Americans that try to sound smart by using british terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Americans I know would classify Britishisms as "smart" sounding. That's definitely not the right word.

At best, I suppose "cultured" fits. At worst, however, I'd say "pretentious".

I like saying "bloody"! I use it in curses all the time to make them tastier.:D
Altough, where I come from bloody means bloody. Literally!:devil:

How is "queue" a British term?

I use "bloody" precisely because it's something my group of friends use, and it allows a term that seems less offensive to an American to put emphasis in a sentence without having to result to American cusses, not because it makes me more "intelligent."

I use the word "bloody" for similar reasons. It shows the point while not actually being a "cuss" word. At any rate I can (correctly)use British terms because have many British, Canadian, and Australian friends and relatives.

Perhaps smart was not the best word, like Plexus said maybe "cultured" or pretentious was the right word. Either way, as Brighteye said the problem I have is with people distorting their natural speech to try to sound british for whatever reason they may have.
I'm not trying to be the American patriot or anti-British, I'm just making an observation.
Anyone who does not agree that many Americans who purposefully try sounding British can be anywhere from pretentious to egotistical to snobby has some denial issues.

The OP is just bollocks. Bloody stupid, if you ask me. It's like trying to colour the spoken word black and white. That ain't cool g.
lol Word up!

It is only natural that the terminology we use, the spelling of our words, and how we choose to express ourselves come from what we read and hear in life. And it is only natural that in different situations, different expressions are used. When I talk shop in the work shop, I talk differently than when I talk shop at the pub.

I don't agree with the OPs concerns because where do you draw the line? City, county, state, country, hemisphere??? People in different parts of the US (etc) have different expressions and ways to pronounce things. This is not an international phenomena. "You say Potatoe and I say Potahhtoe..." For most people it has nothing to do with trying to sound 'smart'. Though I have seen people attempt to be cool or fit in by using slang they didn't really know how to use.

That said I do find it humorous when mid-westerners use inner city talk or southerners use valley talk.

Cheerio good chap tis past the time for tea and biscuits.

I say, a merry stroll down to the fish n chip should make for a jolly good time.

The OP makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't know anyone who uses British terms like "bloody" or "queue".

And if anyone ever does say "bloody" it is an attempt at humor.
I tend to use "bloody" when I'm swearing. I usually use it in combination with one or two other words (I'll let you imagine which ones they are, because they're not allowed here).

I use "queue" every day in my duties as an admin of three of the forums I belong to -- as in new members are in the "validation queue" before being approved.

That said I do find it humorous when mid-westerners use inner city talk or southerners use valley talk.
Or when Americans use "eh" in Canada, thinking it's how we all talk. :mischief:

Have a spot of fanny after puffing a fag?

Or when Americans use "eh" in Canada, thinking it's how we all talk. :mischief:
Forget about it. [mob accent] ;)

As a young youth living in Idaho I was guilty for a time using "eh". At that time alot of folks used it as a verbal exclamation point. Then against my wishes we moved to Southern California and I used it in a rebellious way to express my cultural independence lol. Now I cringe :cringe: when I hear it. Thankfully I rarely hear it anymore even though I'm closer to the border than ever before, and I often watch the CBC.

I had to work with a bunch of people from the UP last year, and you heard a whole lot of "eh".

Y'all folks dun gun come down here an' gon getcha selves some dem dere burgers y'all hear?

What a stupid pointless thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom