Alternatives for preset cities

I have to see the spot, but all seems good, Do you also remove Gerec/Graz (ami tkp Grác magyarul is) and use Zagreb instead or or we will have both?
Lübeck change is welcome too, the current spot is really bad.
Imo Crimea province is fine, you should split Aquitania, Kiev and Novgorod! Also Crimea can support 2 good cities or 1 for resources.

You need to control those provinces for the Genoan UHV. So yeah, you can conquer the new indy city for it.
But the southern part of the province has 1-2 good city positions, so you can also settle there. Actually you should, in order to prevent another civ settling there.

On the other hand, simply dropping down a settler on the southern part of the peninsula won't be enough, you have to own all cities in the province.
So it makes the UHV somewhat harder, which is a good thing, but also makes it less historical, as the Italians never controlled the northern part AFAIK.
Maybe it would be better to split the province?

Maybe just change the Genoan UHV to control at least one city in each province, similar to Poland's? That probably won't affect the other UHV provinces as one city will pretty much cover them.

Actually no, the easiest solution is to leave it as it is now :)
It's not worse for gameplay, so it will remain this way for 1.5.

We will see what to do with it after the provinces are updated.
Even if Crimea won't be split, I plan a bigger UHV overhaul after it's done.

What exactly is Perekop/Taphros supposed to represent though?
It's mainly there to represent Crimea in the second half of the game.
But I also wanted it to be in place by the Kievan spawn, in case they manage to grab it it's a good base position for the Crimean peninsula.
Didn't find any good dates in the 8-9-10th century though, that's the only reason it currently starts in 500AD as a Greek colony.
I will gladly change it if someone has a better idea/suggestion!

Last edited:
Wouldn't it make more sense for Kievan' Rus to settle Oleshye or Tmutarakan for a Black City colony though?

Wouldn't it make more sense for Kievan' Rus to settle Oleshye or Tmutarakan for a Black City colony though?
The Kievan Rus' tends to settle a little north of that in the current iteration of the mod. The AI rarely reaches out to the Black Sea coast, first they go for the core territory of the Rus'.
And it's more or less intentional, those areas were less imporant historically for the Rus' (and they had less impact on them) if I'm not mistaken.

With war the AI have a better chance to grab the city. Also the area isn't totally empty anymore.
But these don't have a too significant effect on gameplay. I'm willing to remove the city if we don't find a historically plausible solution.

Well, what I really meant to say is that I don't think it really matter much whether or not Kievan Rus' can conquer it for a Black Sea port. I think spawning it in the 15th century (or possibly the 13th, as a barbarian Mongol city) would work fine for the purposes of representing Crimea, since it's not like anyone ever settles there before that point anyway.

I think there are two historically sensible solutions for Crimea: a) spawn Chersonesos in 500 AD or b) spawn Kaffa in 1200 AD. Both were small port cities that the Geonese took over.
From a player's perspective, I'd rather see Crimea left empty so I can settle Perekop 1S which I think is the most viable spot for a city on the peninsula.

The point is to represent the Crimean Khanate though, not the Greek (and later Genoese and Ottoman) cities on the southern shore.

@2phunkey4u
While Chersonesos and Kaffa were arguably more important historically, the goal was/is indeed to represent the Crimean Khanate in a way.

Best way for represent Crimean Khanate - harass southern borders of the Moscow state by barbs or add new civ.
Also on Perekop's spot can place a fort with chance convert to city In the 14th-15th centuries.
The peninsula itself needs further redesign.

I would appreciate if you could move that city 1 tile to west. Simply for gameplay reasons. So the other city on the south could be better, and it will still block the entrance to the peninsula. thx

@2phunkey4u
While Chersonesos and Kaffa were arguably more important historically, the goal was/is indeed to represent the Crimean Khanate in a way.
Sorry, I did not get that, also due to the fact that you have the city spawn in 500 AD already. With some "good will for inaccuracy", you could spawn Qırım/Stary Krym on a coastal spot in the 13th century which could become Kaffa/Kefe/Feodosia upon conquest. As an alternative, you could slighty incease the Rus' propensity to settle Kerch which could also serve as a spot that could be reasonably passed on later to Tatars, Genoese and Ottomans.

All in all, I'm rather inclined to argue for leaving Crimea empty as cities like Qirim and Bakhchisaray might be best to represent the Khanate on the one hand, but on the other, being close, non-coastal, they would totally mess up the city placement for other civs with an interest in the area.

All in all, I'm rather inclined to argue for leaving Crimea empty as cities like Qirim and Bakhchisaray might be best to represent the Khanate on the one hand, but on the other, being close, non-coastal, they would totally mess up the city placement for other civs with an interest in the area.
Yeah, this was the main reason I chose Perekop. It doesn't mess up city placement on the southern coast of the peninsula.
We will have to revisit this anyway when Crimea is introduced as a full civ. This is to represent them somehow until that happens.

There's definitely needed Vladimir as a most important center of North Russia before Moscow.
Sounds good to me.
Where would you place it on the current map?

Sounds good to me.
Where would you place it on the current map?
Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_3.png
Also I'd suggest a little probability of spawning of Suzdal (orange) instead of Vladimir and Rostov (yellow) instead of Yaroslavl.

Top Bottom