Alpha Centauri

is it possible to start on a normal map than after building a space ship you start on the Alpha Centauri map?

is it possible to start on a normal map than after building a space ship you start on the Alpha Centauri map?

Probably a LOT more work required to do something like this - for starters, MOD's can't really be enabled/disabled at the whim of the mod itself. More improtantly, what do you actually envision moving over from Civ to AC? If it's just the civ names, just do that manually. Diplomatic relations should be basically reset, as interaction between earth and AC is limited to none.

what do you actually envision moving over from Civ to AC?

no no what i mean is start on a normal map than when you build the spaceship the game continues but goes to the alpha cent map (the red one) with a new set of tasks to do there to win the game.

Right, I understood that, but what would that add over simply starting a new game? You're still starting from scratch on the new map.

i dunno just to make it interesting. maybe add some new stuff related to AC to the normal map that carry over with you once you get to AC? that's what happened in test of time i think?

Interesting. You have actually piqued my interest back to Civ V. A few questions if I may.

1) I noticed you stated terraforming. How do you plan on being able to raise/lower terrain? additionally, how do you plan on mimicing the weather effects to coincide with this.

2) How do you plan on interpreting Voice of Planet within your mod?

3) Unit design workshop; This was a huge part of AC, how do you plan on implementing this within the mod?

4) End game, specifically Transcendance VC. What are your plans concerning these?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm actually curious. But some additional info for your mod as to your goals, ideas, member input, Q&A, etc may actually bring some AC fans out of the shadows and perhaps show an improved interest in Civ V.
Perhaps a dedicated sub-thread would ellicit a greater amount of interest and help with your mod. You may even find that if given sufficiant impetus, some of the CIv IV mod community (surprisingly, quite a few of us are able to mod Civ V) may show some interest and offer to help.

Your Social Engineering mod might be a great addition or component to other mods. Have you ever thought about making it a generic modification for basic unalthered game? You could just make different set of policies -not so futuristic, keeping the rules intact.
If you don't mind, could you share few technical details? Is it possible to make changes in sql files only, without changing lua's? What are display and sql restrictions, I mean what is the maximum number of social policy branches and maximum number of policies per branch ? Is it possible that number of policies per branch will vary?

I am hoping to try this sometime soon. This was really all I looking for from CivBE. Screen shots are beautiful.

The 8 turns of anarchy seem really harsh, no gold no science, basically its equivalent to a tech and a alliance with a city state. I'm not sure if the switch is worth that.
Is there any way you could switch more than one at a time if you had the culture?

IMHO the anarchy should only be on the same order Civ5 has for switching SP. Maybe just 2 turns if making only one change. Changing 2 columns at once should be 4 turns. Adjusting 3 columns could be 8 turns anarchy. That was closer to how SMAC worked.

Does this mod have mindworms et al.?

Check out Crazy Spatz's Age of Transcendance. I made a request and now we have the files. Try to implement some of that. It's really great but there are some things... like missing models. Firaxis broke the mod with an update. It only works in 1.0.1.511 . But you should be able to see the code and implement some of it. It's awesome.

Update to Maps replaces all default barbs with three new unit types: Locusts of Chiron, Spore Towers, and Sealurks. I used models re-engineered for civ5 by Civitar and others. (Thank you!) Also added a new sea feature (seafungus) and swapped out the graphics for farms and trading posts for a better fit on an alien planet. I should have my new mod allowing coastal and ocean cities uploaded some time this week, which will mesh nicely with the maps.

Spoiler :

Ha! I must say I was not at all expecting the "Evil Kraken" to show up in a sci-fi mod! And Nomad/Deliverator's Sandworm looks spec-TAC-ular in there!
I need some practice with sci-fi units... if you have a few requests I might take a swing at a few. (No promises though - I'm already rather busy. But if the urge to make a sci-fi unit catches me I'd like to know what you're looking for.)

Ha! I must say I was not at all expecting the "Evil Kraken" to show up in a sci-fi mod! And Nomad/Deliverator's Sandworm looks spec-TAC-ular in there!
I need some practice with sci-fi units... if you have a few requests I might take a swing at a few. (No promises though - I'm already rather busy. But if the urge to make a sci-fi unit catches me I'd like to know what you're looking for.)

I should poke you about helping convert some of the old WH40K tanks -- the models themselves work fine, but I've been meaning to get someone to help fix the animations. I'm hoping it'd be easier than converting a model from scratch, since half of it's done already.

This thread also reminds me I need to get around to posting the "sci fi" improvements I've made, particularly since some of them descend from Alpha Centauri mods, I believe. Certainly the "tech citadel" I made for my Yumemi civ would likely look better than the standard citadel... :3

Whoah, that looks amazing. I played the standard size Alpha Centauri map to see what it's like, and I was impressed. Won a science victory, and launched a starship to Alpha Centauri, lol. I wasn't using any mods except for the map. Looking forward to the new mod, I'll probably wait until most of the features are fairly developed though.

Top Bottom