus probably had a more royal upbringing than his father and uncles (and certainly his grandfather) and with good teachers. I might be wrong, but I think Gustavus was of a better caliber than his family. :)

19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I will comment on the languages not mentioned so far.

Wu Zetian's Chinese is definitely not befitting of royalty, very plain, like she's a commoner. It would be awesome if she spoke the Mandarin dialect of Xian. Plus a reconstruction of Middle Chinese has been done by scholars before, I guess they wanted Mandarin speakers to understand the dialogue, but it is so simple.

I sent youtube clips of Gajah Mada to my faculty advisor (he did work in Java, and knows Javanese as well as Indonesian), his short reply was "it's fractured Javanese, sort of". Make of that if you will.

Dido is speaking Phoenician, although perhaps with some Hebrew words.

Askia is speaking Zarma, a Songhai language.
    Shaka is speaking Zulu.
    Haile Selassie is speaking Amharic.
    Nebuchadnezzar and Ashurbanipal are speaking Akkadian, though they should have probably spoken Aramaic.
    Kamehameha is speaking Hawaiian (his voice actor is a scholar on the Hawaiian language)
    Pocatello is speaking Shoshone.
    Hiawatha is speaking Mohawk.
    Montezuma is speaking Nahuatl, a modern version with Spanish loanwords.
    Pacal is speaking Yucatec Maya.
    Pachacuti is speaking Quechua, apparently Ecuadorian, with Spanish loanwords (Imperio Inca :rolleyes:)

20. Knux

Knux Chieftain

About Ramesses II speaking Classical Arabic.
    Ancient egyptians spoke, well, ancient egyptian which has nothing to do with Arabic. It's closer to semitic and berber languages. But it's understandable, Ancient Egyptian is a dead language, deader than "dead" languages like Latin.