Alexander's... "Greek"

MrBlobby

Chieftain
I'm sorry, but it is laughable. Every single person I've taught a handful of words to have made better pronunciation and a better accent then whoever FA hired to voice Alexander for this game.

It makes me wonder how bad some of the other leaders might be. Anybody else found any frauds? :hmm:

Some European civilizations sound more similar to Spanish such as Enrico, August or Casimir. I can't tell if they are fraudulent to their language though.

He's speaking Attic Greek, not modern (or even Koine) Greek. The fact that he pronounces Theta like a modern English T rather than a modern English Th is a big giveaway (specifically the word "theon" is where I hear it).

Now the language was also apparently tonal. I don't know enough to tell if he's doing that, though. He has that annoying sing-song style, but I can't tell if that's connected.

ETA: Here is a link to read on this subject

Phonetically, Classic Greek would sound rather alien to contemporary Greeks, but don’t ever say this to them! It is an issue that most Greeks, even educated ones, ignore.(1) I suspect it is because the alphabet has stayed unchanged, so Greeks can read classic texts with no trouble at all (pronouncing in Modern Greek). After all, it all looks Greek to them! If any (non-Greek) scholar attempts to pronounce classic texts in the reconstructed(2) pronunciation, that, to Greeks is tantamount to sacrilege. As a contemporary Greek myself, I can give you my personal feeling for how the reconstructed pronunciation sounds: it is as if a barbarian is trying to speak Greek.(3) For example, take the word “barbarian” itself (which is of Greek origin): in Classic Greek it would be pronounced [barbaros]. In Modern Greek, it is [varvaros]. In general, the second letter of the alphabet, beta, was pronounced as in Plato’s time, but was changed to [v] by the time the Gospels were written. Now, to the modern Greek ear, [v] is a soft sound (a “fricative” in linguistics), sort of smooth and gentle, while is a hard one (a “plosive”), kind of rough and crass. The same can be said about the letter delta, which was pronounced as [d] by Plato, and as [th] (as in this) since around Christ’s time, and the letter gamma ([g] in Classic Greek, [gh] later the latter sound is a “voiced velar fricative”; click here to see the full repertoire of Modern Greek sounds). Greek readers of this text who do not believe that Plato, Socrates, etc., were sounding so barbaric, may take a clue from this very word: “barbaros” was coined after somebody who, as a non-native speaker of Greek would produce incomprehensible speech, which sounded like... well, what? Could it be “var-var-var”? Wouldn’t it sound more barbaric if it were “bar-bar-bar”? Besides this word, direct evidence for beta comes from a fragment of Attic comedy where it is said that the voice of the sheep is BH-BH.(4) In Modern Greek this would read as “vi-vi”, rather un-sheepish-like; while in the reconstructed way it would be “beeh-beeh”, exactly the sound that we, contemporary Greeks, attribute to the animal. (If the reader would like to make a comment on the above issues, email to me, and let me know what you think; but please make sure to have first read the links that say “Evidence” on the rightmost column of the table, below.)

More on just Theta

doesnt matter, his voice is annoying. More annoying than his spamming of corinth megara sparta and argos

I'm sorry, but it is laughable. Every single person I've taught a handful of words to have made better pronunciation and a better accent then whoever FA hired to voice Alexander for this game.

It makes me wonder how bad some of the other leaders might be. Anybody else found any frauds? :hmm:

Well, while I don't speak the language I'm fairly sure Civ V Ramesses speaks better Arabic than his real-life counterpart...

doesnt matter, his voice is annoying. More annoying than his spamming of corinth megara sparta and argos

To be fair, the real Alexander's voice could have sounded annoying too. We don't know what any of the leaders sounded like and the whimpy sounding ones could be completely right.

Except Genghis, he clearly sounded like more of a badass in real life ;)

Well, while I don't speak the language I'm fairly sure Civ V Ramesses speaks better Arabic than his real-life counterpart...

Yeah, that remains my biggest disappointment in what is otherwise a well done (although not perfect) addition to the game's polish and flavor. I get that a) Coptic Egyptian speakers are hard to find and b) Coptic is well-evolved from New Kingdom Egyptian to the point that it was clearly different, but it would have been nice to try and emulate something closer to what Ramesses spoke rather than a very distantly related language. Although I will say that the voice actor himself is great. If they add Saladin or someone like that to Civ6, they should invite him back.

Ramesses voice actor says his lines in a way that makes it sound like ancient Egyptian, though.

To be fair, the real Alexander's voice could have sounded annoying too. We don't know what any of the leaders sounded like and the whimpy sounding ones could be completely right.

Except Genghis, he clearly sounded like more of a badass in real life ;)

Pretty sure we know what Gandhi and Haile Selassie sounded like.

Yeah, that remains my biggest disappointment in what is otherwise a well done (although not perfect) addition to the game's polish and flavor. I get that a) Coptic Egyptian speakers are hard to find and b) Coptic is well-evolved from New Kingdom Egyptian to the point that it was clearly different, but it would have been nice to try and emulate something closer to what Ramesses spoke rather than a very distantly related language. Although I will say that the voice actor himself is great. If they add Saladin or someone like that to Civ6, they should invite him back.

The biggest problem I think with his Arabic lies in the fact that there are several other Arabic speakers in the game - even not being familiar with the language, a naive listener can detect that this Middle Kingdom Egyptian is speaking the same language as the Ottomans and Arabs. I agree with others that his intonation makes it sound somewhat more archaic, but the same words are there.

Agreed with the voice acting, though - the ones who do a convincing job of sounding angry are ones I like.

The biggest problem I think with his Arabic lies in the fact that there are several other Arabic speakers in the game - even not being familiar with the language, a naive listener can detect that this Middle Kingdom Egyptian is speaking the same language as the Ottomans and Arabs. I agree with others that his intonation makes it sound somewhat more archaic, but the same words are there.
Suleiman speaks modern Turkish (which lacks many of the Arabic loanwords of Ottoman Turkish).

OP: Attila's language (Chuvash) contains some very broken grammar and it's apparent that the voice actor had no idea what any of the words meant.

Also worth noting that Harun, Ramesses, and al-Mansur are all speaking with different dialects. Harun is using modern peninsular Arabic, Ramesses is using Egyptian Arabic filtered through an amazing VA, and al-Mansur is using Moroccan Arabic.

Maybe let's start by saying that Alexander wasn't Greek; didn't live for 6000 of years; and didn't use nukes. And then worry about stuff like this...

Attila speaks a horribly wrong grammatical Chuvash. Yet, no one seems to care. Ramsess speaks Egyptian Arabic not Ancient Egyptian or Coptic, Suleiman speaks Modern Turkish not Ottoman Turkish, Wu Zetian speaks Mandarin not Old Chinese, Napoleon has a Canadian accent not a French accent, and so on.

Napoleon doesn't have a Canadian accent. Not a huge fan of the voice, but the accent is fine.

Eh, I'm from a French-speaking part of Canada so I know. Trust me, it's different just like American English and British English. In CiV, Elizabeth doesn't sound like an English.

I didn't realize we had access to 2350 year old audio recorded samples of acient accents and dialects. What a wonderous age we live in that such things are possible! Please you have to share your source, I'm dieing to hear it!!

Wait a second, Spoken ancient greek will sound horrible to today's spoken greek? xD
Uh wow. I just learned something very surprising right now.

Thank you xD

OP: Attila's language (Chuvash) contains some very broken grammar and it's apparent that the voice actor had no idea what any of the words meant.

I've read speculation that that was deliberate, since in reality Attila didn't speak Chuvash, it's just the likely closest modern relative of his language. It's impressive enough that they went to the effort to find a language that close.

I don't know if that's ever been confirmed, though, and it's not the way any other archaic language is presented (if it were, they should have done it with Boudicca's Welsh).

The one that really irritates me is Montezuma, because the Spanish words mixed in among the Mexica are both very recognisable and jarring with the native elements of his speech - he's talking away indecipherably, then suddenly announces himself as "Imperator".

I think Washington's English is ridiculous.

I kid...

Elizabeth's is terrible.

I don't...

EDIT: On the subject of modern vs. archaic dialects, Elizabeth is of course speaking modern English and Elizabethan English is well-enough documented to know that that is somewhat anachronistic (she certainly wouldn't have had an 'RP' accent). It's not jarring, because she has very short lines (I've wondered why that is, when other leaders can be somewhat long-winded) and differences between Elizabethan and modern English are mainly in dialect words rather than the core language. At one point I was annoyed by the apparent "royal we", a modern affectation, but when she says "We are pleased to meet you" she might be meaning the English in general (there's a similar misconception about Victoria's notorious line "We are not amused". Taken in context she was describing women collectively, not herself alone; in all of her correspondence she uses the personal pronoun like anyone else)

In CiV, Elizabeth doesn't sound like an English.

I've heard all the voice actors, at least in vanilla, were Canadian. Elizabeth's actress is obviously trying to emulate a southern English 'RP' pronunciation, since she doesn't have a Canadian accent, it's just a bad attempt even by the standards of caricatures. Are English voice actors really that difficult to find?

Napoleon sounds fine to me, though.

Napoleon is FRENCH! Not Quebecian french, but France french.

Specifically, Corsican French.

Top Bottom