Resource icon

Ananse's BFG Modpack 4.11

of course, having said that, the very first sentence of his description said; "THIS MODPACK REQUIRES ALL OPTIONAL DLC..." So I don't know where the confusion is...

There's a SEPARATE MODPACK available on this site and others called Ananse's BFG Cheap Bastard Modpack that has all of the DLC content taken out.

This DLC mod does not work at all. I have disabled ALL mods and kept the Senarios and the DLC content. When I go to Single Player, Create game and either select a leader, map type, size, then click start or go through advanced options, the game GOES right back to the main menu with the words "Start Game." However if I use the Bastard version I can at least get a game going by selecting "Play now." So what is the issue with this mod? I am going to uninstall Civ6, reinstall it and try again. I will let you know.

UPDATE: THIS MOD IS BROKEN!!! Even with a fresh install, I am not able to play any sort of custom game.

If the one that requires DLC doesn't work for you, and the one that doesn't require DLC does work for you, maybe your problem is...

wait for it...

you don't have the fudging dlc ?

UPDATE: I hate you more than words can describe.

@ananse - Is it just me, or is there no attack animation for deck-mounted weapons (cannon battery, deck catapult, etc) - when clicking air attack, it moves forward a tile and then sits there doing nothing until the damage is registered and the unit returns to normal.

@ananse - Is it just me, or is there no attack animation for deck-mounted weapons (cannon battery, deck catapult, etc) - when clicking air attack, it moves forward a tile and then sits there doing nothing until the damage is registered and the unit returns to normal.

Doesn't the game treat them like aircraft though? What attack animation would it use?

Alright so I'm having the "START GAME" crashback to main menu... But I can also verify that I have all the DLC. It works fine on my laptop, but not my desktop - exact same mods installed, tried clean install of everything, still same problem. I'm flabbergasted here.

Works fine on two other rigs, though...

I just checked with the Cheap Bastard version - same crash, but once more only on my desktop. Laptop works fine with exact same mods. Weird.

Doesn't the game treat them like aircraft though? What attack animation would it use?
not sure - can't make sense of the artdef file format but i assumed animations were separate from unitcombat types/combat classes - unless the developers decided to be an absolute **** and hardcode it this time

When people respond to my posts, as you just did, it alerts me and makes it easy to respond. The above posts must have been replies to each other or to other commenters, which don't show up as alerts for me. This is one of several domains I try to check regularly for questions, but the safest bet is always to message me directly with any concerns to make sure I see them promptly. As far as my priorities go related to modding, this thread itself doesn't break the top ten ten.

I can't speak to the exact cause of people's crashes but I strongly suspect they stem from not following directions properly. This modpack requires all DLC to be downloaded and enabled. If you don't have the Aztec DLC enabled and you try to run a mod that references it, you'll get returned to the start screen. I have an alternate modpack available that is made for people without the DLC called "Ananse's BFG Cheap Bastard Modpack" which such persons would want to use instead.

re: the UI question about what different numbers signify, frankly I have no clue! CQUI is incorporated in its entirety because its miles better than the base game's UI, but I didn't write a single line of that code myself and wouldn't pretend to understand all of its features. I would suggest to people who are expecting a super high degree of professionalism here that I am a "one man band" working in my free time without compensation. If you notice a feature is incomplete, feel free to leave a note about it here or somewhere else, but understand that I probably know about the issue already and that it's incompleteness is likely a factor of time constraints.

In that sense I'm only *really* interested in game-breaking problems that cause freezes, crashes, or dramatically impact gameplay. Minor issues with text and display in a mod this large are just what you should expect at this time!

Is it at all possible to make your integration with Moar units modular so we can update those files independently?

This would also work wonders for people like myself that absolutely LOVE R.E.D. modpack that rescales units and adds formations with multiple units.

Im currently using R.E.D. with your mod but this makes it weird because all the vanilla units are smaller with multiple units in a formation that is very immersive and then there are these units you've integrated from More units (that has a patch with R.E.D.) that are as big as unmodded vanilla units and not in formations.

Is it at all possible to make your integration with Moar units modular so we can update those files independently?

This would also work wonders for people like myself that absolutely LOVE R.E.D. modpack that rescales units and adds formations with multiple units.

Im currently using R.E.D. with your mod but this makes it weird because all the vanilla units are smaller with multiple units in a formation that is very immersive and then there are these units you've integrated from More units (that has a patch with R.E.D.) that are as big as unmodded vanilla units and not in formations.

I'll have to take a look at RED and see if I can come up with something.

I just checked with the Cheap Bastard version - same crash, but once more only on my desktop. Laptop works fine with exact same mods. Weird.

That is really curious. The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you have another mod installed on your PC that prevents the files from working correctly. Perhaps you have a mod from back in the day (pre-winter patch) when people used to modify the game's art files directly. This would cause incompatibility with newer mods that don't do that. If you've been playing with mods for a while now (before winter patch) then this is probably what's going wrong. You should delete your files and reinstall civ some time when its convenient and see if it works then.

Alright so I'm having the "START GAME" crashback to main menu... But I can also verify that I have all the DLC. It works fine on my laptop, but not my desktop - exact same mods installed, tried clean install of everything, still same problem. I'm flabbergasted here.

Works fine on two other rigs, though...

Same issue here. Every other mod works fine, but trying to start a game with any of them in combination with the modpack or even just the modpack by itself results in the "start game" displaying for a brief second then a forced return to the main menu. I've been trying to narrow down the cause, I'll update if I happen to figure it out.

@anansethespider I'm still having the "start game" crash to main menu. I have all mods (Aztec, Vikings, and Poland) I've reinstalled 4 times, verified cache integrity, deleted each mod component separately then tried running it, and removed all mods except the DLC and this one. I've included the database log, if you or anyone is able to give me a heads up on where else to look I'd very much appreciate it; now that I've played with the modpack I can't go back to vanilla :(

Edit: Forgot to mention that the "Cheap Bastard" version works fine. But I'm absolutely 100% sure I have all three DLC's, they display correctly in Steam, and all show as purchased in the Steam store :cry:
[3695281.675] [Localization]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695281.676] [Localization]: Passed Validation.
[3695281.684] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695281.685] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[3695293.587] [FullTextSearch]: Initializing FullTextSearch
[3695294.032] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Kinds.Kind
[3695294.032] [Gameplay]: While executing - 'insert into Kinds('Kind') values (?);'
[3695294.032] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Kinds('Kind') with values (KIND_UNIT, ).
[3695294.032] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Kinds from file Units.xml.
[3695294.050] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695294.062] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[3695294.523] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695294.523] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[3695308.575] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695308.575] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[3695309.296] [Gameplay] ERROR: table UnitAbilities has no column named ModifierId
[3695309.296] [Gameplay]: In Query - insert into UnitAbilities('UnitAbilityType', 'ModifierId') values (?, ?);
[3695309.296] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table UnitAbilities from file BalanceJapan.xml.
[3695309.308] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: UnitAiInfos.UnitType, UnitAiInfos.AiType
[3695309.308] [Gameplay]: While executing - 'insert into UnitAiInfos('UnitType', 'AiType') values (?, ?);'
[3695309.308] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into UnitAiInfos('UnitType', 'AiType') with values (UNIT_SPANISH_TERCIO, UNITAI_COMBAT, ).
[3695309.308] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table UnitAiInfos from file BalanceSpain.xml.
[3695309.308] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: UnitAiInfos.UnitType, UnitAiInfos.AiType
[3695309.416] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Requirements.RequirementId
[3695309.416] [Gameplay]: While executing - 'insert into Requirements('RequirementId', 'RequirementType') values (?, ?);'
[3695309.416] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Requirements('RequirementId', 'RequirementType') with values (REQUIRES_PLOT_HAS_HOLY_SITE, REQUIREMENT_PLOT_DISTRICT_TYPE_MATCHES, ).
[3695309.416] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Requirements from file Wonders.xml.
[3695309.416] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Requirements.RequirementId
[3695309.416] [Gameplay] ERROR: FOREIGN KEY constraint failed
[3695309.416] [Gameplay] ERROR: FOREIGN KEY constraint failed
[3695309.416] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695309.419] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on CivilizationTraits.CivilizationType - "CIVILIZATION_AZTEC" does not exist in Civilizations
[3695309.422] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on LeaderTraits.LeaderType - "LEADER_MONTEZUMA" does not exist in Leaders
[3695309.428] [Gameplay]: Failed Validation.
[3695309.435] [Localization] ERROR: NOT NULL constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language
[3695309.435] [Localization]: While executing - 'insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[3695309.435] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Text') with values (LOC_DISTRICT_FISHERY_GOLD, +{2_num} [ICON_Gold] Gold from the adjacent Fishery {1_Num : plural 1?tile; other?tiles;}., ).
[3695309.435] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while updating table LocalizedText from file SpecialtyDistricts_Text.xml.
[3695309.435] [Localization] ERROR: NOT NULL constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language
[3695309.465] [Gameplay] ERROR: FOREIGN KEY constraint failed
[3695309.465] [Gameplay] ERROR: FOREIGN KEY constraint failed
[3695309.465] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_HERBALIST" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_HEALER" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_PREFECT" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_CAPTAIN" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_LIEUTENANT" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_STABLEMASTER" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_WAGON_TRAIN" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_CONVOY" does not exist in Units
[3695309.476] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on UnitAiInfos.UnitType - "UNIT_PRIESTESS" does not exist in Units
[3695309.477] [Gameplay]: Failed Validation.
[3695309.585] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695309.596] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[3695311.803] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[3695311.803] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[3695315.815] [FullTextSearch]: FullTextSearch - Shutting down

Last edited:
@anansethespider I'm still having the "start game" crash to main menu. I have all mods (Aztec, Vikings, and Poland) I've reinstalled 4 times, verified cache integrity, deleted each mod component separately then tried running it, and removed all mods except the DLC and this one. I've included the database log, if you or anyone is able to give me a heads up on where else to look I'd very much appreciate it; now that I've played with the modpack I can't go back to vanilla :(

Edit: Forgot to mention that the "Cheap Bastard" version works fine. But I'm absolutely 100% sure I have all three DLC's, they display correctly in Steam, and all show as purchased in the Steam store :cry:

This helps a lot, I'm looking at it now

This helps a lot, I'm looking at it now

Much appreciated! I updated the database log because I accidentally cut off the first 1/3 of it :crazyeye:, fairly certain it doesn't add anything new, and the errors are still the same, but better safe than sorry. Also, I never purchase the Aztec DLC, but now that it's free I can't imagine that would be a problem; I do have Aztec_Montezuma in the DLC folder, but there's no .dep file in it, just .modinfo? Not sure if there's even supposed to be, but the other DLC's have a .dep file in their folders. Reinstalling the DLC doesn't change anything

[3695309.419] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on CivilizationTraits.CivilizationType - "CIVILIZATION_AZTEC" does not exist in Civilizations
[3695309.422] [Gameplay] ERROR: Invalid Reference on LeaderTraits.LeaderType - "LEADER_MONTEZUMA" does not exist in Leaders

I would strongly suspect this is directly related to your problem. Beyond that, I'm still puzzled as you are. The problem does appear to stem from the fact that you have the Aztec but not as optional DLC...

I would strongly suspect this is directly related to your problem. Beyond that, I'm still puzzled as you are. The problem does appear to stem from the fact that you have the Aztec but not as optional DLC...

Just figured it out, I think...? I didn't change anything other than the modID of your modpack; I changed the first 2 integers to "99" thinking it might be a load order issue, I guess it must have been because it seems to be working fine, for now at least

You're kidding. Could you please post the full modids of your Aztec DLC and your Ananse's BFG Modpack (current and, if you remember it, what it looked like before?)

Sure thing, bolded the change

Old:
Aztec DLC: <Mod id="02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E" version="1">
Modpack: <Mod id="9E6RACA-42EA-0F06-5234-72D956R1264D">

New:
Aztec DLC: <Mod id="02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E" version="1">
Modpack: <Mod id="996RACA-42EA-0F06-5234-72D956R1264D">

OK, I think we have this figured out. The problem has to do with mod load order. I'm looking atw ays to address it and will have a fix up soon.

It's not the specific change you made that matters, it's the fact you made a change at all, which apparently reset its place in the mod load stack. Or something stupid like that. But I should be able to fix it all with specific load order commands, which I'm looking at now.

Top Bottom