Algerian Civilization for Civ VII

Baloo123

Chieftain
Hello I would like to suggest you my idea of Algerian civilization for civilization 7, because it must be said that Civ 6 was very poor with regard to North Africa and the Arab world.

I propose Houari Boumediene as leader, the man who gave Algeria an international aura and a place in the concert of nations, by being among the leaders of the non-aligned movement.

Leader ability:

Mecca of revolutionaries: Can financially support the rebellions of cities losing loyalty. Aid from Algeria leads to a drop in the number of rounds before the rebellion. Independent free cities aided by Algeria do not attack Algeria and are immune to loyalty pressure from other civilizations. Independent free cities aided by Algeria provides luxury resources and gold per turn to Algeria.

Civ ability :

War of Independence: Doubles the effects of loss of loyalty and halves the number of turns required before rebellion for cities founded by Algeria when conquered by other civilizations. Cities in rebellion immediately become Algerian again without going through the status of “free city” and see their production increase by 50% for 5 turns after their independence.

Desert Fennecs: Desert tiles cost -75% and doubles border expansion when you are at war against a civilization occupying one of your cities. Oil can be exploited earlier (industrialization).

People's National Army: Close combat unit that replaces infantry. +10 power when fighting within a city losing loyalty.

Last edited:
Interesting but this civilization risks being very toxic in game. But I like the idea.

If they also add Morocco (which I really hope) it will be a great clash :D

Hello I would like to suggest you my idea of Algerian civilization for civilization 7, because it must be said that Civ 6 was very poor with regard to North Africa and the Arab world.

I propose Houari Boumediene as leader, the man who gave Algeria an international aura and a place in the concert of nations, by being among the leaders of the non-aligned movement.

Leader ability:

Mecca of revolutionaries: Can financially support the rebellions of cities losing loyalty. Aid from Algeria leads to a drop in the number of rounds before the rebellion. Independent free cities aided by Algeria do not attack Algeria and are immune to loyalty pressure from other civilizations. Independent free cities aided by Algeria provides luxury resources and gold per turn to Algeria.

Civ ability :

War of Independence: Doubles the effects of loss of loyalty and halves the number of turns required before rebellion for cities founded by Algeria when conquered by other civilizations. Cities in rebellion immediately become Algerian again without going through the status of “free city” and see their production increase by 50% for 5 turns after their independence.

Desert Fennecs: Desert tiles cost -75% and doubles border expansion when you are at war against a civilization occupying one of your cities. Oil can be exploited earlier (industrialization).

People's National Army: Close combat unit that replaces infantry. +10 power when fighting within a city losing loyalty.

It would be too strong. They will support all the cities in loss of loyalty (redoubleable capacity especially during the wars between two civilizations) and they will be very difficult to attack considering the problems of loyalty. Unless you have an overwhelming military superiority allowing to take the Algerian cities one after the other quickly, which almost never happens at high level, it will be impossible to win a long war against Algeria because time will play against us and that the pressures of loyalty will be too crippling.
On the other hand, the idea looks really interesting but to be moderated to make the bonuses less OP.

It would be too strong. They will support all the cities in loss of loyalty (redoubleable capacity especially during the wars between two civilizations) and they will be very difficult to attack considering the problems of loyalty. Unless you have an overwhelming military superiority allowing to take the Algerian cities one after the other quickly, which almost never happens at high level, it will be impossible to win a long war against Algeria because time will play against us and that the pressures of loyalty will be too crippling.
On the other hand, the idea looks really interesting but to be moderated to make the bonuses less OP.
It's just an idea, I'm not a developer. But it is certain that it will be necessary to refine all this a little...

Then Fxis had to choose between Algiers or Morrocco since boths are nearly identical
UU:
Either Xebec or Bedouine (a kind of light unit that later armed with notoriously dangerous heavy musket, actually they were reasons French Royal Army of 1830s had to consider equip even basic infantry with rifled musket and that began the quests to solve muzzle loader rifle's peculiar problems which finally concluded in 1840s which when 'Riflemen' of previous Civ games originated from)

To better populate North Africa, I would go with one of the North African emirates or Morocco rather over Algeria. Yeah the colonial revolts were significant but we already have civs that do that better. And of course Carthage would have been better than Phoenicia considering we got Sumeria AND Babylon. Hell Numidia would have even been interesting (Despite it being another calvary-centric Civ lol). But no…let’s put in Gaul cause we obviously need more NW Europe.

In terms of Arabic representation…yeah it has been terrible. But I don’t think the answer is to put in modern states…like most Civs, we should go off of more notable/ “Golden” ages of that ethnicities’ history. I think they could have easily done a science focused Abassid Civ in addition to Saladin (too popular to pass up) leading a more militarical Ayubbid. Calling Arabia a Civ is just stupid…that’s like creating a whole Civ called “Anatolia”-Civs aren’t usually named after regions lol

In fact, they could do a dual leader with an Andalusian king and Spain…hmm. Now a Moorish Civ is something I’d get behind!

Leader ability:

Mecca of revolutionaries:
Can financially support the rebellions of cities losing loyalty. Aid from Algeria leads to a drop in the number of rounds before the rebellion. Independent free cities aided by Algeria do not attack Algeria and are immune to loyalty pressure from other civilizations. Independent free cities aided by Algeria provides luxury resources and gold per turn to Algeria.

Civ ability :

War of Independence:
Doubles the effects of loss of loyalty and halves the number of turns required before rebellion for cities founded by Algeria when conquered by other civilizations. Cities in rebellion immediately become Algerian again without going through the status of “free city” and see their production increase by 50% for 5 turns after their independence.

I think a Northwestern Berber Kingdom or the Medieval Moroccan Kingdom would be more likely - and more palatable to the market, as a whole. Even the Deyalik of Algiers as the source of grief of wars to end corsair raids by numerous European Navies, and the first U.S. Naval Wars outside it's own waters, would be much more interesting and plausible.

If I should to choice between Marrocos and Algeria I should pick Marrocos because he has a kingdom more recognizible then Algeria. I don't know that much about Algerian history, but as far I know, I just remember Algeria, in my history book, after the French colonization

And why should a country that is only 60 years old be in the game? Also, it would be controversial in France, so Firaxis likely wouldn't do it.

Emir Abdelkader would be a great choice for an Algerian leader.

Even the Deyalik of Algiers as the source of grief of wars to end corsair raids by numerous European Navies

I don't recall any notable Dey of Algiers, most of them were cruel and corrupt and had no significant achievements. But an Algerian civ based on the corsairs could have Oruç Reis, the elder of the Barbarossa brothers, as a leader

Top Bottom