Amphibious promotion not working?

megabearsfan

Prince
I was playing a modern-era start, hot seat game with Australia, and I was going to execute an amphibious invasion with Diggers. I took the Amphibious promotion, but when I actually executed the amphibious attack (from ocean, against an unpromoted infantry), the combat odds tooltip still showed the -10 penalty for Amphibious attack. I executed the attack anyway (perhaps the promo works, but the tooltip is wrong), and my unit seemed to take damage as if the promotion wasn't working.

Is this promotion broken? Is there something I'm not understanding about how it's supposed to work?

Here's a link to a screenshot:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1214998782

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to put the patch version in the title. I'm playing version 1.0.0.194 (313929). Hopefully a mod can edit the title, since I can't seem to do it on my own.

Last edited:
So, it looks like being embarked reduces combat strength, and then there's an additional penalty applied when making an amphibious attack from ocean to land? I had thought that the amphibious promotion would negate the reduced combat strength as well, but apparently not. In any case, it looks like the promo is still buggy and is being ignored in the case shown above.

So, here's the modifiers that are supposed to be applied to the Digger in the screenshot above:
Base str: 55 (reduced from 72 because it's embarked?)
+10 for coastal
+5 for neutral/foreign territory
+7 for battlecry
He should not be taking the -10 for attacking from sea because he has the Amphibious promotion.

The game is displaying the Digger's strength as 67. The modifiers above should be 55+10+5+7 = 77 (if my elementary school math teachers did their jobs). But the combat odds tooltip is showing 67, and is displaying the -10 for amphibious assault (despite having the amphibious promotion). When I actually make the attack, the end result is in line with the combat predictions. So apparently the amphibious promotion is being ignored (for Diggers at least), and it isn't just a matter of the tooltip being wrong. I'll have to test and see if this is happening with all units, or just Diggers...

Last edited:
I'm having this problem too. The Berserker has promotions Battlecry, Tortoise, and Amphibious, but when poised to attack from the water immediately outside this city, it still gets an amphibious attack penalty. Screenshote: https://snag.gy/Y6iSd4.jpg (Berserker is called 'Ida Bjorken', my great grandmother). So, as stated above, the amphibious promotion is being ignored.

Having fiddled around with this, it seems to have to do specifically with the unit beginning the attack at sea (i.e. in 'boat' form). When, for instance, I place the Berserker on the island to the northwest and begin the attack from there (new turn) it has no amphibious attack penalty! (Nor does it lose all those other points, for being a boat, I guess.)

I'm having this problem too. The Berserker has promotions Battlecry, Tortoise, and Amphibious, but when poised to attack from the water immediately outside this city, it still gets an amphibious attack penalty. Screenshote: https://snag.gy/Y6iSd4.jpg (Berserker is called 'Ida Bjorken', my great grandmother). So, as stated above, the amphibious promotion is being ignored.

Having fiddled around with this, it seems to have to do specifically with the unit beginning the attack at sea (i.e. in 'boat' form). When, for instance, I place the Berserker on the island to the northwest and begin the attack from there (new turn) it has no amphibious attack penalty! (Nor does it lose all those other points, for being a boat, I guess.)

I was planning on doing a test with the Berserker, but never got around to it. If we're understanding how Amphibious is supposed to work, then this is a bug that basically completely neuters the UUs of civs like Norway and Australia, and weakens any civ that is geared towards attacking overseas enemies (like England).

I'm actually curious to maybe try uninstalling the game and seeing if I can reinstall the retail version. I'm wondering if this was always bugged, or if it was broken in a patch at some point.

Top Bottom