Alien behavior overhaul concept: Species specific and global changes.

Galgus

Emperor
Beyond simply making the Aliens more aggressive when angered, I think that emphasizing different behavioral quirks would make them more interesting.

Their behaviors would shift in ways that could differ between Aliens when at green, yellow, and red hostility levels.

These changes are based on three goals:

1. Aliens are legitimately dangerous when angered, and can be used as a soft warmonger's proxy when kicking the hornet's nest.

2. Clearing Aliens, while risky and challenging, can provide a strong head start for your colony.

3. Players should be able to notice how different aliens behave differently.

To those ends I would make these seven changes:

1. Ultrasonic Fence now only keeps Green and Yellow aggression level Aliens away. It also grants a +25% combat bonus against Aliens in your territory and eliminates aggression gain from fighting Aliens in your territory.

2. Clearing Nests grants a large food boost rather than energy in the nearest city for a powerful population advantage.

3. The Survivalism trait extends this to a food boost based on slain Alien combat strength.

4. While Aliens have global aggression, some actions will make them locally more aggressive.

5. Different species of Aliens have different behavior patterns.

6. Attacking Aliens within one's own territory causes half the usual aggression.

7. Resource Pods grant greater rewards, but require an excavation.

Actions that cause increased local aggression cause the Aliens to gather to a location and attack nearby units, similar to how they act when near a nest.

The following actions would cause this behavior:

1. Cutting down Trees and clearing Hydra Coral.

2. Clearing Miasma. More pronounced under a Miasmic Repulsor.

3. Extended combat with Aliens.

4. Excavations cause a relatively minor pulling effect.

With this, both beating back the wilds and performing field research and recovery could lead to conflict with the Aliens.

Species Specific Behavioral Patterns

Each Alien breed would act differently, changing with increased aggression.

At higher aggression levels more Aliens spawn and the Alien cap is increased, particularly that of the more dangerous Aliens.

At Green, they only make provoked attacks and attacks of opportunity against easy targets.

At Yellow, they will not chase units, but will attack what comes in their range.

At Red, they will actively chase units and move to swarm and destroy cities.

Gargantuan aliens - Siege Worms and Kraken, take much longer to anger than others.

Scarab

Green - Individuals scattered in random locations away from nests.

Yellow - Notably increased spawn rate, same behavior.

Red - Extremely high spawn rate, move to attack cities without any tact or coordination.

Wolf Beetle

Green - Scattered away from nests. However, fighting Wolf Beetles tends to attract more Wolf Beetles.

Yellow - Moves in packs of 2-3.

Red - Attacks in packs of 3-4.

Manticore

Green - Stays very close to nests.

Yellow - Roams further from nests.

Red - Will try to accompany groups of Aliens in an attack.

Raptor Bug

Green - Tends to stay in Miasma and near Nests, but fighting any Aliens attracts them.

Yellow - Roam freely as individuals, highly attracted by fighting other Aliens.

Red - Beelines towards cities and fights with other Aliens.

Siege Worm

Green - Will attack most units that come within one tile, but makes no effort to chase.

Yellow - Same pattern, but they now move at two tiles a turn.

Red - Will beeline to your cities to live up to their namesake.

Ripper

Green - Roams anywhere on the seas. Attracted to fights against all sea Aliens, including Hydra Coral.

Yellow - Moves in packs of 3-4.

Red - Attacks in packs of 5-6. I like to think the plural form of Ripper could be "A wave of Rippers."

Makara

Green - Roams between Alien nests on the water and near the coast.

Yellow - Highly attracted to fights near nests.

Red - Moves to attack the nearest city, be it on water or land.

Sea Dragon

Green - Nest guardians of the water, tend to swim around them.

Yellow - Ranges further from nests.

Red - Attacks cities without coordination.

Kraken

Green - Typically only found in the deep sea far from land. Dangerous to approach, but they do not chase.

Yellow - Very likely to attack units that come near.

Red - Attack cities as individuals or pair up around nests.

That all would be extremely neat, though I think something else is required in addition to behaviour: special abilities.

That would really make a difference, for example something like this:

Scarab:
Blue - Heals your adjacent units by 5 HP (does not stack)
Green/Yellow - N/A
Red - Heals itself 5 HP every turn (regardless of moving and normal heal)

Wolf Beetle
Blue - Your adjacent units gain +20% defence
Green/Yellow - N/A
Red - gains +1 bonus move

Manticore
Blue - Provides 2 hexes air defence (for native life and your units)
Green/Yellow - N/A
Red - Ranged attacks have a 50% chance of creating miasma in target tile

...and so forth.

@Lord Tirian

I like that idea!

Giving them some unique traits would be an excellent way to diversify the Aliens.

The Scarab bonus is probably a bit too tame, but I love the ideas.

In particular it would be nice for a friendly Aliens approach to have some fun perks in using them, though I'd like Harmony to be able to upgrade them somehow.

Good ideas there, Lord Tirian. Especially with the perks of the blue affiliation. Gives an extra incentive to have that alien nest in your borders, and protect it from the other colonies.

Even as a simple change, I think your Ultrasonic Fence idea by itself is great. It would really excel with other ways to get Alien aggression up, but even in vanilla it's entirely possible to get aggression to Red (since the patch changes, I can't remember which patch).

Great ideas, Galgus!

But you certainly need to include some powerful perks for blue.

The only thing I really want from aliens, is for them to not block my citizen from working my tiles. So annoying, particularly the Sea Dragons. If they're yellow/orange/red, I can understand how they want to terrorize my citizens. But if I'm blue or green? Just leave my tiles alone guys.

What is this "blue" Alien status you speak of?

I thought they defaultly changed from yellow to red. /s

What is this "blue" Alien status you speak of?

I thought they defaultly changed from yellow to red. /s

Its this fabled state of aliens that purportedly happens when you have good relations with aliens, whatever that is.

The only thing I really want from aliens, is for them to not block my citizen from working my tiles. So annoying, particularly the Sea Dragons. If they're yellow/orange/red, I can understand how they want to terrorize my citizens. But if I'm blue or green? Just leave my tiles alone guys.

I like the ideas of perks for Blue aliens, what I would like to see for Blue aliens in general

"Blue"..
Nests in your territory will continue to spawn aliens periodically (if there is < x aliens near the nest)
Your ultrasonic Fences will not keep out aliens (fits with the 'only keep out Yellow or Green'.... not Blue or Red)
Non siege worm Aliens will be bumped by your units moving

Also a way for aliens to be improved later game (a Wonder that allows the players Harmony affinity level to upgrade the Wild/blue aliens)

I'm loathe to bring up the Aliens vs. Barbarians discussion. I realized that part of the problem with Aliens is that they don't have scaling stats as the game progresses. I know this has been brought up before, but the impact as only dawned on me now.

With V, Barbarians advance in technology just as a civilization does as the game continues. However with Aliens that can't really happen, unless there is some form of aggressive mutation occurring.

With the upcoming Harmony "Leash" mechanic, we will have a way of harnessing the power of the aliens and I really like the ideas I see here. There really needs to be a way to keep them more relevant to the mid and late game.

Top Bottom