Alternate History #5

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
Adolph Hitler is sent to the front in 1917, and dies in combat. The Nazi party becomes a player in the overthrow of the Republic, two years later, but without a charismatic leader, never takes power. Instead, in 1936 Herman Goering takes control of a divided country.

J

That's kind of vague. How are the Communists doing? Was there an enabling act? What's the situation in Spain? What happened to the USSR? Has the Rhineland been remilitarised? What group does Goering represent?
If you're going to extend your scenario that far past your point of divergence in one go, you really need far more details.

Also, I think the mods might start getting annoyed if we keep starting new Alternate Histories...

So, I shouldn't post Alternate History 6: What if the Cheeseburger never existed?

That's kind of vague. How are the Communists doing? Was there an enabling act? What's the situation in Spain? What happened to the USSR? Has the Rhineland been remilitarised? What group does Goering represent?
If you're going to extend your scenario that far past your point of divergence in one go, you really need far more details.

• what happened to the Polish-Soviet war?
  • Irish civil war?
  • Japan's attempts of grabbing land in asia and the pacific?

Valid points. I was thinking that the point of divergense is that Goering takes power, but on reflection it is that the Nazi party never finds its public face. You would still ahve the Brown Shirts, but I am not sure the SS would ever develop into a cohesive body, and if they did, they would be different. No Beer Hall Putsch, no 1936 Olympic pageant, not nearly the foreign reach into Spain, etc. We would have to stipulate that the Communists cannot take power either, and that the government in Berlin is unfocussed and ineffectual.

I do not see how USSR would be effected at that point. There would be no funding for remilitarization. Goering had his own organization in the Nazi party, which is why he was able to cut a deal, outside the reach of the SS, when Hitler came to power. One thing which this thread would have to do is take that kernal and develop it through merger and aquistion of other political elements. On page two is the scapegoat of the scenario. Obviously in our history it was the Jews. If the Nazi message is finally repudiated, they cannot be the ones under the gun.

So, on your lead, lets back this up to the early 1930s. The Nazi party is strong, but not dominant and not gaining power. They are an effective counter balance to the Communists, they have similar appeal after all, so that neither gains the upper hand. Goering breaks from the Nazi party in, say 1931 taking a core group with him, and reenters the fray in 1934 with is famous book, "Germany Reborn." With an ineffective caretaker government, two feuding left wing parties, the aristocratic Goering becomes the media darling, and sweeps into office in 1936. Any major foreign interventions prior to that time should be discounted.

A friend of mine raises an interesting point. Who would play Hitler's role in Franz von Papen's machinations?

J

Didnt we learn that modern history sucks for alternative history and enough with it!!! Im getting sick of it...

Top Bottom