Alpha Centauri

FramedArchitect

Reluctant Modder
I'm developing a full-conversion mod inspired by the Alpha Centauri 4X game of old.
Primary areas of focus will be:
  • An overhaul of the yields system
  • New Improvements and Terraforming
  • Multiple unit upgrade paths
  • Psi combat

As always, if you have ideas or suggestions for development, or you'd like to contribute, let me know!

Current Downloads

Mix and match mods, all compatible with GnK and BNW.

Attachments

• civ01.jpg
    civ01.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 6,615
  • dom.jpg
    dom.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 5,806
  • lineup.jpg
    lineup.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 5,040
  • Map01.jpg
    Map01.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6,870
  • improvement.jpg
    improvement.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 4,582
  • policies_pedia.jpg
    policies_pedia.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 3,516
  • policies_bnw.jpg
    policies_bnw.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 3,387
  • Map07.jpg
    Map07.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 2,422
  • OceanCities05.jpg
    OceanCities05.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 2,136
Extremely excited for this!

I hope there's some way you manage to incorporate the videos for the projects that helped make Alpha Centauri so amazing - probably just the audio of the quotes. So many of them still ring in my head over a decade later (I still quote 'human behavior is economic behavior' in plenty of discussions :p)

Indeed, a project worth to watch...or better: contribute!

Not that I have much experince with or time for Civ5 modding, but at least some feedback on the civilization design...regarding your UB choices, you might refer to the orginal SMAC ingame quote for the Social Engineering tech. It mentioned (flavourwise, as the following facilities don't exist as buildings in SMAC) several "typical locations" in certain factions bases, like Gamling Halls (Morgan), Lovers Gardens (Deidre), Reading Rooms (U.N.), Barracks Yards (Sparta) or Assembling Halls for feeding people (Yang). University and believers as well as the SMAX ones aren't covered, but it guess it wouldn't be hard to find fitting ones for them, too. Just would make it again a bit closer to SMAC...

EDIT: You could also rename Great People; I remember a thread about this were I contributed on this for Civ4's Planetfall mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337794

In general, Planetfall might be a great source of inspiration how to transfer certain elements into the Civ Engine (though of course the differences between Civ4 and 5 have to be considered)

Aah, looks intergalactically awesome! :cool::borg::goodjob: I'm now seriously looking forward to this on long range scanners. :scan::king:

I have a hefty collection of scifi 2D art and space-ambient mp3 tracks I'd been gradually accumulating for my 2071 mod of Civ4 Colonization, if interested PM me & and I'd be glad to provide any of this for potential use with this mod.

Also in the link in my sig are a big collection of scifi buttons, unfortunately they're in the "square" civ4 format but I think I have unbordered originals around somewhere. If there is a PSD template for the button borders used in Civ5, I may potentially be able to regenerate a button pack in Civ5 format using a batch script in Photoshop. :assimilate:

...regarding your UB choices, you might refer to the orginal SMAC ingame quote for the Social Engineering tech....

In general, Planetfall might be a great source of inspiration...
Thank you for the reference and the ideas. I was not aware of this civ4 project.

I have a hefty collection of scifi 2D art and space-ambient mp3 tracks I'd been gradually accumulating for my 2071 mod of Civ4 Colonization, if interested PM me & and I'd be glad to provide any of this for potential use with this mod.
Thanks Orlanth for the art resource ideas. I would like to use better art as this was a large area of criticism in past projects. Shall I add you via Steam?

I've finished off most of the content and UI for the new Social Engineering System that will replace the standard Policy Screen.

As with the original game, you can only have one active policy in each branch, and changing policies at any time results in anarchy. The only "new" thing I've added are the small synergy boosts that result from having certain combinations of policies.

I'm working on the AI now and should have v.1 available next week. It will be fully compatible with GNK and BNW and my other Alpha Centauri mods.

finally a replacement to Crazy Spatz's mod which has been dead for eons.

Originally Posted by orlanth View Post
Thanks Orlanth for the art resource ideas. I would like to use better art as this was a large area of criticism in past projects. Shall I add you via Steam?
Sure, I PM'ed you & sent a link to zips of SF 2D art via google drive. They won't all be a thematic fit for Alpha Centauri but should have some good ones in there. :scan::borg::king: What you've got so far for the leaders etc is already looking pretty good IMHO. :goodjob:

Fantastic! :scan: dl'ing

The 'Social engineering' link is linking to the 'Alpha Centari Maps', found it at your profile page..others may not think to look there though. Thanks for the mod!!

I have been working on a similar mod for about a month now. I have some alpha level stuff for the factions, tech tree, facilities, and special projects (aka wonders).

Let me know how to communicate so we can work together on this.

I have been working on a similar mod for about a month now. I have some alpha level stuff for the factions, tech tree, facilities, and special projects (aka wonders).

Let me know how to communicate so we can work together on this.

Oh it would fantastic to collaborate! If you add me via Steam friends (id = framedarchitecture ) we can discuss details. I have the project as a repository on SourceForge, so a collaborative effort would be very easy to set up.

Best, FA

Never used Steam this way, but I will try to work it out this weekend.

Hope to discuss with you soon.

Well I played about 200 turns, I have a few recommendations, if I may.
The 8 turns of anarchy seem really harsh, no gold no science, basically its equivalent to a tech and a alliance with a city state. I'm not sure if the switch is worth that.
May I suggest, instead of automatic anarchy, a (temporary) really big happiness penalty that could result in anarchy. In fact it might be better since partisans could spawn. Maybe somewhere around -20 happiness.
Is there any way you could switch more than one at a time if you had the culture?

Great mod, can't wait for there to be more!
Thank you for all the hard work.

Top Bottom