Alternate Leader Ideas based on Rise and Fall Mechanics

Jkchart

Emperor
Hi there, Fanatics! I don't get to post often, but I had some ideas for Civ VI alternate leaders based on the Rise and Fall mechanics, and I'm kind of writing this as an idea for an "alternate-leader" pack that one day I hope Firaxis could do! Civ packs are great and successful ideas, and we need more than 2 alternate leaders for civs. Since there have been some great suggestions in the past, I thought I'd make this thread as a place for people to share ideas based on mechanics for alternate leaders based on the Rise and Fall mechanics. I've included four ideas based on the four big game mechanics from the expansion: Loyalty, Ages, Governors, and Alliances.

1. Hatshepsut, as an alternative leader for Egypt. Her capital would be Wasit (or Thebes, as it was known to the Greeks, but I think Wasit fits better since it is how the ancient Egyptians called the city, I believe). Hatshepsut was a prolific builder and built so many structures that most Egypt-related museums have some sort of artifact from her rule in them. She often associated herself with the God Amun, and had proclamations of Amun's support for her carved on her monuments. Her power I've called Daughter of Amun - it could provide: "Building wonders always provides +1 era score towards the next era. All wonders provide +2 loyalty to the city in which they were built, and +0.5 loyalty to other cities within six tiles of the wonder." Her agenda would be Foremost of Noble Ladies (taken from what her name means) - she likes it when Civs have loyal citizens, will always try to keep her citizens as loyal as possible, and looks unfavorably upon those civs that have disloyal citizens, or have lost cities due to loyalty problems.

2. Kangxi, as an alternative leader for China. His capital would be Beijing, which was the capital of the Qing Dynasty. He has the longest reign of any Chinese emperor, constantly suppressing revolts and continuously expanded the power of the Qing Dynasty over the course of his rule. Kangix's power for purposes of this thread is called High Qing, which grants his civilization +2 loyalty for cities with which there is a garrisoned land unit, and occupied cities with Garrison's gain +50% loyalty towards his civilization per turn. Cities with full loyalty gain +30% gold, as well as +10% production. This makes Kangxi good at maintaining loyalty in his cities, conquered or founded, but also rewards a player greatly for keeping his cities at full loyalty. Kangxi's agenda could be The Great Consolidator (as he was known) - Kangxi likes civilizations that do not exert significant loyalty pressure on his civilization, and greatly dislikes civs that do exert such pressure.

3. Umar, as an alternative leader for Arabia, with his capital at Medina, the capital of the Rashidun Caliphate at the time. Under Umar, the Rashidun Caliphate expanded at an unpredecented rate, and with it Islam, and created a governing structure for the expanding empire that was efficient at governing his realm. His power could be Amirs (not sure of a better name, but refers to governors of his provinces): "All governors are established in 3 turns, except the Castellan, which is established in two. Governors in a city increase religious pressure from the city by 25%, and also increase the gold income of the city by 10%." His agenda could be Rashidun Caliphate (again, name probably needs tweaking): Umar likes civilizations that embrace his religion, and that are wealthy, but dislikes neighboring civilizations that do not follow his religion or have poor economies. It would be this because of his great reforms to ensure a lack of corruption and the codification of Islam, but I'm sure someone else could do a better job with this one.

4. Otto von Bismarck, as an alternative leader for Germany, with his capital at Berlin. Bismarck was the great unifier of the German people into a single German Empire, and he maintained the balance of power in Europe for decades, with Germany at the center of European politics. His power could be Realpolitik: "Creating new alliances or leveling them up grants an envoy for each instance to Bismarck. Any envoy sent to a city state counts as two envoys if they are on Bismarck's continent, or if at least two German cities border that city state." By maintaining alliances, Bismarck is designed to be able to achieve hegemony on his continent, both by creating alliances and gaining city state allies to help him out. Bismarck's agenda could be Iron Chancellor: Bismarck likes civilizations on his continent that are either allied to him or are less powerful than he is. He dislikes civilizations that are on his continent and are not allied to him, are more powerful than he is, or attack his city state allies.

Discussion or ideas from others related to the Rise and Fall features are welcome, including tweaks to my own!!

I greatly appreciate these designs,
although they can be in a better layout, as this is quite an eye-sore to read through all those lines.:crazyeye:

1. Hatshepsut, as an alternative leader for Egypt. Her capital would be Wasit (or Thebes, as it was known to the Greeks, but I think Wasit fits better since it is how the ancient Egyptians called the city, I believe). Hatshepsut was a prolific builder and built so many structures that most Egypt-related museums have some sort of artifact from her rule in them. She often associated herself with the God Amun, and had proclamations of Amun's support for her carved on her monuments. Her power I've called Daughter of Amun - it could provide: "Building wonders always provides +1 era score towards the next era. All wonders provide +2 loyalty to the city in which they were built, and +0.5 loyalty to other cities within six tiles of the wonder." Her agenda would be Foremost of Noble Ladies (taken from what her name means) - she likes it when Civs have loyal citizens, will always try to keep her citizens as loyal as possible, and looks unfavorably upon those civs that have disloyal citizens, or have lost cities due to loyalty problems.

This is a balanced design after all, focusing on the golden era system.

I don't know if the golden era bonus will be really significant or not, so commenting the power of this design at this point cannot be relevant.
If the bonuses are really that powerful, I think Hatshepsut will be fairly strong, on top of the Egpytian's power to build wonders.

And the choice of abilities does fit her.
Hatshepsut was bringing stability for Egypt, opening an golden age. And she was a wonder builder as well.
That is why I greatly appreciate making her a leader aimed to create golden ages.

I would like to add an Unique Unit for her though.

If you played the "Gift of Nile" scenario, you will know that there is a melee unit called the "Medjay".
It has higher strength standing adjacent to holy site or sth, as I can roughly remember.
I would like to give it a higher combat strength adjacent to a wonder as well.

Then, combining all those uniques,
Hatshepsut will be strong in building and defending wonders, as well as attacking other wonder builders/faith nations,
rounding her up into a strong ancient power, that can stand against the tsunami of early rush.

I greatly appreciate these designs,
although they can be in a better layout, as this is quite an eye-sore to read through all those lines.:crazyeye:

This is a balanced design after all, focusing on the golden era system.

I don't know if the golden era bonus will be really significant or not, so commenting the power of this design at this point cannot be relevant.
If the bonuses are really that powerful, I think Hatshepsut will be fairly strong, on top of the Egpytian's power to build wonders.

And the choice of abilities does fit her.
Hatshepsut was bringing stability for Egypt, opening an golden age. And she was a wonder builder as well.
That is why I greatly appreciate making her a leader aimed to create golden ages.

I would like to add an Unique Unit for her though.

If you played the "Gift of Nile" scenario, you will know that there is a melee unit called the "Medjay".
It has higher strength standing adjacent to holy site or sth, as I can roughly remember.
I would like to give it a higher combat strength adjacent to a wonder as well.

Then, combining all those uniques,
Hatshepsut will be strong in building and defending wonders, as well as attacking other wonder builders/faith nations,
rounding her up into a strong ancient power, that can stand against the tsunami of early rush.

Hey thanks! Yeah, sorry about how I organized it, I should've done it better!

I didn't do a unit because I wasn't sure if there were any units specifically for these leaders that were associated with them. The Medjay is a great idea though! I didn't think of it. That helps put a cap on the design, I think! :)

I don't have much in mind other than his ability as of right now:
Abraham Lincoln
Leader Ability: A House Divided - If a city leaves the American Empire, surrounding American cities exert twice the normal amount of Loyalty on it to earn it back, three times the normal amount if those cities have a Governor (does not stack).

I don't have much in mind other than his ability as of right now:
Abraham Lincoln
Leader Ability: A House Divided - If a city leaves the American Empire, surrounding American cities exert twice the normal amount of Loyalty on it to earn it back, three times the normal amount if those cities have a Governor (does not stack).
That's an interesting approach. I do wonder if something loyalty-wise could be added beyond re-claiming free cities to give the power a bit more of an edge but this is a good idea to help keep larger empires together.

Could have a leader that specializes in emergencies. Winston Churchill springs to mind, maybe FDR. Gain bonuses to production, combat strength, etc. Maybe alliance benefits improve by one level during emergencies, and permanently improve if their side wins.

Maybe a colonial-era leader like Isabella could gain a governor-related benefit, such as unlocking a bonus governor when they establish a city on another continent that provides a new luxury resource.

Last edited:
Maybe a colonial-era leader like Isabella could gain a governor-related benefit, such as unlocking a bonus governor when they establish a city on another continent that provides a new luxury resource.
First time a city on a foreign continent is sent a governor, that governor is established automatically?

Shaving off the handful of turns for establishment is a weak benefit, in and of itself. Could compliment a more enticing core ability.
It's not the weakest ability, assuming you have a strategy that involves moving governors around a lot. Otherwise it's a bit weak though, yes.

Aurelian (Rome)
Restorer of the world: gain +10% Combat strength vs rebellious cities, gain +1 gold for each silver and gold rescourse mined

Gudea (Sumer)
God of Lagash: Cities with holy sites construct land units quicker, upon exiting a dark age gain culture for every temple and holy sight

It's not the weakest ability, assuming you have a strategy that involves moving governors around a lot. Otherwise it's a bit weak though, yes.

That's not a bad idea, if yes we can compound it with something. How about this:

Charles/Carlos I (Spain), or you could use Isabella, but I picked him since the development of the Spanish Empire started around his reign.
Captial: Toledo

Ability: El Imperio en el que Nunca se Pone el Sol - "The first time a governor travels to a city on a non-home continent, that governor is established immediately, and loyalty is restored to maximum. Conquering free cities from your empire on your home continent, or cities on other continents, boosts the loyalty of nearby Spanish cities within 9 tiles, and Spain is awarded bonus Faith and Gold from these conquests." (Charles maintained a large empire in both Europe and the Americas, including sanctioning the conquistadores' conquests, so an ability that relies on governors moving between colonies and then having loyalty bonuses for re-conquering your rebellious subjects makes sense for the time period. Additionally, although he is not far off from Phillip II in terms of the timeline, as in Phillip was his successor in Spain, since Gorgo and Pericles didn't live more than a century apart from one another, I don't feel inclined to pick Isabella as my pick here. Plus, this is entirely hypothetical anyway).

Agenda: King by the Grace of God - "Charles will always try to reconquer his free cities and to take control of free cities around him. He hates people that conquer free cities from his civilization, but likes civilizations that return his cities to him."

Top Bottom