An ultimate naval blockage

Moonsinger

Settler
Retired Moderator
This is the last city of the English who was once the most powerful civ on the planet.:D Let's see if they dare to break away from this blockage.;)

Attachments

• navalblockage.jpg
    navalblockage.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 365
This may seem stupid but i've been playin awhile and I still have no idea what a naval blockage does apart from stopin them from sending out ships

In order for them to send out ship (to colonize the world or whatever), they must get pass my blockage first. Their entire fleet is traped inside that blockage. Isn't that great?;)

Okay but why don't you just destroy them?

I'm currently at peace with them. Peace is good for business.:) I just want to trap them and to prevent them from expanding and colonzing the world (there is still a lot of land left out there), that's the whole point of the blockage.:)

By the looks of things you've already won the game if you take them out, so why don't you just don't start a new game?

Working on highscore Moonsinger;)

For a diversion lift the blockade and see where they plan to grow.

Yes, you're right about that. If I could kill them off any time, but what is the fun of doing that. It's only 1852 AD. I have started building my spaceship yet. Morever, I want to build some 40+ size cities.

Originally posted by Beammeuppy
Yup, it's only 1852 AD. I'm planning to milk the rest of the game.;)

For a diversion lift the blockade and see where they plan to grow.
They will colonize the rest of the world. There are still about 1/4 of land left out there. If they get strong again, I may have to fight them again in the future. No more war! I'm tired of war; from this point foward, it's going to be just like SimCities.:)

Yes, alot of land out there, but make sure you don't trigger domination!!

I usually prefer to leave the last AI on a patch of desert or something and surround the city. Then you can sign a ROP and fortify all your units around their city, so they won't:
1. go anywhere
2. Can't improve any of the terrain
3. If they declare war, their citizens can't work any tiles that your units are fortified on, so they will starve down to size 1, if they aren't at size 1 to begin with.
4. Can't make any money with no roads, so they do absolutely 0 research, or their units end up being disbanded because they can't support them.

Congrats on your position. Now you can sit back and relax through a relatively boring 150 turns. Build more cities! Get ecology before you build factories so you're not continually cleaning up hazmat spills.

I've got a different situation. It's 2019 and there are 7 of the 8 left. I could kill off Russia easily, but they don't have any resources worth bothering with. It wouldn't be profitable. Attack China? They do have some things I want, but I can make too much money off the way their size feeds the paranoia of my allies. This allows me to keep their treasuries small, and recalls another Rule of Acquisition: Never let friendship stand in the way of profit. Besides the competition is good for business.

I know, communism and business is an oxymoron.

No one dares go to war against me. Who wants to take on three of the five most powerful nations in the world? We would crush them.

It was posted elsewhere that higher scores are made by winning the game earlier since part of the score is based on year of victory.

Originally posted by kring

It was posted elsewhere that higher scores are made by winning the game earlier since part of the score is based on year of victory.

But that only applies to extremely early victories. The high HOF submissions all are milked to the end.

You can test by triggering a victory in 1900, make a note of the score and then milk the game to the end and compare.

But that only applies to extremely early victories. The high HOF submissions all are milked to the end.

You can test by triggering a victory in 1900, make a note of the score and then milk the game to the end and compare.

If I'm remember well the year 1850 is the last which give you a extra bonus for fast victory.

Regards

I actually enjoy milking the game nd stop only when I have school tommorrow

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Yes, alot of land out there, but make sure you don't trigger domination!!

I think now is a good time for me to download that "mapstat" program to see how many more tiles I need to go. If I do this, would I still be able to submit it to the HoF?

I usually prefer to leave the last AI on a patch of desert or something and surround the city. Then you can sign a ROP and fortify all your units around their city, so they won't:
1. go anywhere
2. Can't improve any of the terrain
3. If they declare war, their citizens can't work any tiles that your units are fortified on, so they will starve down to size 1, if they aren't at size 1 to begin with.
4. Can't make any money with no roads, so they do absolutely 0 research, or their units end up being disbanded because they can't support them.
I originaly was going with that option; however, my artileries mis-fired and reduced that AI city in the desert to size 1. And when I took it, the city is completely destroyed in the process. So I have no choice but to go with the naval blockage. That English city use to be size 17, but my artileries reduced it to a size 1 before I sign the peace treaty.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Why don't you use some of those ships to Rush buildings in Corrupt cities?
Great idea! I'm working on that one. I have been disbanding most of my 300+ infantries already. Those ships will be next.:)

Moonsinger, for HOF entries, mapstat- or bumping the border(thus winning) and reloading from before you won are acceptable. Neither is acceptable for GOTM entries.

If I'm remember well the year 1850 is the last which give you a extra bonus for fast victory.

You get points regardless of what year you win (except 2050 A.D., of course). However, in the later stages of the game the bonus is so small. I believe it's 1 point per YEAR remaining until 2050 multiplied by difficulty level. Example: Win at 1950 A.D. 2050-1950=100 X 3 (for Regent) is 300 point bonus. So, on Regent, if it's after 1950 A.D. you get 3 pts/turn, 1750-1950 A.D.(2 years/turn) its 6 pts/turn. If it's say 700 A.D. (10 years/turn), it would be 30 pts/turn. Even though at 700 A.D., you could get a very big bonus, you would actually end up with more points by going all the way to 2050 A.D. (on most maps). This is because with milking you probably make 20+ points/turn. So even though, you lose a little ground prior to 1000 A.D., you will more than make up for that in the 1750-2050 A.D. era.

That is, of course, if you milk properly, by getting max territory and happiness, and irrigating every single tile, having hospitals and marketplaces in every city, etc. The best strategy is to get just under the domination limit ASAP (start out as warmongerer), then switch to builder mode and build (rush buy) all those marketplaces, aqueducts, and hospitals.

Large, Huge, and some Standard maps, you have a much higher scoring possibility by milking. Tiny and small maps it would be smarter to finish the game quick for the bonus, because on the smaller maps, there just isn't enough territory and population to make up for the early win bonus. The highest possible early win bonus on Deity is about 36,000 pts (win at 3950 B.C.). Aeson got 62,000+ pts by milking.

Top Bottom